Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,701,516 times

Advertisements

I have some Facebook friends who consistently post items that I find pretentious. I grew up with parents who always wanted to be "under the radar" and if they did or bought anything else attributed to affluence, it was done quietly. I rarely reveal such things either. I was just raised to believe these things are private and its tacky to show this side to the world.

Therefore, it is off-putting to me when I see a lot of postings like:

"My maid always forgets to dust the lightbulbs, don't you just hate that!"

"Dang, we need to get another house, don't know where we'll put the new Masarati (photo included)"

"Out for a sunday walk in the 'hood with the doggies (but the photo has a tiny corner showing dogs, the photo is intended to brag on the neighborhood)"

"Love coming home after a hard day's work to the fam (photo is a family pool time at resort-style backyard with outdoor kitchen, water features, etc....again most of the photo captures the luxury and very little of the kids -- or in this case the dogs & husband."

Have you noticed this stuff?
Am I the only one who finds this tacky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,183,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have some Facebook friends who consistently post items that I find pretentious. I grew up with parents who always wanted to be "under the radar" and if they did or bought anything else attributed to affluence, it was done quietly. I rarely reveal such things either. I was just raised to believe these things are private and its tacky to show this side to the world.

Therefore, it is off-putting to me when I see a lot of postings like:

"My maid always forgets to dust the lightbulbs, don't you just hate that!"

"Dang, we need to get another house, don't know where we'll put the new Masarati (photo included)"

"Out for a sunday walk in the 'hood with the doggies (but the photo has a tiny corner showing dogs, the photo is intended to brag on the neighborhood)"

"Love coming home after a hard day's work to the fam (photo is a family pool time at resort-style backyard with outdoor kitchen, water features, etc....again most of the photo captures the luxury and very little of the kids -- or in this case the dogs & husband."

Have you noticed this stuff?
Am I the only one who finds this tacky?
Yes, it is extremely tacky.

But, I haven't noticed anything like that with any of my Facebook friends. Usually they just share photographs of their kids FRONT & CENTER and a few cartoons and recipes.

Maybe you need new Facebook friends.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
If one deactivates facebook like we did several years ago, one does not see things like this however, if one has friends who prefer to not draw needless attention to themselves such issues are not an issue. Only those who wish to impress others with their self perceived wealth and success do things like this and if the full truth were known they are more than likely over extended and in debt above their earlobes.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
No I have not. Not among my circle of facebook friends. But I did with one.

I did defriend someone a few years ago for similar things. He was in a New Wave rock band in the 70s and 80s. Everyone knows he has money. He really didn't need to post photos of his 1700s restored Connecticut farm house or a 2 year bottle of wine or an Astin Martin. It was obnoxious.

So in a post, I called him out on it. I said "we get it" you have money, not can you stop postings photos of your possessions? It's getting old."

Because I embarrassed him, he defriended me. (was about to do that anyway, but I wanted to let him know why.

Through that I received many friend requests and made one good friend.

Because he was a "famous person" some people like to have him on their friend list, and he was getting away with things that most others would not.

So if these people annoy you, unfriend them. But first tell them why.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
The people on my Facebook were generally not affluent, so this didn't come up, but it cuts both ways too. A lot of the people on my Facebook were not well off and constantly complained about gas money, lack of income, their crappy jobs, etc.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,916,539 times
I think those people fall into the larger category of people who want to convince the world and themselves that the life they portray on facebook is their real life.
"If I post enough about how much I love my husband, how wonderful my kid is, how beautiful my home is, and all the flashy things I buy, then my life will magically become that fantasy."
I kind of think there's an inverse relationship between the amount of these posts a person puts out, and the level of satisfaction with their own lives.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
Yes, it's always been considered tacky to advertise one's wealth but those people are speaking to like-minded folks, so they don't care.

I wouldn't be surprised if many, if not most, of them are financial fakers, anyway.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:59 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The people on my Facebook were generally not affluent, so this didn't come up, but it cuts both ways too. A lot of the people on my Facebook were not well off and constantly complained about gas money, lack of income, their crappy jobs, etc.
That's how some of my FB friends are. There's always the one Eeyore type who comments, "must be nice to be able to afford a vacation," when someone posts pictures from their trip.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,246,041 times
I have one whose statuses always have something to do with which latest gadget she's getting. When the iphone 4s came out, she was like "should I get it in gold?"...then the iphone 5 came out 10 minutes later and she had to advertise that she was upgrading. Who cares? Same with all the tablets and ipads. Do we need to know that you have 5 of them? LOL She tends to comment also about her car, which isn't a big a deal but she has to make sure she throws in there the make and model--it's an SUV that plenty of other people I know also have. Her husband had gone away somewhere and he brought her back a designer handbag "to add to her collection"--a brand that I have about 6 of hanging in my closet. She's a nice woman but she was like that when we worked together many years ago. I get it. You have nice things. I do too but not everyone needs to know LOL

Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,544,446 times
Those who find their FB friends' posts annoying but don't want to unfriend them: you do realize you can take them out of your general newsfeed and set up a separate list for them, right?

Then it's your option to look or not look at their posts, whatever strikes your fancy at the moment.

None of my FB friends do that sort of overt or passive bragging or whiny nonsense. A few DO pass on annoying political and religious junk, so I keep them on the exile list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships