Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 10:52 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,785 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...

I am considering growing shiitakes in my yard. I understand that using oak logs and sawdust that is coated with mushroom spores, you can have a mushroom crop (after a year or two). I have what seems to be the ideal setup...

I live on eastern LI near the sound where summers are relatively cool and humid (low to mid 80s is about as warm as it gets...upper 70s is more common)

My backyard is shaded for the most part...with a few hours of filtered sun each day.

We get ample...consistent rain throughout the summer (and I have a water source if not)

Does anyone have experience growing shiitakes outdoors? I don't want one of the log kits...I'd like to do it on a larger scale and the sawdust spore seems the most cost effective.

Any advice from mushroom growers is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:48 PM

209 posts, read 657,768 times
ive grown mushrooms before and let me tell you its worth it. those things are expensive to buy and you get them in ur backyard for free almost. ive grown shiitake and morels.

if you want to grow them outside grow them in a shady but a little filtered sunlight maybe where you can keep them constantly moist. it will take a year or 2 to get them started. you can grow the shiitakes two ways. use the saw dust and sprinkle spawn on it and make sure its a hardwood saw dust like oak, elm, hickory or beech ideally. do not use conifer trees or rot resistant wood like cedar or cyprus. the other way to do it is use cut logs and drills holes in the logs and pound in spore plugs and seal them with a wax.

the downside of growing them with sawdust is they wont last as long as using the logs because the sawdust rots quicker. but the sawdust will give you more. the longs wont give you as many but still a lot and will last longer. choose which way you want more.

good luck with growing ur mushrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden