Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,632 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why, but I have always been bothered by the "OIC" or "I see" responses via email/text/IM.

I guess I always feel like the person is just blowing me off. It is always a conversation killer. Once a person says that, it's like all talk just stops.

I always tell myself I'm over reacting, but I have always felt that way. It seems so insincere and rude. If I get something someone says, I'll say "oh, that makes sense" or "thanks for explaining" or something beyond "I see".

For those of you that say that, do you mean it sincerely. Why do you say "I see"? Do you say things like that in real life? And for the most part, does it stop a conversation in its tracks?

For everyone, is it just me that this bothers me? I noticed on certain people tend to do this. And it has nothing to do with their in-person conversation patterns. They never say it to me IRL, just online/text. Then, there's other people who never say it ever.

Thoughts? Discuss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 04:15 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,407 times
Personally, I say "I see" because I am at a loss of words. I don't have anything to add to the conversation, so I'll say "I see". I'll say "Oh I see", if it was a misunderstanding and the subject has been made clearer for me (similar to how I've done it in person).

Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Personally, I say "I see" because I am at a loss of words. I don't have anything to add to the conversation, so I'll say "I see". I'll say "Oh I see", if it was a misunderstanding and the subject has been made clearer for me (similar to how I've done it in person).
Just curious. Why would you be at a loss for words? Can you give me an example?

I guess, in my situation, the friend asks me a question, I answer with an explanation, and the reply is "OIC". And then the conversation is dead. I have no clue why it bothers me.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,302,894 times
I have always considered "I see" to be a shorthand way of saying "I understand" as it comes from the saying "I see the light."

Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Just curious. Why would you be at a loss for words? Can you give me an example?

I guess, in my situation, the friend asks me a question, I answer with an explanation, and the reply is "OIC". And then the conversation is dead. I have no clue why it bothers me.
This is a recent example I used "I see"

Text: "Major construction on Highway number ## delayed us 1 hour."
Me: "I see."

Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
This is a recent example I used "I see"

Text: "Major construction on Highway number ## delayed us 1 hour."
Me: "I see."
I guess if someone told me that, I'd say, "that sucks. you couldn't get off the highway or anything?"

I'm banging my head against my keyboard. Why? Because I still feel like the reply was "snippy". I know you weren't being snippy. But there's something stupid going on in my head that I still would take offense to that. Trust me, I'm not blaming you, nor the people that say that at all. I'm just wondering if it's just me and only me that has this very strange issue with those words.

But then again, now that I'm sitting here....maybe the people who say that to me, really just want me to shut up and stop talking. Since, like I said, saying OIC or I see usually kills a conversation dead in its tracks. Maybe that's why it bothers me. Hmm

Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
But then again, now that I'm sitting here....maybe the people who say that to me, really just want me to shut up and stop talking. Since, like I said, saying OIC or I see usually kills a conversation dead in its tracks. Maybe that's why it bothers me. Hmm
Now that I have been thinking about this, I do find that OIC is a bit offensive. My father used "I see" all the time when I was growing up. However putting "Oh" in front of it does bother me a little bit. Interesting!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times
If you're getting OICs to the point where they're bothering you, you might need to dial back the drama sharing.
Just saying.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If you're getting OICs to the point where they're bothering you, you might need to dial back the drama sharing.
Just saying.
I don't understand. What makes you think I'm sharing drama to get an OIC? Is that when you reply with an OIC?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times
Quote:
I don't understand. What makes you think I'm sharing drama to get an OIC? Is that when you reply with an OIC?
I'm not the one with a problem. Have you told your friends that their responses bother you?
If not, why not?
If so, have you truly considered and responded to them?
Why would you value the opinions of strangers on city-data more than the opinions of your friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships