Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,803,295 times

Advertisements

UPDATE:

I put my email address on my letter and I have already got five notes from my old friends, via email and they all loved my stock three paragraph letter I sent out to everyone. The cards just arrived in their mail boxes on Saturday.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM

24,814 posts, read 11,225,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
UPDATE:

I put my email address on my letter and I have already got five notes from my old friends, via email and they all loved my stock three paragraph letter I sent out to everyone. The cards just arrived in their mail boxes on Saturday.
Good for you!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,555,670 times
I love hearing from old friends. I'm not the best at keeping up with people, so I truly enjoy a card out of the blue.

It does help if they have email or Facebook, they way I won't lose touch again.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:30 PM

16,198 posts, read 10,876,827 times
I send out 40 cards and get about half that number in return. I include a one-page synopsis of my year since I have always lived a few hours distant from most my friends and relations (and the highway only seems to go one way). I see folks only on rare occasions but we do occasionally email. My frequent emailers don't usually send out cards...which is fine. This year I moved 1,000 miles further away and my note was an update on my move and my new address. It is likely that I'll not see some of those people ever again and lose track of them. I'll keep sending cards whether I get one or not.

Quiz...
What are Christmas Cards for?
A. To offer heart felt Christmas greetings to friends and family.
B. To touch base with friends and family to see who is still kickin'.
C. To offer general holiday greetings and a chatty note on how the year has gone.
D. To serve as a marketing tool for keeping in touch with business associates or clients.
E. To provide a revenue stream for card companies and the postal system.
F. All of the above

Old 12-16-2013, 03:47 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
At Christmas it seems people often send cards to those they otherwise don't talk to all year. If you want to reconnect with someone, I think a personal and handwritten notecard at some other time of year would be the way to do it.

If I was on the receiving end of said Christmas card, after I read it and thought "thanks for the update", I probably wouldn't give it another thought unless I really desired to reconnect. People whose friendships I value, I don't let just drift apart.

Yep.

Not to mention that those holiday form letters tend to be viewed as obnoxious and narcissistic by a lot of people, even when there is a personal, hand-written note attached.

Put it to you this way, if you were that important to me, I'd have inquired after you a long time ago. To hear from you out of the blue in a manner that is all about you and your life does not signify interest in mine. It signifies a desire to talk about yourself.

Forget it.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 PM

100 posts, read 119,444 times
My Great Uncle does that and I love reading his yearly letters (even though I now live close to him). The kids (us) always try to "make it into the letter" a silly little competition we have during the year.
I keep all of them since he started sending me my own mail.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:17 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,265,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So I guess you have never sent a sympathy card or made a memorial contribution since you haven't put a stamp on an envelope in years. That's kind of sad.
Did you know it is possible to make payments online instantly, even to make memorial contributions (which I have done)? And no, I dont send sympathy cards. I either call or go see someone personally.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,301,450 times
Isn't this what Facebook is for?

I vowed not to send cards this year. I've sent them to close friends and family for a number of years, and I seldom get any from them. I'm done with sending cards.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:41 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Did you know it is possible to make payments online instantly, even to make memorial contributions (which I have done)? And no, I dont send sympathy cards. I either call or go see someone personally.
That's a shame. I still have the sympathy cards from when my mother passed away. Occasionally I go back and read them, and the beautiful things people wrote inside them are a comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Isn't this what Facebook is for?

I vowed not to send cards this year. I've sent them to close friends and family for a number of years, and I seldom get any from them. I'm done with sending cards.
I hear ya. I send them to my clients and a couple of close friends and that's it. With me, it's mainly an environmental thing. As you say, there's Facebook. We also have email and phones. When people are important to me, I reach out to them to see how they're doing.

And not for nothing, but the holidays are such a hectic time. If someone wants to renew a friendship, I'd think it would be more effective to reach out at another time of year, when people are not pulled in 40 million directions and have as many things to do. Then you can really communicate and find out how the person is, instead of just talking about yourself.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Status: "Happy Memorial Day to all who served." (set 1 day ago)

24,161 posts, read 32,660,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
UPDATE:

Thanks for the update and please continue to keep us informed!

Look, I'm not retired yet, and I'm on Facebook almost every day, but even some of my newer friends from Facebook and I exchange Christmas Cards. There is still something very nice, tangible and personal about receiving something in the mail.

Last year about twenty of my friends from different eras of my life - childhood, high school, college, firs job, first home etc participated in an ornament swap. Those of us who like crafting, made the ornaments. Others with a gift for shopping purchased ornaments. We were all women, most of us not terribly accustomed to being pampered around the holidays, and this brought us all a lot of joy!

The exchange of a physical item precipitated two reunions this year!

Look I get it. There are those who want to "call it even" on the holidays. Don't send me a card, or a gift, because I don't want to be bothered". Certainly there are those in that camp. Doesn't make them bad people, but that's how they are built emotionally.

Then there's the rest of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships