Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,846,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I hope you never get a major disease or chronic illness.
I have an Auto Immune Liver Disease and it took me one full year to get over what started as a simple cold, 12 months, 6 medications (several rounds of each) and a permanent inhaler later I finally started feeling better. It all started on June 19, 2012 and I finally felt completely human again June 19, 2013.

Do you have only one bed in your home? If you have a guest room why didn't you put her in there?
I don't think the OP said though that she has a major immune disorder. I assume her health is good.

Someone with no immune system should probably not have guests over to their home at all. People can be contagious before they show symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 03:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,749,461 times
If it is norovirus you will find out in about 48 hours. If so, you will have more sympathy for her, and will need someone to care for you for about 24 hours. If it is norovirus, you are already infected. It is extremely contagious. Just being in the same room with someone will do it.

If she recovers within 24 hours, get ready. Have a barf bucket by your bed, and leave the bathroom door open. Put a barf bucket by the toilet too, because you will be simultaneously barfing and squirting. It's a humbling experience.

Or maybe it's just food poisoning and not contagious at all. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,846,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If it is norovirus you will find out in about 48 hours. If so, you will have more sympathy for her, and will need someone to care for you for about 24 hours. If it is norovirus, you are already infected. It is extremely contagious. Just being in the same room with someone will do it.

If she recovers within 24 hours, get ready. Have a barf bucket by your bed, and leave the bathroom door open. Put a barf bucket by the toilet too, because you will be simultaneously barfing and squirting. It's a humbling experience.

Or maybe it's just food poisoning and not contagious at all. Good luck.
From the CDC:

You can become infected with norovirus by accidentally getting stool or vomit from infected people in your mouth. This usually happens by
•eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,
•touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus then putting your fingers in your mouth, or
•having contact with someone who is infected with norovirus (for example, caring for or sharing food or eating utensils with someone with norovirus illness).

CDC - Norovirus - Transmission

Old 12-22-2013, 06:14 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,930,925 times
What!!!!! they should have left ASAP!!!!!

I hope someday you'll tell people this story and laugh about it.

We had a 'Flu that ate Christmas' once. We were all firmly entrenched at my husband's parents' home when he got a stomach bug on christmas Eve. Then his mom got it, Dad got it. We carried on as best we could. As soon as my husband was able to travel i packed up him and our two kids and hit the road....but not soon enough, his brother, SIL and their 2 kids got it. Me and my children were unscathed for which I have always felt guilty. But not very guilty!

Old 12-22-2013, 07:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,026,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
It's just the height of rudeness to go to someone's house ill, vomit in their toilet, then crash in their bed (making extra work for their host, not to mention sharing their germs). Why couldn't they just STAY HOME and be sick there?
That was my thought! Why would you come over if you know you are sick?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,954,191 times
I think it's the rudest thing in the world that she came over sick, and then took over YOUR bed (beds are private and sacred), and then her husband LEFT her there. They sound like guests from Hell.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,730,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
They just left, I sprayed everything with Lysol & the bedding is in the washing machine. I hugged her hello when they walked in so if it's contagious there's probably no avoiding it
Not true at all. It's not like a cold, traveling through the fecal (or vomit) to oral route instead, including getting into food via dirty (think about it) hands. It makes you think differently when you see people sitting over a platter of finger food, talking and spitting, then digging in with their hands. Also, kids are notorious, for whatever reason, for putting their hands in EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF FOOD on every plate, as crude as it is. In my house, the kids get their own buffet, adults another. I don't care whose poorly behaved kids eat off of what--they all have a separate "habitat".

The virus can lurk for a long time on surfaces, so clean door knobs, flushers, sink handles, etc. If you understand how the virus moves from person to person, you can figure out how to virtually eliminate it altogether without getting sick. Of course you'll never avoid it permanently, but you can greatly reduce your exposure, even if someone brings it into your house, so don't worry too much about it.

Also, those lovely toothbrush holders that people have in their bathrooms where the toothbrushes are exposed to the air... not a good idea. Throw out your toothbrush and open a new one, because yours is probably misted with toilet vapor every day. Store them in a cabinet or closed container. If someone gets sick in one bathroom, avoid using that bathroom for a few days until you've cleaned it.

If you do get sick, which everyone does at some point in their lives, try to do everyone a favor and stay away from other people for several days after you feel better. It will greatly reduce the likelihood of spreading it. The disease is shed for days after feeling better, which is probably why it spreads so fast. People think they are better, but they aren't. They go back to making food and working at restaurants, making holiday treats, etc., well before they should.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:40 PM

6,888 posts, read 11,278,382 times
Smile Maybe she is pregnant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
They just left, I sprayed everything with Lysol & the bedding is in the washing machine. I hugged her hello when they walked in so if it's contagious there's probably no avoiding it
Years ago, first child - did not know I was pregnant - I had gone to see a building for rent with a bunch of other people and the bathrooms were locked. I felt like I was going to be sick, had no idea why and I was really really sick. I was mortified.

Thought it was a flu. Two weeks later, I did the test and I was pregnant (happy).

Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,163,843 times
This thread is SO far off what I thought it would be about when I read the title ....

Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,066,366 times
Ok, so apparently she wasn't feeling 100% when they left her mother in law's house, but figured it would pass, but only got worse when they got to our house. Pretty understandable on her part. I think her husband was selfish about the whole thing & should have taken her home the second she ran upstairs.

I spoke with her hubby yesterday, & he said he took her to a dr & it shouldn't be contagious, so fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships