Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,089,343 times

Advertisements

Ok - here's my gripe.

Going to bad parties. Not - my friend threw a party and there was just chips and dip - but real invitations to parties you pay to attend - like a charity dinner.

I've an invitation for $50 a plate dinner from a local charity I have supported before. I've a casual 'relationship' with those that run the charity. I've worked on other charity functions for them, given cash donations, that sort of thing.

This time it's a charity dinner so I'm expecting to pay more than the cost of food. I figure 1/2 cost of food & venue and the rest is a donation. So $25 for the cost of the event - $15 for food and $10 for venue.

At a chain restaurant, I could get a good piece of steak, with 2 sides, a bread and a simple drink (tea, soda) and come away happy.

The menu for this event is choice of Chili with fixings, Chicken wings with dips, Sausage, cheese and chips, or a veggie burger; side of 2 pastas or cole slaw; brownies & cookies for desert.

At $50 a plate. Casual dress.

The last time they did one of these we had an international spread and it was amazing! I know they made their target money because I was involved in the back end of it. Everyone had a great time and it was a fun party.

This just seems like a bad, bad party in the making.

So - while I would enjoy the company I also enjoy dressing up and getting a nice dinner out of it. This is going to be 'jeans ok and backyard BBQ' fare.

I'm inclined to just send a check - claim I have other plans and not go - what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,209,086 times
So, maybe more of the money goes to the charity? That's not a horrible thing. I look at it this way, I am writing off the dinner - the dinner itself is a plus that I wouldn't get if I just wrote a check. The more I demand from this dinner, the less the charity gets.

I think if this upsets you, you should just write a check and stay home. It's supposed to be about the charity.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,279,940 times
The event is about supporting the charity, not getting your money's worth for a meal. Write a check and stay home. You've already decided you're not going to like the event, so why bother going?

Old 02-11-2014, 04:01 PM

22,613 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
The event is about supporting the charity, not getting your money's worth for a meal. Write a check and stay home. You've already decided you're not going to like the event, so why bother going?
Seriously.

That does not sound like a bad party at all, but a chance to includd those who like more casual fare and casual dress.
No one says you HAVE to go... and it sounds like you will be miserable if you do.
Stay home, write a check if the cause is dear to you.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

That does not sound like a bad party at all, but a chance to includd those who like more casual fare and casual dress.
No one says you HAVE to go... and it sounds like you will be miserable if you do.
Stay home, write a check if the cause is dear to you.
I bet that the charity had complaints that the previous parties were too formal and they wanted to try something different. Or they wanted to try a different formal just to see if the charity received more money. Or maybe a big BBQ place or something similar donated the meat/food this year so they will have more to give to the charity because they don't have to pay as much for the food.

If you don't want to go, stay home and write a check.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM

I commend the organizers to have come up with a creative way to spend less and contribute more - while broadening the participation. Much better than a rubber chicken dinner.

You might just have learned a good lesson, if you will pay attention.

I used to work at the Houston Chronicle and one of my duties was acting as a community liaison. They gave me free rein and I picked the charities. One charity near and dear to my heart (which will remain nameless, because it is not their fault this went bad) happened to draw socialites in fundraising. These women held events that would make $50K, but the cost of the event was $49K. I eventually resigned from that group. It was not the charity's fault - they were glad to get the paltry $1K - but it was bull crap - just something for these women to pass their time, pretending to actually help society. I did a totally different fundraiser that involved regular people - and we raised a bunch, with little overhead. They still continue the annual event to this day.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,764,136 times
I don't think you can bash a charity event, they are raising money!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:57 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Ok - here's my gripe.

Going to bad parties. Not - my friend threw a party and there was just chips and dip - but real invitations to parties you pay to attend - like a charity dinner.

I've an invitation for $50 a plate dinner from a local charity I have supported before. I've a casual 'relationship' with those that run the charity. I've worked on other charity functions for them, given cash donations, that sort of thing.

This time it's a charity dinner so I'm expecting to pay more than the cost of food. I figure 1/2 cost of food & venue and the rest is a donation. So $25 for the cost of the event - $15 for food and $10 for venue.

At a chain restaurant, I could get a good piece of steak, with 2 sides, a bread and a simple drink (tea, soda) and come away happy.

The menu for this event is choice of Chili with fixings, Chicken wings with dips, Sausage, cheese and chips, or a veggie burger; side of 2 pastas or cole slaw; brownies & cookies for desert.

At $50 a plate. Casual dress.

The last time they did one of these we had an international spread and it was amazing! I know they made their target money because I was involved in the back end of it. Everyone had a great time and it was a fun party.

This just seems like a bad, bad party in the making.

So - while I would enjoy the company I also enjoy dressing up and getting a nice dinner out of it. This is going to be 'jeans ok and backyard BBQ' fare.

I'm inclined to just send a check - claim I have other plans and not go - what do you think?
Sounds pretty lousy. My company used to have an end of year party, and depending on who organized it, it was lovely or awful. The two awful times were 1- backyard bbq style (awful, sloppy heart-attack food, and nothing for vegetarians except the hot dog buns) and 2 - sub sandwiches (really??). We had to pay for the bbq one, and nothing went to charity, so I paid like 15 bucks to eat a stale hotdog bun. The people who organized the subs were so proud of themselves because they managed to do it cheaply enough that we didn't have to pay. I would have rather paid.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Sounds pretty lousy. My company used to have an end of year party, and depending on who organized it, it was lovely or awful. The two awful times were 1- backyard bbq style (awful, sloppy heart-attack food, and nothing for vegetarians except the hot dog buns) and 2 - sub sandwiches (really??). We had to pay for the bbq one, and nothing went to charity, so I paid like 15 bucks to eat a stale hotdog bun. The people who organized the subs were so proud of themselves because they managed to do it cheaply enough that we didn't have to pay. I would have rather paid.
Apples and oranges - company party vs. charity event.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 PM

22,613 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
NOT what the OP is talking about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships