Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:03 PM

11,414 posts, read 24,522,343 times

Advertisements

No drama, thanks. My family likes one another and we keep things fairly relaxed and simple. I don't really think it's boring. We eat and talk, catching up with the news. Then we eat some more or go visit neighbors. Plenty of time for napping. It's all good.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,400,555 times
We are going to be home with each other, the dog and both cats.
We like dull and boring.
We have been invited to a friends house for lunch however, their children and grandchildren will not be present.
Just six of us, their dog and our dog.
Nice quiet adult chat with two dogs running about like goons.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:45 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,575,429 times
My wife and I don't call them the "holler days" for nothing. Thanksgiving was melodramatic all over the place. Today was boring as hell with the in-laws. I kinda preferred Thanksgiving. There was some yelling, then we left early. Today we had to stick around.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:06 PM

633 posts, read 1,016,279 times
Boring wins everytime. Years ago I enjoyed all the hub bub, but I have enough drama in my daily work life.

Simple dinner, watching movies, just me and hubby and our dogs on Christmas Day.

We have already done the round of parties and seeing people. Sent the kids and grandkids all of their gifts, tomorrow we will skype with them and talk on the phone, and that is just perfect for a lovely wonderful Christmas :-)

Old 12-24-2013, 08:43 PM

48,625 posts, read 35,078,116 times
I prefer neither. Just getting together with family I love and catching up with some wine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-24-2013, 08:44 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,600,268 times
Boring day sitting at home reading about everyone else's drama on Facebook.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,859,026 times
I detest drama at Christmas family gatherings.

I just got back from our Christmas Eve dinner at my step-grandmother's, and I spent the majority of the time in one of the back bedrooms reading a book. They invite a bunch of friends of my stepmother's over who are just nasty people. They bash people who are poor, unemployed, gays, and just about any other group that they have venom towards. They know I don't like them and badmouth me when I'm out of the room.

Why do I bother going? I get crap if I don't show up, so I eat my food as quickly as possible and then disappear to the opposite end of the house until it is over.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:40 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,909,022 times
How about... normal?

DH's family is freaking crazy and I'm sure you wouldn't believe half the stories I could tell. One year it was just his parents and us, and his father remarked "it just doesn't feel like Christmas" (presumably because there was no yelling or drama) and then proceeded with an Airing of the Grievances, back to how my husband imperfectly cut the lawn when he was 11 years old.

Now we stay home, get enough Chinese take-out to last for two days, open presents, laugh, avoid Facebook, watch Christmas specials, stay in jammies all day... I suppose it qualifies as "boring" but to us it's normal, drama-free, and enjoyable - like most other days of our lives.

Life is too short to get ulcers from other people, regardless of whether they or not are an unfortunate coincidence of DNA.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:11 PM

22,701 posts, read 47,906,544 times
"Do you prefer boring or drama at Christmas?"

Neither.
There IS middle ground... and that's where we will fall.
Fun, good conversation, and great food!

Old 12-24-2013, 10:23 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,400,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I detest drama at Christmas family gatherings.

I just got back from our Christmas Eve dinner at my step-grandmother's, and I spent the majority of the time in one of the back bedrooms reading a book. They invite a bunch of friends of my stepmother's over who are just nasty people. They bash people who are poor, unemployed, gays, and just about any other group that they have venom towards. They know I don't like them and badmouth me when I'm out of the room.

Why do I bother going? I get crap if I don't show up, so I eat my food as quickly as possible and then disappear to the opposite end of the house until it is over.

I would not go to a gathering like this and I certainly would not allow anyone to give me any grief over it either.
If they are like you state why would you care that they are going to talk about you if you aren't there when they already talk about you when you are there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships