Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:36 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

I am not a very active Facebook user but if I do something SIGNIFICANT I will post it on Facebook, primarily to share my photo album with a few friends or my family. But my question here is with regard to likes. I hardly get any for the stuff I do.

For instance, I summited Mt. Kilimanjaro last year which by any stretch of the imagination is a major undertaking - I got 5 likes. I hiked to Everest Base Camp - a 12 day expedition which is considered an extreme adventure, got 8 likes. I did something else phenomenal - got like 4 likes.

Note that I have like 110 friends on FB. I am seriously getting irritated by my idiot friends because if they do not wish to interact with me on FB why even have a FB account or why even have them as friends?? I don't see the point of it.

I looked at my friends' activities, posted "OMG! Paris is beautiful" - just one sentence - 33 likes. "Work sucks, can't wait to get home" - again one sentence - 27 likes. "Coffee and breakfast burrito with friends" - 29 likes. ? Do you even need to post this on FB? I would give -10 likes for this sort of nonsense. I guess I am just not in sync with how the likes system works on FB. Either FB users are just retarded or my understanding of what material is actually liked is lacking.

Moderator cut: delete Is it because the stuff I am doing is not resonating with other people? Or are people just plain envious of my accomplishments. If it's the latter then that is plain pathetic I must say!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-27-2015 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: deleted all the filtered words. there is no way to get around them

Old 07-26-2015, 10:42 PM

11 posts, read 9,590 times
HI,

Its not because our works are resonating, i think its because you dont have enough friends within your account. Try to add more friends, engage in more groups ( groups of people having similar interest as yours). Try to be engaging and frequent user.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 PM

269 posts, read 371,115 times
Oh I can certainly relate! I do get a lot of likes when I post photos (of myself) but when I post about way more significant things I get much less of a response - it really irritates me - it seems all my FB community care about or understand are selfies.

I make an effort myself to acknowledge my FB friends' achievements and posts about other things but I get very little back in return. I have removed people who don't interact with me in any way at all, but that I see are active on there - hence my small friend count of < 150.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:02 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
I have to admit, I don't get the trolling for "likes". I have more friend requests by far, than accepted ones. I only have my family & 1 friend that can see my page. If I post something and no one liked it, I wouldn't even know since I don't check anyway. Imo, I don't need validated in that silly way.

I get you care, but I don't understand caring. I'd assume they're jealous, or you sound like you're bragging.? Why don't you join a group away from F.B. that's into things you enjoy doing? (without a like button) I'd rather have someone respond than like anyway.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:07 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
I read somewhere that one should not "live for the approval of likes" or something like that, but I admit this bothers me too.

The main thing that bothers me is that I'm something of a hobbyist photographer and I take much better photos than most people when I really try and the opportunity presents itself. My best photos flirt with being pro-quality. Yet, with such photos, I get almost nothing. Meanwhile, someone posts a photo that is blurry and with the colors being way-off often-times due to those phony "filters" like you see on Instagram or such, and they get like 231 likes. I'm like "what in the WORLD?" It makes me think that people, frankly, have no taste.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,784 times
OP posted: "Note that I have like 110 friends on FB. I am seriously getting irritated by my idiot friends because if they do not wish to interact with me on FB why even have a FB account or why even have them as friends?? I don't see the point of it."

I would say that if you are under 18, you are too old to be worried about such trivial stuff. I don't have FB because of the juvenile mentality of most of the users. I got tired of people sending me Mafia and Farmland (or whatever that childish game was) token requests--people in their 40's and 50's getting upset at me when I didn't want to participate in their preschool activities! I got tired of being hit on by strangers as well as married and single people I hadn't seen in years since school days.

I never really paid attention to who "liked" my posts. I posted things because I wanted to share them. I didn't expect anything in return....no expectations there.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:35 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Sorry op, but sadly I believe your looking for approval from everyone else, and you don't need approval to accomplish or be happy....

Years ago, I noted that when I planned a vacation, people would be negative about it....its the same thing...

don't fret, just please yourself and be happy....

Old 07-27-2015, 07:48 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Some people seek attention by posting their crap on FB. Often it's not the big things that get a lot of Likes but the mundane things that everyone can relate to. A post about how works sucks today and can't wait to get home gets a lot of likes because most others are feeling the same way. Also, the way FB works by showing on your newsfeed what it thinks is relevant probably means your occasional status posts are not being seen on the newsfeed by a lot of your friends. I don't know their algorithms but if you posted more regularly you would probably get on more newsfeeds and thus get more attention, if that's what you seek.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I think FB bases what people see on who they interact with most. Since you don't interact much, your friends might not be seeing your posts. If you want them to interact with you, then you need to interact with them.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
It's just a numbers game. 4-10 likes sounds about right for having 110 friends (I only have 125 myself, and I'm always looking to pare it down. I often have to talk myself out of unfriending someone who's a potential networking contact). I have friends who get a lot more likes - but they also have, like 3000 friends. I do not agree with the advice to add more friends. Why add a lot of people who don't care about you, and vice versa? Continue to be selective - but also understand that you just won't get as many likes as the person with a billion 'friends'.

Facebook also is trying to move us all towards a model where we pay for the service. So they've been really limiting the audience for our posts. Pretty soon you'll see an option to "boost" your post for a small fee (this is already done for business pages). It's how they're manipulating us.

Another thing is, when you post about things like Kilimanjaro (congrats, by the way!), are you including a billion photos or just a select few? Sometimes people inundate us with photos, then they make a post about their vacation. I feel like if I already liked one or two of your photos, I don't necessarily have to like the post. I already let you know I acknowledged your trip and thought it was cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships