Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 AM

32,741 posts, read 48,386,146 times

Advertisements

I don't mind well behaved children, but manners on kids are the exception, unfortunately. There are too many parents out there who don't care who their kids are bothering as long as their kids are not bothering them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 AM

13,700 posts, read 9,797,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the people ive seen with an issue with kids are mostly awkward teenagers, or young adults,,that havent matured much, or havent been around kids that much

or

if they grew up with parents that kids were seen, but not heard, in a very strict upbringing....

or just lazy-ass teenagers who think they are the center of the universe, and think they compete with kids for attention..
I'm well into middle-age, but find the presence of small children to be intensely disconcerting. They are fragile and must be treated gingerly, lest the parents become horrified. They are annoying in general. And I find nothing about them to be cute. Fortunately, children resemble animals in their instinctive capacity to size up a person and to decide whether to interact with them. For this reason, when I visit families with children, the children generally keep their distance.

Children expose the frailty, rapacity and egotism of the human condition, without the graces that adults (intentionally or unwittingly) use to conceal their natures. For this reason, it's scary and outright humiliating to observe children.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 AM

26,706 posts, read 41,864,960 times
Dont like being around kids AT ALL.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,033,036 times
Eh...they make me nervous. I can tolerate my little brother though in small doses. I don't know how people can put up with the noise and running around.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,104,864 times
They are ok but I usually don't care that much for them.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,239,945 times
Babies are cool, and teenagers don't bother me. It's the ages between 2 and 12 I'm not particularly thrilled with. I'll be honest: They tend to be noisy in a way that gives me a headache.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,118,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If I am visiting someone to spend time with them and talk with them, the presence of young children usually puts an end to that. Thus, if I want a casual visit...just sort of checking in, I'm fine with kids; but for spending quality time with other adults its no kids present.

It's up to me to plan it.
QFT.

If I'm invited to an event with the expectation that it will be an adult event and someone brings their screaming children, it is time for me to head out. In the future, I will be more cautious with the host that allowed it to happen, and with the parents that decided to bring their children rather than get a baby sitter.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,223,807 times
Honestly, I never really liked kids and didn't even like myself when I was kid. Ironically, I do have two grown daughters during poor judgement used in past years. Being that I didn't have any siblings growing up, maybe I never learned tolerance I guess. I have 0 tolerance now, and find that I like animals more since their habits make more sense than some kids I see everyday at work.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,398,176 times
I was raised very strictly and am intolerant of children who are uncontrolled. I welcome some of my friends to bring their children and others are invited with, "Can you find a babysitter and visit us?" When I got married, there was a lot of alcohol passed around and in anticipation of this, our invitations specified, "Please. No one under 21." It didn't seem to bother anyone. Parents who have unruly children know it. They just are used to it. I let them know, I'm not.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM

526 posts, read 901,358 times
can't handle children - especially little "princess" girls. Got stuck with 2 nieces/1 nephew one evening -- had to call in sick next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships