Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm too self absorbed to care what others think. I don't worry if someone has a nicer vacation or a nicer house. I'm mainly happy for them that they worked hard and are able to enjoy the fruits of their labor. If they have the money and aren't mooching, good for them. I share things about my life with others not as a means of bragging, but a means of telling what is happening in my life. I'm not the jealous type. If someone else is, it is their problem, not mine.

I don't do Facebook, but will periodically updates pictures and emails. I'd be more annoyed by someone bragging about using their meager funds to buy pot than someone who spent a small fortune of well earned money to visit Italy.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 04-14-2014 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: word missing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 12:05 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Facebook = fakebook.

I block posts from people who show off on fakebook to make me jealous.

Especially the ones who post all these happy couple pics but then email me and ask me for relationship advice.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Those who find their FB friends' posts annoying but don't want to unfriend them: you do realize you can take them out of your general newsfeed and set up a separate list for them, right?

Then it's your option to look or not look at their posts, whatever strikes your fancy at the moment.

None of my FB friends do that sort of overt or passive bragging or whiny nonsense. A few DO pass on annoying political and religious junk, so I keep them on the exile list.

Yup--I've done that with several people but only because I really don't interact with them that much and I also have the political/religious fanatics that I hid. Also hid someone who posted 3-4 selfies a day fishing for compliments. It's great that she lost a lot of weight and we've been telling her for years that she looks good but I got tired of her daily regimine followed by bathroom selfies. The one particular friend that I mentioned about her boasting--we actually keep in touch and interact on FB often so I'd hate to hide her. When I see her nonsense posts I just scroll right past them

Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,117 times
I'm not on Facebook but I've noticed an increase in people bragplaining which is a stupid word I just made up that's kind of like a humblebrag only instead of disguising the brag with humility, they're disguising it with a complaint.

See;

Ugh, I'm so stressed.

Aww, what's wrong?

Well, like, I'm getting all of these great acting jobs that pay really well and stuff and I'm hanging out with a ton of big names people would kill to meet who can totally get my foot in the door, so I'm pretty much on the rise now, but my god, it's like, I have no time for myself! I mean, can I just breathe for a minute, am I right?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
[quote=cyberphonics;34365589]I'm not on Facebook but I've noticed an increase in people bragplaining which is a stupid word I just made up that's kind of like a humblebrag only instead of disguising the brag with humility, they're disguising it with a complaint.

See;

Ugh, I'm so stressed.

Aww, what's wrong?

Well, like, I'm getting all of these great acting jobs that pay really well and stuff and I'm hanging out with a ton of big names people would kill to meet who can totally get my foot in the door, so I'm pretty much on the rise now, but my god, it's like, I have no time for myself! I mean, can I just breathe for a minute, am I right?[/quote]

Hahaa, that is funny

Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Get better friends. I don't know anyone like that. Why are you friends with so many deeply materialistic people?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:54 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
I'm not on Facebook but I've noticed an increase in people bragplaining which is a stupid word I just made up that's kind of like a humblebrag only instead of disguising the brag with humility, they're disguising it with a complaint.

See;

Ugh, I'm so stressed.

Aww, what's wrong?

Well, like, I'm getting all of these great acting jobs that pay really well and stuff and I'm hanging out with a ton of big names people would kill to meet who can totally get my foot in the door, so I'm pretty much on the rise now, but my god, it's like, I have no time for myself! I mean, can I just breathe for a minute, am I right?
On principle, I unfriend anyone who posts anything with the phrase "am I right?" in it. Mainly because I am unable to head-butt them in person.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
So if you are into cars and get a new car you better not post a pic bc people will think you are bragging?

What?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Guess those of us who are able to be happy for others without suspecting nefarious motives can keep our friends and social media accounts.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:59 PM

541 posts, read 860,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Have you noticed this stuff?
Am I the only one who finds this tacky?
Yes, I've noticed it, but more so in blogs that I read. I sometimes think that these people believe they have to show off their supposed wealth with many pictures of their designer purchases and places they claim to own (and never let us know of their credit card debts). I was also raised to be low key and not ostentatious.

Some say the Nouveau Riche can be quite vulgar. I can understand why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships