Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 06:48 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times

Advertisements

Sometimes when people talk, they overuse the word "just". Oh, it's just this or just that. Seems like they are making whatever they are talking about seem less important. Are they lacking confidence in what they are saying? I've seen this in a couple presentations where I doubt they had planned to say it. It might be one of those words that comes out under nervousness. Maybe I am "just" thinking too much about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Sometimes when people talk, they overuse the word "just". Oh, it's just this or just that. Seems like they are making whatever they are talking about seem less important. Are they lacking confidence in what they are saying? I've seen this in a couple presentations where I doubt they had planned to say it. It might be one of those words that comes out under nervousness. Maybe I am "just" thinking too much about it.
Yes. It's a way of downplaying what they're saying.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Not to mention it's just annoying.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:27 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I don't think they're lacking confidence.. When people overuse the word "just" they almost immediately disconnect from what they're saying like they are playing down their emotions.

Almost like the overuse of the word "it" people use "just" and "it" as a way to not appear too emotional- "Just do this." "It's just." Kinda a dismissive position they take on, which gives the impression they have the upper hand in communicating.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Sometimes they're also just "habits" of speech, with no deeper 'meaning'.

National Geographic: Is Valley Girl Speak, Like, on the Rise?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:19 AM

93 posts, read 93,665 times
I can not speak this like it's a hard core fact for everyone (presumptions can cause confusion) but i can certainly say it about myself...

When i use the word 'just' in a sentence, i am simply stating 'nothing more, nothing less'. this to me says that i do not view the things i state as good or bad and that i instead view them as 'just' a thing which you either agree or disagree with. so if this is how it is for myself, then it may be possible that it is the same for others.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I will leave a message, " Oh. It's just me. Blabla, just wanted to remind you blabla."

Lemme tell ya, you never met anyone with more confidence than me.
Never.
I can do anything,
by His grace, that is.
It just implies, that it is no big deal, not all that imp in the scheme of things...doesn't matter
all that much...not even if you don't get this message!

But, that is not the issue here.

If a person is bothered by any word... or quirk...
having been in therapy myself...I would offer he look at his/her self esteem in himself ...
and thus, the need to control...
typical thing any therapist points to...
Cause all these issues come from inside us, right? And gosh darn it, we don't want to now
see our subconscious issues outside of us reflected back at us!!! hahaha

I got irked by how obsessively this society uses the word 'worry'.... I finally just
let it go...if people want to program their minds that worry is 'normal'...have at it.
So, see, now it doesn't bother me.
Ah, the freedom. I had an issue of wanting to help, but really control people...not any MORE!!

And thus, the word is not so prevalent anymore. Ha!

Old 03-06-2015, 05:21 PM

50,798 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I do that, but I don't think it's lack of confidence as much as for some reason, almost embarrassment/self-consciousness about getting compliments or attention, so I down play it. Many people do that, "Oh, it was nothing, anyone would have saved that little boy drowning". I think it's almost a way to try to deflect attention from ourselves.

It also depends who I'm talking to. If someone I know doesn't have money compliments an expensive sweater or something I'm wearing, I'll say thank you, but add "it was on clearance". I think part of it is guilt for having nice things when maybe that person doesn't not sure. I do think the "just" thing is the same, definitely a good question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology