Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:18 PM

44,413 posts, read 20,167,631 times

Advertisements

People, please stay on topic and knock it off with the bickering and personal attacks.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-18-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:58 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,301,380 times
A question for the mod ...

Clearly posts were deleted, and I respect your decision to do so. I'm not questioning that. What I'm curious about is that it appears that I am the only who had posts deleted. The other poster's messages are also gone, but there appear to be no panels showing where their messages were and subsequently deleted. So it appears (at least on my screen) that I was the only one with deleted messages. Is there a reason for this? I'm trying to figure out the mechanics of this forum.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,328,445 times
Just because someone sends you a gift you do not have to send one back. However, I enjoy the whole gift giving thing. I try to find something special for all my family and friends. It is not about money, but it is about the thought.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,803,614 times
I personally would feel offended getting a giftcard to PetSmart. One, I don't have any pets. Two, even if I had a pet, how about giving ME a gift instead of something for my pet. But I know that some people think more highly of pets than they do other people. It would really bother me to get such a gift.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,301,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Just because someone sends you a gift you do not have to send one back. However, I enjoy the whole gift giving thing.
Exactly. Some people genuinely want to give gifts to the people they love without any expectation of anything in return. I don't see anything wrong with that.

It's a sad day when people are criticized for their generosity.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,250,633 times
Before I did what you did, I would have found a senior with a pet/pets who's barely getting by, and made their day. Some do without food for themselves or their medications, and would really appreciate the help. So, looking at what you could have done, seems silly how it turned out. You gave the store double $$$ for the cards, now that's just crazy. You picked getting even or pulling a funny, over helping someone in need, imo.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,910,280 times
Why the drama? Thank the sibling, then use it online or give it to an animal shelter.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,750,595 times
You could have used the gift card on the PetSmart website to buy whatever you wanted OR purchased gifts for your sister's cats and have them shipped to her.

I don't get the "using the gift card to buy a gift card". Are you saying you used a PetSmart gift card to buy another PetSmart gift card? That makes NO sense at all!!! You could have simply:

1. Mailed it back to her with a thank you note but explaining you can't use it because the closest store is 50 miles away and you don't like to order from the website

2. Donated it to either a local animal rescue OR to a neighbor with pets

3. Held onto it in the event you are ever in the vicinity of a PetSmart and you want to pick something up.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,084,627 times
Why not use the giftcard online? I just got one for Walmart from my brother. No clue why. I don't go there. I don't want to go there. I figure I'll just buy something online, like a movie or something.

Granted, they give me different ones every year. I think if you use it to buy a gift for them, then it's not doing its purpose. Maybe mention that PetSmart is 50 miles away and that you'd prefer XYZ instead. It's your sibling, why can't you just tell them that?

I'd say something about the Walmart card, but I know I'll get something different. If I knew that I was getting that over and over again, I'd just tell my brother, "stop sending me Walmart. How about XYZ instead".

Old 12-19-2013, 01:19 AM

5,298 posts, read 7,662,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
A suggestion:

You could send her a quick thank-you note to say that you donated the gift card to your (more) local (favorite?) animal shelter. I'm sure someone at the shelter can make arrangements to get needed items or have them delivered?
This would have been lovely and more appropriate, I think. The local Humane Society in our area loves to get gift cards to use in time of need. I'm sure they won't care where they come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships