Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:02 PM

13,003 posts, read 9,795,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Yes, but they don't stay employed very often (their employers drop them), they often aren't allowed in the movie for fear of disturbing other patrons or they'll miss part of the movie (the movie doesn't wait), and they miss their planes (the planes leave without them.)

So . . . why should the rest of the world accommodate to their tardy ways?
They shouldn't and I don't approve of people being late all the time either, but we are going to always have the Johnny-come-lately among us. it would be nice living in a world where everybody is always on time all the time. we wish our arrival and departure times at airports are always on schedule to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 03:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,786,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
I agree, it is a control issue. Them trying to control you. I've had two friendships in my life that both pulled this kind of behavior on me. Left me waiting many times for an hour past the time we'd agree to meet. Lots of excuses. My only excuse for putting up with it was a bad time in my life and I felt glad to have these jerks as friends. I look back and realize that it was a form of disrespect that I allowed to let happen.

I'm happy to say I've changed in that I will no longer put up with anyone making me wait an hour for them. I'll leave after 20 minutes and text/call them to let them know where they can find me, if they care.

That's exactly it, control. They're holding up other people therefore controlling the situation.

You either speak up or you have to end the relationship. I found in my case life was much easier when I no longer had to deal with this one person who was constantly late. I was also not the only one who got fed up with them. Arrived late or completely missed functions due to this person never being on time.

But we live and learn. Won't happen again.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,839,343 times
If you spray your friend in the face with a squirt gun when they finally show up, that's teaching them there are consequences for their actions. Do it. Just pull out a squirt gun and give them a couple of good sprays right in the ole kisser.
Just a thought. :-)

Old 01-04-2014, 04:09 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,076,401 times
Today my friend was supposed to pick me up by 1:30 to go to the shopping center. She texted me at 1:35 & said there was an issue & would be here soon. An hour later I texted her asking where she was. She said I'll be there in 15 minutes. 15 minutes later still not here. I told her I wasn't going. Over an hour late...with no real explanation...please

Old 01-05-2014, 01:29 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,586,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I was supposed to meet a friend yesterday between 4:15 and 4:30 for an early dinner. (I hadn't had lunch.) I texted her at 3:30 and told her I'd be there closer to 4:15, she read my text. I got there at 4:10, texted her again with the exact location. She texted back at 4:23 that it took longer to scrape the ice off her car than expected. I thought I knew where she was leaving from, so assumed she'd be there in 10-15 minutes. She didn't show til 4:50, just as I was leaving. I was really pi$$ed by then, so I let her know and left. Would you have waited that long? Was I unreasonable?

Does it make a difference that she frequently does this? About a year ago, she called me an hour after she was supposed to meet me to let me know she was leaving the house. She lives an hour away from where we were meeting. I told her not to bother.
I would either not meet her like that anymore, or make it clear the next time that you will wait only 15 minutes (or whatever you want) and then you will leave.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,455,706 times
Be thankful this is a friend and not a family member. You can choose your friends.

Different people have different internal clocks and perception of what is rude. I am an early bird and show up on time to the minute usually. (never early because I think that is rude too.) I went to a party once at 7:00, on time with hostess gift in hand. The hostess was shocked and obviously not ready. She assumed that people wouldn't arrive until 7:45-8:00. I was horribly embarrassed and realized that not everyone has the same ideas about time that I do.

That being said, your friend is rude and inconsiderate. If she is worth being friends with, you will have to realize that she will not change. You can't change people. You may change what you do. If you are meeting at 3:30, show up at 4:00. It is not considered rude to this person, because their perception of timeliness is different to yours. If she is offended by this, she is not truly your friend and is just being manipulative.

Accept it or move on.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:11 PM

213 posts, read 663,875 times
I say wait no more than 15 minutes. Nothing irks me more than someone who is constantly late, and makes you wait. I have a friend that has always been late, making me wait. I quit making plans with her for the most part. If I give in and decide to do something I call and make sure she is on the way when she is supposed to be, if she is running late I tell her never mind. My time is important, so respect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships