Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM

17 posts, read 18,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I could say so much about this but I would probably get temp banned again plus my point would still be the same. Who cares if you are related to someone who is well known, famous, or who holds a prominent position like some of your relatives do? Fame by association... never understood people who do that and honestly, annoying as hell when you have to worry about a relative or friend acting like they deserve the "fame" perks just because they are related.

Mentioning that you know famous people is one thing but bragging about it to the point of which it sounds like you do, just makes you look desperate. Don't you see that some people will befriend you, just to use you, to get what they want?

I am not saying you are doing all of that but your post doesn't make any sense to me because you ask how to "handle" it then you say you are humble. Did you ever consider that you may be coming off like a bragging showoff, unintentionally?

TBH, I would distance myself from a relative like you because wouldn't trust you with my private life. Especially if you were always asking me for autographed photos or other stuff to give to random people you know, like your barber. Wonder what your "famous" relatives think about you when you do that. I would think you were trying to use me and my "fame" for your own personal gain.
I forgot to mention that you had a good point. I did have some in the past just use me and it felt awful. So that's another reason I don't say anything anymore. Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 01:52 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Parts of my family have been involved in the entertainment industry going back to vaudeville days. I've met a few "names" but that's not my world so I rarely have reason to mention it, and I've not benefited in any way by these associations. I do like the stories though, but admit I don't always know who some people are until I Google them.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastfanmang View Post
You must not have any resources.

This alone speaks volumes about the OP.

He is most likely making up the story about all his famous relatives and has no famous relatives

OR

He may have a famous relative and can only validate himself by bragging about them and, thereby, making himself feel important.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Trust me if your cousin was michael jordan or some one of that caliber you would tell people.

No, I wouldn't. I don't have to validate myself based upon a famous relative or try to impress anyone with that. It's rather sad that you have to do that.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
You can't tell me you didn't tell atleast two of your friends that you have famous relatives. Your lying if you say no. If you talked with a group of people or your friends and they name drop in convo you mentioned your famous relative.

No I haven't told any of my friends because I don't need to and I did not give specific details here now did I?
I only mentioned it here to make a point and I do NOT LIE unlike others.
My Mother taught me at the age of 5 the very real consequences of telling a lie and it has stuck all through the rest of my 53 years.
I could care less if you or anyone else believes me because what you do or do not believe has no affect on my real life.
You just like everyone else anywhere on the www go away when I hit that power off button.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah my last name. Plus I wear my cousins jersey all the time because I love sports. Then questions get asked if I'm out at the gym or whereever. My barber knows because I get him gear and autographs.

Are you freaking serious???? People ask questions because you're wearing a jersey? I call HUGE BS on that. People wear "name" jerseys all the time without being questioned. And you get AUTOGRAPHS for your barber??????

Your story is reeking of BS more everyday.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Yeah I call BS on this whole post.

Why bother asking us what do we do about famous people in our family if you supposedly never ask for any favors? Oh and your first post said you make sure and give away favors to your friends all the time, then you backtracked and came up with some BS conversation about your uncle asking why you never ask for favors.

You're full of it.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:20 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Bragging regards yourself. Your "reflected glory", regarding others in your family, isn't bragging. Thats just name-dropping, not the same. Its nothing you've done or achieved. If others get upset at your name-dropping - well...

Old 03-13-2014, 03:28 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
I am not clear on why you have to be "humble" - it's not like you accomplished anything other than being born. Your relatives accomplished something - you did nothing.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,513,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
i am not clear on why you have to be "humble" - it's not like you accomplished anything other than being born. Your relatives accomplished something - you did nothing.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships