Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 PM

11 posts, read 11,452 times

Advertisements

How about showing your parents whose roof you live under some respect, you are underage so shouldn't be drinking anyways and back in the day if I acted the way you do my Dad would've cracked me one too, deservingly!
So my advice is learn some respect, grow up, lay off the booze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,775,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Please don't forget me...that you can always message me here. You and D.B.! I am your friend.

You put it much nicer than I could, dear rainroosty.

OP...most of us really do care. The thing of it is, we've seen your situation. Some of us have lived your situation. We do care, OP....very much. It's why we're getting on to you. It's called "Tough love". OP, it's also called "The Truth". We want the best for you...so you get to hear the truth.

Personal observation: When someone tells you the truth, quite often...it hurts BAD!

Sometimes, when someone is telling you "what kind of a person you are/what you're doing wrong/how you come across/how you make them feel"...it pi$$es you off and hurts something AWFUL! Okay, newsflash...cuz it's not all about YOU! It's about everyone!

Okay, you know the pain you feel, when you get told that truth? Well....THAT is the same pain, you've been inflicting on others. It has just come back to you and now you're getting to feel pain....just like the pain that others have been feeling, BECAUSE of you!

Okay....so maybe this is selfish of me, but I try to inflict as LITTLE pain on people as I can. I try to always tell the truth and try to always consider how my behavior would make others feel. If I know that the truth will hurt them, I try to truly find the kindest way of saying it. If I'm feeling like I could be hurtful, I go find busy work, away from everyone else. Sometimes, I even share that I'm "hormonal/stressed/needing some alone time"...so to ensure that they keep their safe distance.

I say "selfish"...because I KNOW that pain I put out there...is going to come back to me. I've inflicted pain and I've gotten it back....and I deserved it. That pain demonstrated two things to me, empathy and karma. Hurt and you will be hurt. Don't hurt, because you KNOW what it feels like to be hurt.

The OP needs to search her heart...and instead of focusing on "what her father did", she needs to focus on "why her father did it". She needs to imagine herself being jerked awake, hearing drunken women screaming about killing each other and sh*t. She needs to imagine the entire scenario...from early childhood on. She needs to examine it truthfully, putting herself into her parents' shoes and ask herself, "Oh my gawd...if I'd tried to be the best parent I knew how to be...and my daughter was doing this to me, how would that feel? What would I want my daughter to do? What kind of a person would I like my daughter to be?"

Last edited by beachmel; 02-22-2014 at 06:29 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,893,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If the OP has never gotten "the guidance necessary," then who paid for her therapy, who is providing her with the psych meds she's been taking, and who got her off the illegal drugs that gave her a month clean before she had this meltdown that she seems to take no responsibility for? She hasn't merely already had "guidance," she's had PROFESSIONAL HELP. Anyone who has been advised by a trained therapist to stop using drugs would also have been told not to drink, especially if she's been prescribed psych meds (like an antidepressant). And in the unlikely chance she wasn't told, drinking at 20 is illegal in her state, so why would she think she should?)

Also, how do you know she's never had ground rules and she's been "enabled"? Perhaps you could say her sister enabled her to drink that day, but it didn't seem to take much encouragement. The OP said in her first post, " I am NEVER an angry drunk so I don't know where it came from." So at 20 she's been drunk so many times in her life she has a drunk pattern of behavior that she knows about??

Even if her parents have their own issues (something we have no proof of, since Dad had no previous offenses of this type), that doesn't excuse a 20-year-old from CHOOSING to go against the advice she was given by a therapist. I come from a long line of addictive behavior on both sides of my family, and I managed to get clean and sober when I was 27 and no one ever even encouraged it, let alone paid for professional help for me. I also know lots of people who won't touch alcohol after being raised by parents who drink too much, so having troubled parents is NO EXCUSE. It might be when a kid is 12, but not at 20.

By the number and tone of your posts you seem to be quite taken by the OP's story and seem to have an unusual amount of empathy for her plight. Instead of reading what you want to read into her posts, and imagining things that haven't been stated, perhaps you might be helped by thinking about how some of the good advice that's being offered to her could apply to you, if that is necessary.
Now you're reeeeallly out in left field. How exactly did we go from talking about her to me?

Old 02-22-2014, 04:34 PM

166 posts, read 280,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
LOL!
Sorry but the thought of a college defiantly getting a non-resident housing was funny....
And while there might be dorm space, it would be pro-rated, not at a reduced price; how will the OP pay for it with no job?

Again... the OP is a girl.
And yes, if I was told that story, I would say the truth.
LOL, I had no idea what I was talking about, just talking out the butt. I do that a lot.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:49 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,277,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criedman101 View Post
LOL, I had no idea what I was talking about, just talking out the butt. I do that a lot.
I'd pay to see that.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,368,620 times
Kids never got hit before 1990.
That is a fact, right?
Thats exactly why we all have jobs, families, and support ourselves.
Poor OP.
Poor libs

Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,775,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I'd pay to see that.
Ewwww gross!!!!!! Something tells me, you wouldn't care much for the smell!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,654,150 times
If I were your dad I would have slapped the hell out of you too. Calling the cops on him was a slimy move to the extreme, grow a pair and don't run for help when you get a beating for something you deserved to catch a beating for. One slap isn't a beating anyway. Grow up, you just messed up your fathers life by being a little cowardly b****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships