Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,039,845 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of the time someone I knew was chewing gum and spit it out their window.

They spit it right onto the COPS WINDSHIELD right behind them.

Long story short $500 littering ticket... OUCH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 04:22 AM

8,215 posts, read 12,965,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Reminds me of the time someone I knew was chewing gum and spit it out their window.

They spit it right onto the COPS WINDSHIELD right behind them.

Long story short $500 littering ticket... OUCH.

I don't know what it is about Tennessee but we have a high percentage of the population that are slobs. I don't understand why they can't stand to retain their trash until they get to a garbage can or carry a small trash bag in their vehicles. Some people are blatant about it- I saw this pig woman one time on the crowded interstate just dump two or three bags of McDonalds trash out her window not giving two craps about it.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:26 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,768,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Where did I post that?

It is pretty clear that drunks (teenagers or otherwise) are driving the back roads drinking. I speculated the reason there is a lot of trash at that particular point is it is where the driver has to turn onto a two lane road. There is more chance of running into a cop on the two lane road.

read your original post.

Quote:
where you turn on to a two lane road and I guess the drunks like to get rid of empties and trash before they hit that road

Quote:
to call the Sheriff and tell them a drunk is regularly drinking and driving on my road in a particular make/model of vehicle.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 AM

11,303 posts, read 9,944,857 times
I like the lead poisoning sign. Wish I'd thought of it.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,039,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

I don't know what it is about Tennessee but we have a high percentage of the population that are slobs. I don't understand why they can't stand to retain their trash until they get to a garbage can or carry a small trash bag in their vehicles. Some people are blatant about it- I saw this pig woman one time on the crowded interstate just dump two or three bags of McDonalds trash out her window not giving two craps about it.
That's terrible, I will keep trash in my car until I bring a bag and dump it out. I will hold trash in my hand if I go somewhere until I find a trash can!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,984,022 times
Good for the OP for picking up trash while on walks. I do the same thing here, always carry a Walmart bag with me. Especially at the local state park. I'm always picking up fishing line, floats, beer cans. And there's usually a large trash can a few feet away. For a state that's supposed to be so beautiful, there's a LOT of trash on the sides of the roads.

A few years ago while at 12,300 feet, hiking in a wilderness area I came upon some beer bottles and McDonald's wrappers. Seriously?

People don't care anymore.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,031,627 times
If this is a place where people tend to throw trash, over and over again, maybe if someone put a trashcan there, it would solve the problem?

I remember hearing a story about Walt Disney in a meeting soon after Disneyland opened, and staff were complaining that guests were cutting across certain areas of the lawns instead of staying on the walkways, and it was killing the grass. Mr. Disney decide that the guests were not at fault, the Disney landscapers were. He said that these guests who cut across the lawns were teaching the Disney staff where they'd neglected to put sidewalks. I propose that these "drunks" are teaching your town where they should have placed a municipal trash receptacle.

I write policies for my company, and conduct investigations when employees break rules. Sometimes I take Disney's approach and change a policy (as long as it's not something illegal or state-mandated). If a whole lot of employees keep getting in trouble for taking the same "shortcut" that means the company may have to change the procedure.

One example was: Any documents containing client/patient information can't be just thrown in the trash; they must be shredded. Documents with patient/client info also can't be left out on desks or tables. As Privacy Officer, I kept getting notified about problems in one location, where people kept finding patient info lying unattended on a table, or in an ordinary trashcan, unshredded. When I looked into it, I saw that they had their shredding bin (placed by a shredding company) way over on the other side of the building from where the staff worked and handled paperwork. Instead of walking across the building to put the documents in the shredding bin, the staff were just leaving them in the mailroom on a table, or tossing them in the ordinary trashcan. I stopped investigating the individual staff people, and instead got the shredding company, a vendor that my company pays, to move the shredding bin. Of course they complained at first, because their employees now had to walk farther, but it got moved. No problems with privacy of documents at that location ever since.

I guess what I'm saying in an admittedly longwinded way is get the municipality to place a municipal trashcan at that location, and make sure it gets picked up by the garbage men on their regular route. The town council might complain at first, but if enough residents go to a council meeting and complain, it might get done. Plan B would be buy the trashcan yourself (a metal one) and arrange to make sure it gets dumped every week. Many, of course not all, but many of these drunks will just throw their bottles and cans in the trashcan when they see it there, because it's right there.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:50 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,975,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Huh. Why not just say, "Litterers will be shot"? Fewer letters and no confusion. Oh well.
Unfortunately, the folks doing the littering could give a flying leap and i suspect most can't read anyway. The best solution as stated above is be a good citizen and pick up the litter. The barbarians will eventually pass on. Also, drinking a bottle of Jim Beam ensures a quick passage to the afterlife.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,480,753 times
My solution would be to call the non-emergency line for the Sheriff's department, explain the situation, and ask for increased patrols in the area AND/OR attend a town council meeting and do the same. We have an intermittent problem with speeding near my home. When I notice it's ramping up, which is likely to happen soon now that Spring is on its way, I make a call, and a deputy finds a nice spot around the corner to do his paperwork. Works like a charm! I also like TracySam's ideas, but since the the bottles and cans might indicate drinking and driving, you should definitely notify law enforcement, too.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-01-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships