Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 PM

16,123 posts, read 10,797,985 times

Advertisements

Keep trying...I was once a member of a small walking club that went out each week and walked a hour....most members talked as we walked and there were three or four conversations going on depending on the pace. We would stop for coffee after the walk. One guy started coming with us and he described himself as being "introverted". He brought his camera and took pictures as we walked as a way of being part of the group but not being on the spot with being chatty. He shared his pictures while we were having coffee and everyone enjoyed his company and he made several friends. People looked forward to seeing him on future walks. I can't say that that was a turning point or changed his life but small steps will help get you started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,454,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
I have been a recluse most of my life. I am finally trying to change my life around for the better, finally cut tv out of my life and start reading books. I went on meetup.com found a group I might like. I use to love playing board games with my family. Well I went there and the people were nice but I just didn't click. They appear very intelligent to me. I sucked at all the board games. I only stayed for one hour and now I am at home enjoying my book and it feels like heaven to me...... what I really want is my confidence I use to have. I am in the process of losing weight and I really want to date and spend time with a boyfriend and go to movies and trips together...I have about 100lbs to lose....ahhh I dunno hopefully a book club may turn out better

I found a book club, and a few other groups on meetup, and some of the people I have met on there have become good friends. I suggest going to a couple more meetups. With the groups, sometimes they are quite large and so many different people/personalities. You could to on meetup on one weekend, and another the following and not one person is the same! Since you like to read though, I really do suggest a book club one. From my experience, they are laid back and relaxing. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,853,737 times
I agree, keep going! Maybe give the first one another try, maybe find others that might interest you more. The important thing is to go.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you don't keep trying, you'll only regret not going.
The first step is always the hardest.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2014, 02:20 AM

7 posts, read 6,245 times
Just from the way you are talking, u improving your life .. just keep it up . you in the right track

Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,777,821 times
I think the idea of going Meetup.com groups is a good start, find more to go to, they are different for sure and some are not active. I'd go to more or find other hobby groups in your area to go meet people. Volunteering is also an excellent way to meet like-minded people. Getting out more definitely helps. Good luck to you.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
You don't become proficient at anything, even board games, the first time you try it. Turn your new acquaintances into allies and then friends by asking their advice about becoming better at the games, and then put their advice to work by continuing to participate in the group and play the games. You'll get better at it, and you'll get to know the other people better and may even make a real friend or two. Be positive, demonstrate enthusiasm, work at getting better. If you give up every attempt because you're not making instant friends, you will continue to be disappointed and alone.
I agree. It is possible that some of these people have been playing those games for years. Go to the next meeting and try again. it will get easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Personally, I think you did good. You challenged yourself to break your routine and you did it. The cool thing about meet up groups is that they are no commitment. You go to one. You don't have to go back. Try a different group.

When you go to your next group, have a plan in mind. Say, challenge yourself to talk to xx number of people or get the phone number/email from 1 or 2 people. Better yet, before you go, scout out a museum, movie, play or flower show or something. Then when you are at the meet up, ask someone if they like xx activity and casually mention that you are thinking about going. If you put it out there, you might get a nibble and make a new friend.
Great advice.

If you like books I would also suggest trying a book club.

Keep on trying.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 PM

19 posts, read 24,925 times
If you have the money. Travel. You will get better with people regardless of your appearance.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,104,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
no no their were nice it's just that I felt like a complete dumbass
Keep trying! Find someone to walk with who likes to read books. I lost 50 pounds in nine months without dieting. Just walking six days a week, one hour a day.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,378,338 times
I give you an A for effort. Go back and spend 90 minutes this time. Then go back again. make this a challenge you can overcome. Practice some board games like checkers thru an app to improve.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,104,767 times
Also, my suggestion is that you stop watching shows like The Bachelorette. I truly think these reality shows are bad for the soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships