Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,368,062 times

Advertisements

The card, nice.
The newsletter could easily be viewed as obnoxious and a bit pretentious.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:55 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,803,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
The card, nice.
I STRONGLY DISAGREE!

If someone is sending out many Holiday Cards with just a simple signature, I throw them out in the trash. But I love a letter enclosed and will read it no matter how long it is if I liked the person or were close at one time. I expect the letter to only say the good things but would be amused if they told some bad luck stories too.

My letter is three paragraphs.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 AM

22,720 posts, read 47,950,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Yes, it very well COULD be viewed that way.
As I said before, it depends on the content and context.

Some letters are wonderful and appreciated; some are awful, braggy and/or pompous and get tossed immediately.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,954,699 times
I appreciate receiving cards and newsletters from people. If the newsletter is overly long and/or seems to be thinly disguised bragging, I just read it quickly and figure no harm is done. For the most part I am very interested in what people have been doing.

However, I have not sent out any Christmas cards for several years, and am unlikely to ever again. With the advent of email, social media, and unlimited national-wide long distance phoning 24/7, it just seems like too much work.

However, I do thank people for their cards and newsletters (by email or phone call).

Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,844,107 times
I think social media is a great substitute for the yearly Christmas card and letter. E cards are way more fun too. My favorite card by far this year is a hand made one by one of my shorties apologizing for being a "monster" and thanking us for everything we do for them. Priceless.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,991,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
When you are newly retired, like me, you might like to think about friends and relatives from the past that you just don't talk to anymore. In most cases there was no blow up, but instead we just drifted apart.

So I decided to try to reconnect and developed a nice letter that we sent to everyone, along with a Christmas card. I wrote a personal note to everyone on the card and included a report on what my wife and I have been doing this year in a copied letter. I sent it to about 100 people. About 3/4 of them we did not talk to last year for some reason but we had been close to at one point.

Do you send a holiday card and letter to old friends you have lost touch with? If you got such a card from an old friend you had not talked to for years, how would you respond?
When did you find the time?

Old 12-16-2013, 11:18 AM

3,137 posts, read 5,088,340 times
I would love it! I am not a fan of the cards with just a signature. I love the newsletters or updates. I really enjoy seeing things people are doing. Particularly travel or new interests. I don't see them as bragging. To me their activities make them more interesting people.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,213,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
OP, just because you are retired and bored doesn't mean, other people feel the same.

They might not have time to read your (probably long) story about yourself.

I wouldn't read it if it is longer as a paragraph.
That's a little cold. I will read a hand written annual letter. Forget sending me long emails with your political opinion however.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 AM

24,817 posts, read 11,241,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I STRONGLY DISAGREE!

If someone is sending out many Holiday Cards with just a simple signature, I throw them out in the trash. But I love a letter enclosed and will read it no matter how long it is if I liked the person or were close at one time. I expect the letter to only say the good things but would be amused if they told some bad luck stories too.

My letter is three paragraphs.
That seems to go along with your postings here. Where is the difference between a card and a rerun of 2013 in three paragraphs included in a card?

Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 AM

5,303 posts, read 5,267,217 times
Id read a short note; 3 paragraphs? Not likely. Definitely wouldnt respond with a card or mail. Havent put a stamp on an envelope for years. Id assume the letter was the same windy note that was send in all of your other cards, whether you sent 5 or 500.

Ive always wondered about people who send those long mini -bios in their cards. What makes them think people are that interested in your life, other than people you are already close to, who already know everything.

Cynical maybe, just seems a bit pretentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships