Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:23 AM

28,984 posts, read 30,391,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Wow... I can not imagine being without my iphone or a cell phone. Forget someone needing to get hold of me ... what if I need to get hold of them!!!! I honestly feel the world feels more scary when I do not have a phone on me. I know that I would not die without it, but it makes life sooo much easier. I need directions ... music, communication .... questions ... iphones got you covered.
I don't have one, believe it or not....hate them, they are responsible for so many people using them while driving...causing accidents, killing people....I hate cells...actually hate talking on the phone period.

I have a GPS, that I can use when need be....and a radio on my car, plus a whole lot of CD's.

But I refuse to be controlled by some machine...if someone needs to get a hold of me, they have my landline and work number so.....

I just think its silly, having to have a phone with you at all times? To me, it seems so un-natural
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:26 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,153,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't have one, believe it or not....hate them, they are responsible for so many people using them while driving...causing accidents, killing people....I hate cells...actually hate talking on the phone period.

I have a GPS, that I can use when need be....and a radio on my car, plus a whole lot of CD's.

But I refuse to be controlled by some machine...if someone needs to get a hold of me, they have my landline and work number so.....

I just think its silly, having to have a phone with you at all times? To me, it seems so un-natural
The convenience of having both a phone and the internet at your fingertips is beyond belief.

Two weekends ago, my mother (who is in her 70s) left the house without her cellphone to meet me at a restaurant. She was an hour late because she kept driving in circles trying to find the place. She eventually had to borrow a stranger's cell phone to call me. If she had her phone she could have called me right away.

Not to mention I work outside the office, so a cellphone to keep in contact with my boss is absolutely critical.

I respect that you don't want a cellphone, but just realize your stance is very much in the minority.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've done it since childhood, and it has actually helped me all my life in coping with any bad thing that has happened. I only learned in adulthood that I was actually using a therapeutic intervention called "stress inoculation" which has been found to help prevent or reduce the risk of people developing PTSD.
I was very anxious as a kid, so I would fantasize about the "worst of the worst" things happening, to the point where I could start crying as if it really had happened, actually feeling the feelings. Then when the bad thing happened, or something similar happened in the future, I handled it MUCH better than I would have otherwise.

There is a woman/neighbor who does kind of the same thing....
When she is going somewhere, she actually works it out in her mind, how things are supposed to happen, details that fall into place....and boy, if it doesn't she gets so upset....?????? She really scares me sometimes....

Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
jobaba The convenience of having both a phone and the internet at your fingertips is beyond belief.
No thank you....

Quote:
Two weekends ago, my mother (who is in her 70s) left the house without her cellphone to meet me at a restaurant. She was an hour late because she kept driving in circles trying to find the place. She eventually had to borrow a stranger's cell phone to call me. If she had her phone she could have called me right away.
yeah well, maybe if she had had it, she would have called you and b/c she was lost, had been in an accident b/c she was on the phone and lost?

Quote:
Not to mention I work outside the office, so a cellphone to keep in contact with my boss is absolutely critical.
whatever....

Quote:
I respect that you don't want a cellphone, but just realize your stance is very much in the minority.

I definately know that, but it surely doesn't make me want one more....I really hate the telephone, talking on it, etc....and as far as not having the internet at my fingertips is fine.

I was in a doctors office, and a woman was talking on the phone to her mother, made me sick, I was trying so hard to read, and I had to hear her personal conversation......

Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Wow... I can not imagine being without my iphone or a cell phone. Forget someone needing to get hold of me ... what if I need to get hold of them!!!! I honestly feel the world feels more scary when I do not have a phone on me. I know that I would not die without it, but it makes life sooo much easier. I need directions ... music, communication .... questions ... iphones got you covered.
and I think it's pretty pathetic, human beings walking down the sidewalk or in a building, whose noses are glued to their devices. They should have them surgically implanted.....

Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
whatever....
You know, I'm all for having civil conversations and I appreciate others' point of view.

But I say that having a phone at my job is critical, which it is. If I refused to have one, I'd have to start looking for another job. I need to be in touch with my boss so we can make decisions on the job site.

And you roll your eyes at me and say whatever?

I just don't understand why you would do that.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You know, I'm all for having civil conversations and I appreciate others' point of view.

But I say that having a phone at my job is critical, which it is. If I refused to have one, I'd have to start looking for another job. I need to be in touch with my boss so we can make decisions on the job site.

And you roll your eyes at me and say whatever?

I just don't understand why you would do that.
well, I didn't mean to be condescending, although in your mind I probably was....and I'm sorry for that....

While I was reading your statements, I just couldn't help but think, "whatever did we do years ago, when we didn't have cell phones?" We connected ourselves with visits to each other and neighbors were close, we knew everyone, and I'm real sorry those days are gone...and that is what I meant by whatever, sorry.

We were much more aware of our surroundings then....

I should think of how the person I'm writing to perceives my comments more, and I don't, so thank you for the reminder....

Technology is a wonderful thing, and I'm glad that the internet has opened a world of knowledge to people....so there are many positive instances to it all....

I just find that people walking around with their telephones planted in their ears all the time, is such a waste of perceiving nature, and so many other things, like talking with strangers, etc.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
well, I didn't mean to be condescending, although in your mind I probably was....and I'm sorry for that....

While I was reading your statements, I just couldn't help but think, "whatever did we do years ago, when we didn't have cell phones?" We connected ourselves with visits to each other and neighbors were close, we knew everyone, and I'm real sorry those days are gone...and that is what I meant by whatever, sorry.

We were much more aware of our surroundings then....

I should think of how the person I'm writing to perceives my comments more, and I don't, so thank you for the reminder....

Technology is a wonderful thing, and I'm glad that the internet has opened a world of knowledge to people....so there are many positive instances to it all....

I just find that people walking around with their telephones planted in their ears all the time, is such a waste of perceiving nature, and so many other things, like talking with strangers, etc.
No problem.

When a person uses the emoticon in response to something I say, I feel like they are either calling me an idiot or challenging me to a debate (while calling me an idiot).

Which don't get me wrong, I've had my share of senseless internet arguments, but I am not in that state of mind at all in this thread.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
No problem.

When a person uses the emoticon in response to something I say, I feel like they are either calling me an idiot or challenging me to a debate (while calling me an idiot).

Which don't get me wrong, I've had my share of senseless internet arguments, but I am not in that state of mind at all in this thread.
no, no, no, wasn't calling you an idiot....its tough sometimes, b/c we can't see each other's faces, therefore, its so easy to take posts the wrong way....

so, I was using the eye roll, b/c for me, it's such a huge change that has come over our world....and everyone is doing it...and it's ok, except as humans tend to do, they've taken things way to far....

pssst...actually I don't have a cell, b/c I have no friends....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships