Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,426,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I used to volunteer with the YWCA in the domestic abuse program and domestic abuse is not limited to partners - it can also be family members. Just FIY. But I also know that homeless shelters and programs like the YWCA (if you are female) tend to be overwhelmed with need.

Sounds like for now, getting to your great aunt's place is your best bet, at least you will have a place to stay safe tonight.

You mentioned you've been clean - does that mean you've been through counseling or rehab for drug problems? Are there any contacts in that regard you could call?
You people keep talking about domestic abuse...what domestic abuse? She's a loud mouthed, out of controll drunk and apparently her father had enough of it. Smacked her once to shut her foul mouth up and she called the cops. No domestic abuse going on. Now she has to deal w/it. She's an adult, time to figure out her own life, right?
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:36 AM

22,720 posts, read 47,943,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post

Um, it's clear he's sober now.
Two things are not clear to you...
1) he is a she
2) sober people do not shoot shots

Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,308,669 times
Sounds to me like the parents need to kick more than one grown, deadbeat kid out of their house for that matter.

ONE DOWN, ONE TO GO.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,862,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Two things are not clear to you...
1) he is a she
2) sober people do not shoot shots
No, something is not clear to you. Somebody is sober UNTIL they shoot shots.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,308,669 times
Quote:

Um, it's clear he's sober now.
Right - till she can find someone else to payroll her dysfunctional lifestyle.

It does not appear that this twenty year old adult has a job. Apparently she's also on someone else's health insurance. She expects to live in someone else's house, have someone else pay for her meds and medical care, and have someone else drive her places, pay for her clothes...and apparently pay for her alcohol as well.

What she needs to learn is that when she's able to pay for her own lifestyle, she can live as she pleases. But as long as she's living under someone else's roof, she has to treat them with respect.

Oh - and it's against the law for her to be drinking - I don't care who pays for it or who pours her shots. She's responsible for her own substance abuse. No one is holding her down and forcing any substances into her body.

She's her own worst enemy - not her parents, who by the way have generously offered to pay for a hotel room for her for a week while she gets on her feet. They don't owe her anything in my opinion, not after her drunken melt down in their home. She's 20, not 12.

PAST TIME TO GROW UP.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^ This. See about going into a rehab if you get so messed up that you are screaming at people and saying the things you said.
At this point rehab would be a waste of someone's money. Until the OP is ready to accept that it is his?/her? problem it would simply be a vacation for them.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,843,287 times
Hmmmm I'm starting to see a pattern of similar threads here from first time posters.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,201,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
You people keep talking about domestic abuse...what domestic abuse? She's a loud mouthed, out of controll drunk and apparently her father had enough of it. Smacked her once to shut her foul mouth up and she called the cops. No domestic abuse going on. Now she has to deal w/it. She's an adult, time to figure out her own life, right?
K
I don't disagree!
But the OP said that s/he was discounting domestic abuse resources because it was a family issue and not a partner issue, so I was mainly responding to that aspect to clear up any misunderstanding.

But OP hasn't returned so I just hope that she and her family members are able to get the help they need to sort the situation out. Clearly the OP needs to gain control of addiction and bad behaviour; s/he needs help, no question.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,692,601 times
Quote:
So you're so high and mighty that you've never said something you regretted? I've got news for you, we've all done it, yes even you. While I don't agree with the circumstances, it's clear that his family should be the ones in trouble; his sister for providing him alcohol (him for drinking it) and his dad for hitting him. (Venting to all ignorant older adults everywhere).
We have ALL said something we regretted at some point. However, I guaran-damn-tee you that if I smart-mouthed my parents, it was NOT after an evening of drinking and just days after treatment for drug use. And I never yelled at my sibling and said that I wish he'd kill himself, and I have never lost it to the point of being a screaming, hysterical maniac. There has been a series of bad decisions leading up to this incident, for the OP to believe even for a second that their behavior is in some way excusable. And even now, the OP is still playing a victim -- nothing that happened up to the point where their father struck them was the OP's fault, apparently, their father just sprung out of the bedroom and smacked 'em.

This is a case of a lot of people making some bad decisions -- the OP, for drinking so heavily and so soon after drug treatment (I believe they are warned against self-medicating, but of course, sometimes it takes a while for it to sink in), the sister, for pouring the shots (although I doubt they pried open the OP's jaws to pour the drink down their throat), and the father, for losing his temper physically.

But NONE of this would have happened if the OP hadn't gotten so far off-track with their life. They are 20 years old, with no job (but apparently enough money for drugs), no education, and now, no family or home and an arrest for underage drinking. OP is going to have to do the work to turn this ship around before it crashes on the rocks. They just THINK they've hit rock bottom, now . . .

Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,862,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - till she can find someone else to payroll her dysfunctional lifestyle.

It does not appear that this twenty year old adult has a job. Apparently she's also on someone else's health insurance. She expects to live in someone else's house, have someone else pay for her meds and medical care, and have someone else drive her places, pay for her clothes...and apparently pay for her alcohol as well.

What she needs to learn is that when she's able to pay for her own lifestyle, she can live as she pleases. But as long as she's living under someone else's roof, she has to treat them with respect.

Oh - and it's against the law for her to be drinking - I don't care who pays for it or who pours her shots. She's responsible for her own substance abuse. No one is holding her down and forcing any substances into her body.

She's her own worst enemy - not her parents, who by the way have generously offered to pay for a hotel room for her for a week while she gets on her feet. They don't owe her anything in my opinion, not after her drunken melt down in their home. She's 20, not 12.

PAST TIME TO GROW UP.
Right, and that makes it okay to hit somebody. It's her parents' fault for not setting some ground rules. All 20-year olds will start drinking without the proper guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships