Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:36 PM

7 posts, read 16,923 times

Advertisements

thing wrong. I am so upset because I have had cable tv and have been watching tv for years just fine and then all of a sudden my parents are saying I cant watch anything except for educational stuff and wont let me watch anything else. They never seemed to care before but now all of a suddent they do and I didnt do anything. Whn I asked why they wouldnt really answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:34 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,770,444 times
How old are you ?

If you're over 18, move out, support yourself and then pay for your own cable.

If you're under 18, their house, their rules and their cable.

What do you mean " they really wouldn't answer". Evidently they answered something or you didn't like their answer. If you're under 18, this may be something you can negotiate with them. Are you up all night watching TV rather than studying? Are your grades dropping for some reason?. Is your only TV interest shows that your parents feel are not suitable for minors.?

Discuss with them to see if you can watch the major prime time channels up until a certain hour if all your school work is done first. Make up a list of shows you like to watch and then show it to them and see if you can figure out their objections. Maybe they will negotiate on some and not back down on others.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:51 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,036,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgirl1 View Post
all of a sudden my parents are saying I cant watch anything except for educational stuff and wont let me watch anything else.
Really? You can find educational programs on TV?

I've long since given up on TLC/A&E/Discovery/Nat Geo and the like because those channels have turned into so much reality tv crap.

Back to the subject ... it sounds like you're young. One can assume that you are communicating with your folks in a way that is combative. It's typical. Try asking them in way that shows you want to understand and work this situation out, not make it into a battle of wills.

"Mom/Dad, I'd like to understand what it so objectionable about my tv viewing. Is it the time I spend in front of the tv, the shows I watch?"

Find out the "why" then see if an understanding can be reached or negotiate. Odds are they think you're watching too much "Teen Mom" or are spending too much time in front of the tv when more constructive activities could be taking place.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Really? You can find educational programs on TV?

I've long since given up on TLC/A&E/Discovery/Nat Geo and the like because those channels have turned into so much reality tv crap.

Back to the subject ... it sounds like you're young. One can assume that you are communicating with your folks in a way that is combative. It's typical. Try asking them in way that shows you want to understand and work this situation out, not make it into a battle of wills.

"Mom/Dad, I'd like to understand what it so objectionable about my tv viewing. Is it the time I spend in front of the tv, the shows I watch?"

Find out the "why" then see if an understanding can be reached or negotiate. Odds are they think you're watching too much "Teen Mom" or are spending too much time in front of the tv when more constructive activities could be taking place.
I did ask them in a way that shows I just want to understand the situation and they wouldn't discuss it with me
And I am not a child, I am 26 years old.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
Quote:
I did ask them in a way that shows I just want to understand the situation and they wouldn't discuss it with me
If you are for real, you need to get real. You have no room to complain whatsoever. It is difficult to talk about this with you because if you are 26 or 32 you need to stop with the whining and get off your ass and get a job and your own place. Their place - their rules. Could it also be they are trying to push her out of her parent's house?

I moved out of the house on my 18th birthday and never went back. So, if you are what you say you are you are either lazy as hell or you don't know what to do about supporting yourself.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,235,767 times
They are trying to politely evict you.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times
Quote:

Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
They are trying to politely evict you.
My money is on that above.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:00 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,681,583 times
You are 26 and living at home. I think your parents are trying to give you a hint that it's time to leave the nest and find a place of your own. They're trying to do this gently, but if this doesn't work expect more restrictions to follow until you get the hint. Best wishes.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 AM

I can't get a job and move out because I have ahearing and mental disability and noone will hire me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships