Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,769,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I am not clear on why you have to be "humble" - it's not like you accomplished anything other than being born. Your relatives accomplished something - you did nothing.

Exactly. "I'm humble because my uncle coaches _____ and my cousin is a famous basketball player and my other cousin is a movie producer......" DUMB There's nothing for the OP to be "humble" about since he's done nothing except brag about supposed relatives who've accomplished things in their careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,705,261 times
By definition aren't you NOT humble if you mention you are humble?

edit to add: humble is one of those words that look and sound weirder the more you look at it

Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,722,375 times
Like any other people. I have some in my family, it does not change anything.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,499,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastfanmang View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering how you would deal with this. My question is how would you deal with life if you had famous relatives? Me for example:
-Famous Athlete Basketball (Dad’s Side)
-Grammy Winning Music Producer (Dad Side)
-Uncle NFL Coach (moms side)
-Cousin-Associate producer producer in hollywood (moms side)

Recently I got invited by that famous basketball player’s sister to help out with something for the Obama’s. Anyway, I’m very humble and never brag. Only a handful I like sharing this. I recently shared the president news with a friend and envy was all over his face. I was disappointed. I try to get my friends involved. I introduced my friend who is an aspiring football coach (he coach’s high school). I got my uncle to help my friend break down film and to help him pick his brain. I get my barber pro gear when I go to NFL games. I gave a friend who wants to be an actor a chance to audition for my cousin in NY. So with the stuff I’m sharing would you not tell anybody? I have opportunities and resources that some are not fortunate to have, so I like helping. Any advice? Thx
I'm in the music business and have been for most of my life, and I'm also the author of several well-known novels and some other 'stuff.' I know most of the 'who's who' crowd in the entertainment industry, but most don't take kindly to having their name dropped without permission. If you'd like to help a friend out, be sure to obtain permission first. Hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,781,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
OP, go talk to someone who REALLY has a famous relative and you might get a clue.

LOL! Best comment on here.

Living in CA for many years I knew someone who was the son of an old time movie star from the 50's and 60's, very down to earth guy and didn't go around saying who he was the son of. He was also loaded $$$$$$$, but you would never know it.

I love how the OP says I don't like to brag and than lists these people....LOL. Most people don't care or know about record producers or writers. And not everyone is impressed with sports figures.

On a side note many years ago I worked with a woman whose sister is a TV actress, and has been on few sitcoms. EVERYY damn day(we sat in cubicles) she had to bring this up, she would be talking to clients/customers and you would hear her say "well my sister is a celebrity", this had nothing to do with conducting business.

People in the office would roll their eyes and make fun of her behind her back.

I mean her sister was on a couple of sitcoms, she wasn't Julia Roberts...LOL.

Maybe you're very young OP, but you have a lot to learn. The less said the better unless it is appropriate at the time.

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-16-2014 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 09:09 PM

17 posts, read 19,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
I'm in the music business and have been for most of my life, and I'm also the author of several well-known novels and some other 'stuff.' I know most of the 'who's who' crowd in the entertainment industry, but most don't take kindly to having their name dropped without permission. If you'd like to help a friend out, be sure to obtain permission first. Hope this helps.
Yeah I've always obtained permission. I put all this info on here. Other than my barber, parents, and close friends my coworkers/anybody else know nothing about what I mentioned on here.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:13 PM

17 posts, read 19,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Exactly. "I'm humble because my uncle coaches _____ and my cousin is a famous basketball player and my other cousin is a movie producer......" DUMB There's nothing for the OP to be "humble" about since he's done nothing except brag about supposed relatives who've accomplished things in their careers.
I really can't help that these are my relatives my man.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 AM

34,618 posts, read 21,778,234 times
I'm a little more than perplexed that so many people seem to get riled up about this.

My father is a computer programmer, and I'd bet three quarters of my friends can tell you what my father does, and I can tell you about theirs. Since we are friends, we talk about our lives and families.

If I have a friend who has a famous or interesting relative, I'd like to know it, because it's interesting. One friend's father built experimental aircraft as a hobby. I liked hearing about it because it's cool. If his father, or uncle, or cousin were a NFL coach, yeah, I'd like to hear about it.

Will I ever become friends with a person just because their father is a NFL coach or an actor? No.

One of my friends has an uncle who is a carrier captain. When my friend comes back from seeing him at family functions, I love hearing about the stories he's heard from his uncle. If his uncle was a NFL coach, why wouldn't I want to hear those interesting stories?

I don't know if some people are so self-centered they just don't want to take the time to hear anybody else talk about the interesting things going in with their friends and families or if they are just so wrapped up in tv and other stuff, that they never really talk to their friends.

I suppose it's possible that the OP came here to brag, but what if he just came here to get advise like others do every day? Do you also assume the people who come here to ask advise about their kid moving out or dating the wrong person come here just for the drama?

It seems to me this is getting blown way out of proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships