Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,221,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
My sister just returned from 10 days there and loved every minute. You will be fine in Italy..I'm jealous!!
Im going with four other friends and they are really nice people and I feel totally safe with them and I was in new york two weeks ago and I felt safe there . well anyways thanks kate . have any of you been to Tuscany ? that is one of our stops ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:05 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,228,705 times
[quote=415_s2k;32325697]I'm surprised that so many people can't see why he'd want to go back. It's pretty obvious to me...

Wars are generally one of if not the most pivotal and life-changing experiences for people that go through them. Especially for a young soldier whose first steps outside their parents' home is a battlefield in a foreign land: straight from mom and dad and your friends and people you recognize and Susie and home-cooked dinner and movies to your Lieutenant and your Sargeant and your squadmates and fearful locals and prostitutes who don't speak a lick of English and C/K rations and the ever-present detonations of bombs and artillery. Especially in a world before the internet, where many Americans had never seen an Asian person let alone been in a country full of them, think of how jarring it would be.

It was most likely the most glorious and frightening part of the man's life all at the same time. He fought a war in a distant land in his prime, and no doubt for every day since, he's carried with him memories of card games in candlelight with buddies who he saw disintegrated by explosions the next morning... the faces of civilians fleeing to the South, unsure whether they were thankful or fearful or spiteful... the beautiful way that the mist hovered over the mountains and the terror of not knowing whether there was a howitzer up on that mountain, pointed right at you, at that very moment. Quote
We have all read of people returning to areas in which they fought. I could understand South Korea. BUT North Korea is very unstable. Why risk that??

Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,230,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I seriously doubt that. Neither myself or any of my friends have ever expressed a desire to "visit" Iraq or Afghanistan.

Not yet, but I bet in 40 years some will.

I know a fair number of vietnam vets. Probably 75% have told me they saw enough and never ever want to set foot in that country. 25% have gone back or really want to. That will likely happen in the current wars as well.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:30 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,563,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Remember a few years back when those three young people went "hiking" in Iraq, and accidently crossed the border into Iran? Young and stupid, I guess I can see. But at this guy's age?
Yes, I sure do remember them!
It has prob already been mentioned but he wanted to visit the old place where he was
stationed.
I know some Viet Nam vets that visit every year to heal...and now they have and just love the
people...quite the vacation spot for world travelers, I guess.

But, nutty North Korea with that Saturday Night Live Leader...no way!
I have no trust for countries like that and their hatred of the USA.

(He was prob thinking at 85, what would they ever do to HIM!)

Old 11-22-2013, 07:31 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,968,263 times
I guess the old man was trying to relive his youth, when he fought over there, but it was a dumb move to go to such a volatile country with such a madman for a leader. We Americans have this crazy notion that the going to the rest of the world is like going to Ohio, and the fact is, lots of places are simply dangerous and out of control.

Not sure why they wanted to keep him, maybe they feel some war crimes were committed by him and want to make an example out of him.

Don

Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM

13,432 posts, read 28,866,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not yet, but I bet in 40 years some will.

I know a fair number of vietnam vets. Probably 75% have told me they saw enough and never ever want to set foot in that country. 25% have gone back or really want to. That will likely happen in the current wars as well.
Over 40 years later and my hubbie has no desire to ever set foot in Viet Nam....and he was on an aircraft carrier not actually on the land

Old 11-22-2013, 08:10 AM

13,432 posts, read 28,866,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Im going with four other friends and they are really nice people and I feel totally safe with them and I was in new york two weeks ago and I felt safe there . well anyways thanks kate . have any of you been to Tuscany ? that is one of our stops ...
Phonelady.....take a browse through this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...taly-trip.html

Old 11-22-2013, 09:26 AM

993 posts, read 1,568,744 times
It's hard to feel bad for the guy. I can't cry for people who get burned when playing with fire.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,034,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I wouldn't go to China if you paid me. Although I do know Americans who have taught English there, one cannot convince me that it is safe for Americans to travel to. That and I don't like Chinese food.

The OP really needs to put more info in the post. More of the "who, what, where". Why would she assume we have the slightest idea what she is talking about?

Anyways regarding the above:
China is safe to travel to, you can't expect privacy, but it's safe. I go there for business as my company has many operations there. My company actually have some American expats there. In Shanghai you can have Chinese food that consists of raw duck eggs and eals...or New York strip steak from the finest resteraunts in the world.

Italy and the rest of Europe - my God people, I go there like I cross the street. Several times a year at least. No problem anywhere in Western Europe.

North Korea - no way. For one thing it is very difficult visa/logistics wise to go there, for another thing there is nothing of interest to see there except starving and depressed people and/or only the few selected sites the government will allow you to visit.

Last edited by Dd714; 11-22-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 10:38 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,267,795 times
Whatever the age, it's irritating when US citizens go into KNOWN hostile countries and then have to have the US get their behinds out of trouble.

I don't know why Italy, etc. fell into this discussion - it's not a hostile country. Here is a short list for US tourists:

Don't go to Libya. Don't be gay and go to Russia. Don't go to Iran. Don't go to North Korea. Don't go to Somalia. Don't go to Syria. Don't go to Pakistan. Don't go to Afghanistan. Don't go to Iraq. I can't believe people have to be told this. Turn on the news. Either that - or go anyway and we leave you there when things go bad.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 11-22-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships