Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 AM

799 posts, read 1,554,007 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends just had his divorce finalized last week. This was indeed necessary and he had been separated for several years, living off and on in different states, no kids, everything completely amicable. He probably would have never gotten divorced but he met someone great and wants to take that relationship to the next level.

We all knew this was coming, he knew it was coming, and everything seemed fine until the hearing. He broke down in court and has been depressed ever since-- crying, taking off work, not getting out of bed.

I have been trying to be supportive and help him through this (he has a counselor as well that he has seen since the finalization), but I am surprised by the depth of his reaction. His marriage was never a healthy or passionate one, and even when he was marrying, he expressed a lot of doubt about it. He is on good terms with the ex wife, and I have even been to the occasional dinner with the two of them over the past couple of years. All seemed fine.

How do I help him? Having never been married or divorced, I am not sure what to expect and I want to be a good friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM

2,826 posts, read 4,008,179 times
I'm confused. If he met someone great, then why isn't that great someone the one consoling him? And why would he be sad?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I'm confused. If he met someone great, then why isn't that great someone the one consoling him? And why would he be sad?
I don't know, that is why I put up the thread.

He was with the wife for a long time-- they lived together for a decade before marrying, and the marriage itself was somewhat brief. They always had problems and seemed better suited to friendship than a relationship.

The new person has been very supportive, but she was sort of taken aback by the depth of his response. She is in an awkward position because she doesn't want to appear insensitive or jealous, but none of us really understand his reaction.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,088,699 times
Divorce is huge.

No matter how long you have been separated. I am separated for two years, the marriage was never great and even though I am completely over my ex, I am horrified of a divorce. Just the word alone gets me all emotional.

I guess it hit him in court - the realization that this life really is over and a new one starts. Even though they were separated. Maybe he never really realized it until then, buried his feelings about it, put it all aside in a drawer and in court that drawer with undealt feelings was opened and overwhelmed him. Not sure how to describe it better.

Also, he is still friends with the ex wife. So there was still a bond and he probably loves her in a friendly way. This bond was just sort of destroyed by a judge.

Maybe telling him his life is much better now and to look forward, plus the counseling should help.

Last edited by oh-eve; 01-22-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Divorce is huge.

No matter how long you have been separated. I am separated for two years, the marriage was never great and even though I am completely over my ex, I am horrified of a divorce. Just the word alone gets me all emotional.

I guess it hit him in court - the realization that this life really is over and a new one starts. Even though they were separated. Maybe he never really realized it until then, buried his feelings about it, put it all aside in a drawer and in court that drawer with undealt feelings was opened and overwhelmed him. Not sure how to describe it better.

Also, he is still friends with the ex wife. So there was still a bond and he probably loves her in a friendly way. This bond was just sort of destroyed by a judge.

Maybe telling him his life is much better now and to look forward, plus the counseling should help.
I think he had a hard time even getting to the point where he would go through with it. The ex wife has a lot of issues, struggles a lot with depression and anxiety, and he still seems to feel responsible for her. She isn't a bad person, but she is one of those extremely passive and helpless types. They never had kids because he always said that he would end up doing all the parenting and parenting her as well.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM

22,731 posts, read 47,977,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
He probably would have never gotten divorced but he met someone great and wants to take that relationship to the next level.
Wow!

Sound like he got exactly what he wanted... if he is not happy with that, perhaps counseling is in order.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Wow!

Sound like he got exactly what he wanted... if he is not happy with that, perhaps counseling is in order.
He was separated for over five years before he met the new girlfriend. He and his ex wife were not even living in the same state most of the time.

From my outside perspective, I think he knows this is for the best, and that he has to move forward, but even that realization is making him depressed.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,432,369 times
He needs to see his primary care doctor to get on a medicine for depression, and start seeing a counselor quick. Just be there to listen to him.

I worry now that his "new" relationship might implode if he doesn't get stabilized soon. That's why I really recommend quick treatment. Anti-depressant medications can be a life-saver, and don't need to be taken forever.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:34 AM

Can anyone speak to whether or not this sort of behavior is a normal reaction to a divorce? Especially an amicable divorce which has been years in the making?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,864,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Can anyone speak to whether or not this sort of behavior is a normal reaction to a divorce? Especially an amicable divorce which has been years in the making?
It was kind of this way for me. I put off taking that final step until it became clear that there was no other option. It took years to get to that point. I was happy until the day it happened and then I just felt like crap. I felt like a failure, felt all kinds of guilt, remembered nice things about the relationship that just sort of tortured me even though I had no interest or intention of going back to it.

Divorce is an ending, and its a death in many ways. It takes a while for some people to make their peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships