Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,996 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm being overly cautious... Maybe not cautious enough. Tell me what you think!

About a week ago, I was out walking near my home, getting some exercise in. I live in a residential area that doesn't get a ton of traffic. Sometimes I can go for an hour long walk and only see 3-4 cars pass by during that time.

I heard a truck approaching behind me, and the driver honked a few times as he drove by me - it was a FedEx truck. I thought "Wow that's really unprofessional of him to honk at me" (he started honking before he even saw my face and was just seeing me from behind). This happens from time to time from other truck drivers, usually lawn companies, sometimes accompanied by catcalling out the window, but I never expected it from FedEx.

He pulled into a driveway about a block ahead of me, and turned around. He headed back towards me and stopped right in front of me, rolling down his window. He asked for directions, so I let down my guard and walked over, thinking maybe that's why he had honked at me. As I approached his truck, he said "Hey did you go to ____ highschool?" and I did. He said he recognized me from there, and I vaguely recognized him. He began chatting to me, asking how I've been since high school, if I was married (no), had any kids (no), etc. This conversation went on for probably 5 mins, him asking me about my life and telling me about his. Finally I said "So, you're lost?" and I pulled up a map on my phone and helped him find the street he was looking for. I asked him if this was a new route for him, and he said "No, this is my regular route". So, he probably didn't really need directions - he just wanted to talk to me! Then he asked if I'd text him a screenshot of the map to his phone, since he didn't have maps on his phone. I did it, because he obviously knew I had my phone on me, so I couldn't really come up with an excuse not to do that. So, that's how he got my number.

An hour later, I started getting texts from him. He texted me 4 times that day. I never replied. Then he texted me the next day. And then the next. I never texted him back until the 4th day, when I just flat out told him "Stop texting me. I'm not interested". He followed that up with another few texts, saying "I thought we were just friends. How can you not be interested if you barely know me? Let's hang out!". I ignored these.

Yesterday, I went for another walk, and guess who I see driving by me? Out of the corner of my eye I could see him looking in the side mirror to see if it was me he just passed. About a block ahead, he turned around in a driveway and drove by me again. Luckily, he didn't do anything else. BUT I'm nervous. This guy doesn't seem to have any boundaries and he also doesn't seem to be able to take a hint. My biggest fear is that he delivers a FedEx package to my house, because as of right now he doesn't know where I live... Should I be concerned? What would you do?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Call Fed-X....today.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Maybe I'm being overly cautious... Maybe not cautious enough. Tell me what you think!

About a week ago, I was out walking near my home, getting some exercise in. I live in a residential area that doesn't get a ton of traffic. Sometimes I can go for an hour long walk and only see 3-4 cars pass by during that time.

I heard a truck approaching behind me, and the driver honked a few times as he drove by me - it was a FedEx truck. I thought "Wow that's really unprofessional of him to honk at me" (he started honking before he even saw my face and was just seeing me from behind). This happens from time to time from other truck drivers, usually lawn companies, sometimes accompanied by catcalling out the window, but I never expected it from FedEx.

He pulled into a driveway about a block ahead of me, and turned around. He headed back towards me and stopped right in front of me, rolling down his window. He asked for directions, so I let down my guard and walked over, thinking maybe that's why he had honked at me. As I approached his truck, he said "Hey did you go to ____ highschool?" and I did. He said he recognized me from there, and I vaguely recognized him. He began chatting to me, asking how I've been since high school, if I was married (no), had any kids (no), etc. This conversation went on for probably 5 mins, him asking me about my life and telling me about his. Finally I said "So, you're lost?" and I pulled up a map on my phone and helped him find the street he was looking for. I asked him if this was a new route for him, and he said "No, this is my regular route". So, he probably didn't really need directions - he just wanted to talk to me! Then he asked if I'd text him a screenshot of the map to his phone, since he didn't have maps on his phone. I did it, because he obviously knew I had my phone on me, so I couldn't really come up with an excuse not to do that. So, that's how he got my number.

An hour later, I started getting texts from him. He texted me 4 times that day. I never replied. Then he texted me the next day. And then the next. I never texted him back until the 4th day, when I just flat out told him "Stop texting me. I'm not interested". He followed that up with another few texts, saying "I thought we were just friends. How can you not be interested if you barely know me? Let's hang out!". I ignored these.

Yesterday, I went for another walk, and guess who I see driving by me? Out of the corner of my eye I could see him looking in the side mirror to see if it was me he just passed. About a block ahead, he turned around in a driveway and drove by me again. Luckily, he didn't do anything else. BUT I'm nervous. This guy doesn't seem to have any boundaries and he also doesn't seem to be able to take a hint. My biggest fear is that he delivers a FedEx package to my house, because as of right now he doesn't know where I live... Should I be concerned? What would you do?
You could have told him you don't have map apps on your phone, or you have a dumb phone? this way you wouldn't have fallen for the phone number scam! I guess you didn't see that coming did you? You might consider carrying some pepper spray with you when you walk too...

Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
He's a FedEx employee and I'm quite sure he is not supposed to be driving around honking at women on his route.
Call FedEx and tell them all about his creepy behavior and that you are afraid of him and will call the police if he comes around you again.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
Call Fed X and tell them about his behavior.

By the way, FedX drivers never need your help with directions. They have professional grade GPS systems in each truck. They are not relying on personal phone devices for directions.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
My approach is gentler bec I don't like anyone losing their job when they can learn and change...I would tell him how u got advice to report him to FedEx, but would rather not
cost him his job. (This way he sees how serious this could be and your friends are influencing you, so now more people know about him, you have his name and maybe truck # after all.)
"Please, just stop stalking me, bec that is what it is legally...and never do this
with another woman."

He may be so immature and stupid...not a scary guy at all...and then again he
could be a serial killer.

He may be thinking he is simply pursuing his future wife and next he'll hire a plane to write somthing in the sky to you.

Never walk close to a stranger's VAN! Or give them your # this way.
And read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker.

Drive diff routes home, leave a radio on in your place,...start learning wise
safety things, how to walk, how to look all around you, self defensive moves..etc.
...I did at 19 for protection...on the East Coast like you back then.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Call Fed X and tell them about his behavior.

By the way, FedX drivers never need your help with directions. They have professional grade GPS systems in each truck. They are not relying on personal phone devices for directions.
I know this, but how was I to argue with this guy seemingly innocently asking for directions? He should be ashamed of using this excuse to get to talk to me and try to get my number, but I wasn't about to be rude to someone who I didn't know for no reason and flat out say "No, sorry I won't help you with directions, you work for FedEx, you should know where you're going". If this was just a random guy driving by in a car, I wouldn't have been so inclined to help, but the big FedEx truck really does provide some sense of security... You don't think a FedEx employee would be creepy, because you could easily report them.

But in hindsight, if something like this were to happen in the future, I might say something like "I'm not from around here, I don't know any street names, sorry".

Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
I don't understand why you gave him your number? I always tell women if you don't want to give a guy your number, give him the local police department's number. Anyway, just have his number blocked on your phone. BTW all those delivery trucks have gps in them.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:43 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
You did what you did. Innocently, helpfully, and don't go beating yourself up over being a decent person.

IF he stops again, explain that you feel like you are being stalked and are really uncomfortable and would prefer not to report him for improper behavior. If that doesn't sink in quickly, call Fed Ex.

I had a Fed Ex driver who lived a few doors down from me. He was NOT an angel...rotten apple in every barrel. So don't be fooled. Creeps come in all sorts of wrappers.

Don't play games with this dangerous situation.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:50 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
And women wonder how they get raped and murdered !!!!!! That is extremely bizarre, over the top behavior on his part and you need to take care of it NOW.

I would text him back and tell him you want no further communication, either in person or via phone or text. Be frank with him and tell him straight out it makes you feel creepy. Mention you do not want to report this to FedEx because it would hurt his job, but putting that in there should put an end to it. This guy is very strange.

However, if he does it again, call 1-800 GO FEDEX and ask to speak to his supervisor at your local terminal or to HR.

This is nothing to play around with. NEVER give your number to a stranger, period.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships