Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you invite parents to attend get togethers with friends? (Excluding Christmas and Thanksgiving pa
Yes 3 11.11%
No 20 74.07%
Occasionally (please explain) 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:26 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,257,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hell no! The stuff (completely legal) I do at parties with my millennial friends would horrify my 61 year old mother. Also, mom is just not a party person.
Hmmm, if your mom is 61 she was in her teens and 20s during the sexual revolution, time of huge anti-war rallies, rampant drug use, etc. etc. Obviously, I don't know your mom but don't surprised if your mother and others of her generation would not be horrified by your parties & behavior (but probably wouldn't admit it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:56 AM

447 posts, read 1,047,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hmmm, if your mom is 61 she was in her teens and 20s during the sexual revolution, time of huge anti-war rallies, rampant drug use, etc. etc. Obviously, I don't know your mom but don't surprised if your mother and others of her generation would not be horrified by your parties & behavior (but probably wouldn't admit it).
LOL. Every young generation thinks they invented sex and intoxication.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:33 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,511,863 times
I think it's rude to bring extra people who haven't been invited. At a friend's wedding, another mutual friend brought along her mother and brother, who were NOT invited and it was very awkward when they got to the table and there was no place for them. Of course, another couple brought their toddler son, who also wasn't invited, so I guess some people just don't have boundaries. If it's something everyone has been invited to, I don't see a problem.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,695,650 times
Thanks for the responses. In the scenario I'm picturing it would be at the gatherings we hold such as inviting friends over for Super Bowl or having a pub night at our house. I also agree that bring anyone along uninvited is bad etiquette and didn't mean to give that impression, which is why I wanted to clarify.

After hearing these responses I'm feeling a bit more confident. I realize that some parents are close, but I do feel that wanting to maintain boundaries between parents and friends is normal, thanks for the sanity check!

Old 02-15-2014, 03:08 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,393,005 times
If parties are about getting drunk with loud music and absence of meaningful communication, then don't invite your parents for their own sake.
If your parties are more interesting and intellectual, then do (when you organize the party).

Old 02-15-2014, 03:16 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,810,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why would you bring your parents to a party? Do your parents invite you along to parties they are invited to?
Yes. Don't yours? That is the fun of having adult kids. My mom doesn't want to go to parties with my friends, but she is definitely happy to have us all come to her place and have a get together there. If she gets tired (she is almost 80) she goes to bed and we carry on without her.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:34 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,695,650 times
These are typical adult parties with 30-40 year olds. Drinking, but not heavy. There is food, sports, movies, conversation, or card/board games.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,362,948 times
I have hosted many multi-generational parties that were very successful. First of all, I have always had friends of all ages, so it would have been unusual for me to have guests who were only my age. Of course I've had small get-togethers with school friends. But larger gatherings could have people of any age. So if someone's parents are in town, bring 'em along. I always had teachers I adored and would invite them to parties. If neighbors are included, they could be any age. I've had co-workers and students of my own who are a lot younger. Doesn't mean they aren't interesting. If you have a work-related party aren't people of all ages there?

I'll give you two examples of excellent parties where elders were a real asset. I went to a bridal shower for a bride who is obsessed with mid-century modern style. The shower had an MCM theme, everything from the food to the music to the decorations. The hostesses got goofy 1950s and 60s recipes from their moms for the menu (weird canapes, tuna noodle casserole, jello salads, retro cocktails, etc.) which led to the moms being invited. The mothers of the bride and groom were also there, so why not? Everyone had tons of fun. The moms taught us the silly, sexist games they played at showers. We all laughed like crazy. We went around the room and let the moms tell us what their marriage proposals were like. One mother told a very touching story about eloping during WWII. Her talk was caught on video by a guest and she died not much later, making that tape a very precious keepsake for her daughter.

Another example was my 20th high school reunion. Our class president brought his dad along. We also had invited our teachers and a surprising number who still lived in the area came. The older people contributed greatly to our enjoyment. And they were so thrilled to be there. Our class president's dad knew practically all of us (and our parents) so he had so much fun catching up with everyone. Afterward, everyone said we should always invite our parents to reunions.

If you're going to smoke dope, or the only purpose of the party is to get drunk or hook up, perhaps you wouldn't want your parents to come. But people of all ages know how to party so you're missing out on fun if you restrict your social life to only people of your own age.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,256,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes. Don't yours? That is the fun of having adult kids. My mom doesn't want to go to parties with my friends, but she is definitely happy to have us all come to her place and have a get together there. If she gets tired (she is almost 80) she goes to bed and we carry on without her.
Inviting your own kids over to your own house is not the same as taking your parents/kids over to someone else's house.

Yes, my parents invite us to their house. No, they do not invite us along to parties at their friends houses. I'm pretty sure that's what the OP was asking.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:58 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,393,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
These are typical adult parties with 30-40 year olds. Drinking, but not heavy. There is food, sports, movies, conversation, or card/board games.
then parents will fit in! You can invite them to your house along with other guests, and maybe they will show such a level of cool (or they are just so nice) that next time your friends may ask you to bring them along
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships