Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,214,911 times

Advertisements

There is this guy who I occasionally run across. I knew him from this political discussion drinking group I used to go to (sort of a beer, bar food and politics thing, once/month), but our paths started overlapping a bit since we went to some similar live music venues and open mic nights.

I sort of want someone to go out with to see live music shows, check out some of the new craft beer places around here, etc. Just a buddy to go out with.

I sort of broached this via an email to him, in response to one to me about letting me know when a local perfomer is going to be playing, but he hadn't responded.

He knows I'm gay, so I am wondering if he is misreading my intentions (which are strictly platonic) or he might be uncomfortable being seen with me. He is single, had a break-up with a girlfriend a while back (not sure of the details). There is also an age difference...I think he is in his 30s or late 20s, while I am mddle age.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I am fine with being just a casual acquaintance with this guy (someone where our paths cross now and then), but wanted something a bit more planned. To be frank I am not sure how one goes about this....without it seeming forced and odd. My inclinations is to just let it lie and not push it.

Anyway, thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 01:53 PM

6,495 posts, read 7,869,283 times
If I were him, I probably would not think that you meant it as strictly platonic. My guess is that that is the sticking point. A follow up email clarifying what you meant may be OK.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:00 PM

30,788 posts, read 18,564,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
If I were him, I probably would not think that you meant it as strictly platonic. My guess is that that is the sticking point. A follow up email clarifying what you meant may be OK.
I agree. Although I would probably have asked him to his face initially (for future reference). Emails lead to too much reading between the lines, which often leads to misunderstandings, etc.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:42 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,214,911 times
Yeah, I think I will just drop this idea.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,854,327 times
Leave it. No need to explain anything. If he doesn't have the decency to respond then you don't need to waste any time thinking about it.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,757,417 times
OP, you would really be better off trying to start friendships with people who are closer to your own age and also sexual orientation.

Let's face it, most people are most comfortable with people who are similar to them.

It sounds like you're old enough to be his father(in addition to him being straight and you gay), most people don't want to hang with people who are their parent's age or close to it.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:56 PM

607 posts, read 1,409,953 times
Whether he answers you or not, I would clarify my intentions in another email so that there will be no tension when your paths cross again.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:00 AM

127 posts, read 102,168 times
I don't think you should reach out via email. Too much potential for crossed signals. Talk to him in person when you run into him but don't try to explain that you're not "interested" in him. I would never suspect a man who I knew was gay was trying to hit on me unless he 1) openly and unambiguously said he was trying to hit on me or 2) he started denying he was trying to hit on me.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:48 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,757,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Whether he answers you or not, I would clarify my intentions in another email so that there will be no tension when your paths cross again.
No, no more emails. In reality the OP should have asked this guy when he ran into him about upcoming events and would they like to attend one together.

But no more emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
I don't think you should reach out via email. Too much potential for crossed signals. Talk to him in person when you run into him but don't try to explain that you're not "interested" in him. I would never suspect a man who I knew was gay was trying to hit on me unless he 1) openly and unambiguously said he was trying to hit on me or 2) he started denying he was trying to hit on me.
^^^^ this.

But I also think the OP should find people closer to his own age range to hang out with. Straight or gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships