Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,749,555 times

Advertisements

I've been planning a trip to South Beach with friends for the past 2 months. It's next week. I just found out today my mom has been laid off....for the past 4 months. I live in Chicago; my mom is in South Carolina.

She's always made very little money and is always behind in her bills. Sometimes I pay some of her bills and send her money. I'm surprised she didn't tell me; my aunt just found today and told me. I went on vacation to San Fran last month...if I would have known this I would have never made vacation plans for Cali and FL!

How fair would that be...me going to MIA next week when I have no clue if she's even eating enough or about to have bills cut off? My aunt told me I can't tell my mom I know cuz she'll be pissed she told me :/

I feel like I should cancel the MIA trip for next week and send my mom money...I just feel so guilty having to cancel as I planned the trip and everyone has bought their tickets...but they should be understanding...right..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
You might want to post these questions in the relationships thread.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,136,400 times
Cancel the vacation and help your mom!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,008 times
Wouldn't you understand if this problem was your friends rather than yours? Talk it over with them. If it were me I would help my Mom.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Go on vacation. Your Mom will call if she needs funds. And she can get food stamps. I support my Mom too, but I don't deny myself. She chose her own path.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
I would go on the vacation, since everything is already paid for, and send my mom money.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,620,329 times
jasper12,You are right! Its Way? But perhaps if you'll really need assistance, (You'll ask for help) do not to the native people?
southkakkatlantan,Call my mother and ask-whether she needs help. And make, its move on conscience

Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I've been planning a trip to South Beach with friends for the past 2 months. It's next week. I just found out today my mom has been laid off....for the past 4 months. I live in Chicago; my mom is in South Carolina.

She's always made very little money and is always behind in her bills. Sometimes I pay some of her bills and send her money. I'm surprised she didn't tell me; my aunt just found today and told me. I went on vacation to San Fran last month...if I would have known this I would have never made vacation plans for Cali and FL!

How fair would that be...me going to MIA next week when I have no clue if she's even eating enough or about to have bills cut off? My aunt told me I can't tell my mom I know cuz she'll be pissed she told me :/

I feel like I should cancel the MIA trip for next week and send my mom money...I just feel so guilty having to cancel as I planned the trip and everyone has bought their tickets...but they should be understanding...right..?
What do you mean "MIA trip"?

Is your concern about not having enough money for both the trip and helping your mother?

Could you manage to do both? Is your mom someone who doesn't handle her life and repeatedly gets into situations like this from a result of poor planning or is there more to it?

I don't think help is always a given based on the person's relationship to you. It always depends on several things, family or not.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
What do you mean "MIA trip"?

Is your concern about not having enough money for both the trip and helping your mother?

Could you manage to do both? Is your mom someone who doesn't handle her life and repeatedly gets into situations like this from a result of poor planning or is there more to it?

I don't think help is always a given based on the person's relationship to you. It always depends on several things, family or not.
MIA= Miami

I think I could manage to do both if I compromise by going a day later and come back in the morning instead of evening. I could also fly into Fort Lauderdale instead of Mia, which would save money that could be sent to her.

Yes, my mom has issues as everyone does and yes, she has made mistakes (staying at this $9/hr job for 14 years without trying to do better is one of them IMO). But she's still my mom and now that I know what I know I feels it's only right to help. I honestly think she didn't want me to know so I wouldn't alter my plans/budget based on her circumstances, but hey, that's life....

I'm just very torn as everyone has purchased their flights already, and it's next week. As of right now I'm feeling like the 'compromise' proposed above would work best...

Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Wouldn't you understand if this problem was your friends rather than yours? Talk it over with them. If it were me I would help my Mom.
I would, but everyone is not as understanding as me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships