Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,216,022 times

Advertisements

Do something really nice with your husband, like a B&B weekend getaway, then tell her all about how wonderful your birthday was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 06:35 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,946,711 times
When your bday rolls around you and your husband should pack a suitcase and GTFO for a couple of days.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,618,536 times
If she does throw the party, then she's trying to mend the relationship and take this as a positive sign for the future. Enjoy the company and just have fun with her for a few hours and push out any negative thoughts.

If she doesn't throw a party, then so what.

So you are good either way.

Just don't turn her down or be negative if she tries to extend well wishes however she might do it. If she doesn't throw a party, don't push her away in the future because your feelings got hurt over this. Maybe she just sends a card. Maybe she forgets your birthday altogether.

Just make the decision that 'this isn't going to bother me no matter what'. And then it won't.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,989,537 times
Why are you bothering of thinking about this in such a negative way? Plan what you want to do for your birthday.

It sounds like you are setting yourself up for lose/lose.

It doesn't matter what your mother-in-law does or doesn't do. Are you a victim?

Last edited by imcurious; 01-02-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Why are you bothering of thinking about this in such a negative way. Plan what you want to do for your birthday. It sounds like you are setting yourself up for lose/lose. It doesn't matter what your mother-in-law does or doesn't do. Are you a victim?
This could be part of it.

Sometimes people constantly manufacture controversial situations in their minds. It keeps that other person in the "bad guy" role, and helps them feel better as a perpetual victim.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 01-02-2014 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,579,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
My mother in law has thrown a 40th birthday party for everyone in the family so far. Well, my 40th is one month away. Right now, my husband and her are not getting along. I am expecting to be left out of this tradition. It is NOT that I want a birthday party. It is about the fact that I would be getting treated differently. We have always had a rocky relationship and when we moved 7 yrs ago due to family issues, she sent birthday cards and money to my husband and our children, but not me. I have never felt welcomed into to the family. My mom and her worked together when I started dating my husband and our mom's despised each other. I was a stay at home wife/mom, she disapproved. Then my sisters-in -law did the same and it was ok. We were bashed by the family for trying to buy the family farm for too low of a price they said, but now my b-i-l bought it for the same price and its ok. Get the point?? Its about how we are treated by them. I know it is a month away yet, I'm not gonna jump the gun and get upset right now. It just came to mind today and I'm wondering what other people would feel/do in that situation.

Why would be be upset when you don't get along anyway?
That is your issue and a waste of your time and energy voluntarily if you do get upset over something that you know is probably not going to happen.
Besides if you are treated as badly as you state why in the world would you want to spend even more time with them or even expect to be part of the "tradition"?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,715,770 times
I don't get the problem -- are you asking if you SHOULD get upset?

What an odd question. Either you are or you aren't. You don't get along with your MIL, that's clear. Why on earth would you expect her to change now and suddenly throw you a party? Why would you WANT her to throw you a party, when you obviously don't care to be around her much, and feel that the family doesn't really respect you, anyway?

How SHOULD you feel? If I were you, I'd be planning my own small birthday party with friends I cared about and who cared about me. Or you and your husband could be planning a trip away for a fun weekend. Or so many other things . . . but wondering if I should be mad at an MIL for doing exactly what I expect her to do? Not even in the top 100 of things to worry about.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,989,537 times
Sounds like she's building a case and wants another reason to be mad at her mother-in-law.

Total victim no/win thinking.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,453,352 times
I understand your frustration and resentment. It is impossible for you to control your MIL. She will never be able to control you.

Let your resentment go. Once you realize that she will not ever treat you the way you deserve, you can accept that. Yes, it stings and hurts, but you need to overcome it.
You will be happier and have a more peaceful life.

She is not a nice and kind person, and take comfort in the fact that you are.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:07 PM

13,003 posts, read 9,789,400 times
Op, if I were you, i wouldn't be holding my breath about that party. Don't sound like you will be getting that from her. I agree with some of the other posters here, you and your husband plan something for just the two of you or get out of town for your birthday. Don't give her the opportunity to ruin your day, just go ahead and make other plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships