Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 AM

367 posts, read 460,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think FB bases what people see on who they interact with most. Since you don't interact much, your friends might not be seeing your posts. If you want them to interact with you, then you need to interact with them.
^ This.

People don't know you as well on facebook, so they're not going to either: 1) spend much time interacting with you or 2) think that they are not one of your better friends because of it and just gloss over it. It's easier to like a picture of their best friend's cat. or 3) A rare message from you is between two messages from people they know a lot better on their newsfeed, so your message is lost in the shuffle.

Size of the friend list is also a factor. Naturally is one's list is only around 200 or so (which seems to me to be about the average), you don't have much of an opportunity to get likes as opposed to someone who has 2000 friends.

If you're list is less then that, then people know facebook isn't as big of a deal to you. That's perfectly fine and all, but people know who to interact with and who to just say "nice picture, or wow, that was cool for them" and continue scrolling.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 AM

367 posts, read 460,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think fb has some sort of thing where more "popular" people pop up on people's news feed. My husband doesn't post very much but when he does it sometimes doesn't even come up on my news feed. Sometimes I will "share" it and it will get a load of likes.
This user-selected setting is the most popular post, not the most popular person.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 AM

155 posts, read 305,983 times
Sounds like you are TOO awesome. People don't like it when you do really amazing things on facebook. It makes them jealous!! Keep on being awesome =)

Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,838,425 times
Facebook likes or lack of them don't bother me. On the other hand I live for those CD rep's and the stars that come with them. No really I'm kidding but those stars are so much more fun then Facebook's likes. Those stars must be connected to some happy childhood memories when the teacher put a star on your papers. Facebook likes....meh. Put something funny on Facebook k374 and see if you get any likes. Most people don't like having something rubbed in their noses that is out of their reach. Do you post a beautiful picture of your trips instead of a selfie that says hey look at me I'm on top of a mountain? A beautiful photo goes a long way vs a selfie brag. Now someone give me a rep point quick because I'm going through with drawl.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:02 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,960,758 times
I actually value my CD reps much more than FB "likes." I feel like the reps are about the merit (or humor) of my actual statements and not about whether people like me or even know me. On FB, people "like" a lot of crap just because the like the person. I take more pride in total strangers liking something I've actually put thought into.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM

756 posts, read 837,533 times
Thumbs down I Was Irritated Years Ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I am not a very active Facebook user but if I do something SIGNIFICANT I will post it on Facebook, primarily to share my photo album with a few friends or my family. But my question here is with regard to likes. I hardly get any for the stuff I do.

For instance, I summited Mt. Kilimanjaro last year which by any stretch of the imagination is a major undertaking - I got 5 likes. I hiked to Everest Base Camp - a 12 day expedition which is considered an extreme adventure, got 8 likes. I did something else phenomenal - got like 4 likes.

Note that I have like 110 friends on FB. I am seriously getting irritated by my idiot friends because if they do not wish to interact with me on FB why even have a FB account or why even have them as friends?? I don't see the point of it.

I looked at my friends' activities, posted "OMG! Paris is beautiful" - just one sentence - 33 likes. "Work sucks, can't wait to get home" - again one sentence - 27 likes. "Coffee and breakfast burrito with friends" - 29 likes. WTF?? Do you even need to post this bullSht on FB? I would give -10 likes for this sort of nonsense. I guess I am just not in sync with how the likes system works on FB. Either FB users are just retarded or my understanding of what material is actually liked is lacking.

WTF? Is it because the stuff I am doing is not resonating with other people? Or are people just plain envious of my accomplishments. If it's the latter then that is plain pathetic I must say!
Facebook.

I do not have any FaceBook account now.

I like people, but not THAT much.

All of your examples is a few of many reasons why I do not have Facebook.

And I could not care less about how many people "Like" something I do or don't do.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:47 PM

7,203 posts, read 4,891,944 times
Quote:
I am not a very active Facebook user but if I do something SIGNIFICANT I will post it on Facebook, primarily to share my photo album with a few friends or my family. But my question here is with regard to likes. I hardly get any for the stuff I do.

For instance, I summited Mt. Kilimanjaro last year which by any stretch of the imagination is a major undertaking - I got 5 likes. I hiked to Everest Base Camp - a 12 day expedition which is considered an extreme adventure, got 8 likes. I did something else phenomenal - got like 4 likes.

Note that I have like 110 friends on FB. I am seriously getting irritated by my idiot friends because if they do not wish to interact with me on FB why even have a FB account or why even have them as friends?? I don't see the point of it.

I looked at my friends' activities, posted "OMG! Paris is beautiful" - just one sentence - 33 likes. "Work sucks, can't wait to get home" - again one sentence - 27 likes. "Coffee and breakfast burrito with friends" - 29 likes. WTF?? Do you even need to post this bullSht on FB? I would give -10 likes for this sort of nonsense. I guess I am just not in sync with how the likes system works on FB. Either FB users are just retarded or my understanding of what material is actually liked is lacking.

WTF? Is it because the stuff I am doing is not resonating with other people? Or are people just plain envious of my accomplishments. If it's the latter then that is plain pathetic I must say!

That's what it is. They're all jealous.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:50 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,163,843 times
It's not REALLY you. It's the way FB works.

If you really rarely ever post, then all your friends may not even see your post when you finally do get around to it.

They also rank posts differently according to how often you interact with other friends.

So don't take it so personally. Blame the logarithm.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM

15,844 posts, read 20,657,743 times
4-10 likes sounds about right.

I NEVER post or read FB. I maintain a sort of professional profile just for the sake of having one. Every one in a while I might change my profile pic, or cover photo..but other than that I spend maybe 10 mins a MONTH on FB. If I post a pic, I might get 3-5 likes and that's it. I chalk it up to infrequent posting...and that's fine for me. I only have 100 friends or so. I only keep close friends I actually interact and like with as friends.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:35 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,928,747 times
Quote:
WTF? Is it because the stuff I am doing is not resonating with other people?
It's mostly just this. They can't relate or do not really care, as much as it is cool for you.

Also a lot of people may not be seeing it because you post so infrequently. I think it shows up but people will skip right over it if it's just 1 of many posts that come up. If it's a pic of you on a mountain, some may scroll right by it thinking ok this person went skiing and move on. You can make some remarks and engage your friends more too.

I don't spend much time posting or reading FB anymore but when I want to show something with the kids I'll put something up but don't expect much attention. With about 180 friends, I may get 10-20 likes, from others with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships