Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 PM

14 posts, read 30,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You have a lot to atone for.

A LOT.

They are ticked off because you are not only lying to them, you are lying to yourself when you say you "did the best you could".

The fact is, you didn't.

You made selfish choices that hurt them.

Start by getting real with yourself before you ever try reconciling with them.

Because unless and until you do, they will never be able to get past this.

Perfectly stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:45 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,571,002 times
Wth with these threads. And why is it that secretaries are always the ones? Give me a break.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,029,494 times
My dad cheated on my mom numerous times, finally one of his whores got herself pregnant (I think she did it on purpose to get my dad's money) and then that's when my mom said she was done.

I didn't speak to my dad for over 5 years and now our relationship is strained, I don't care much for him, his "wife," her extended family, nor my half brother. I speak to him 1-2 times a year and that's about it.

You want to know what would work? Get on your damn knees and BEG for forgiveness. Call them everyday and say "I love you and I'm sorry I hurt you and your mother."

EVERY.SINGLE.DAY you do this until they come around. And if they don't, just remember, you made your bed.

I don't think my dad and I will ever have a good relationship, I've tried, but I can't get past the hurt and feeling that he put others before his kids.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,408,544 times
OP, the way you've described this situation will make it difficult to stay on-topic within "Parenting" because how you parented your sons isn't what you're asking opinions about, therefore, I'm moving to "Non-Romantic Relationships" due to the presumed age of your sons and the root cause of the deterioration of your relationship with them.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:05 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,265,181 times
I'll say something anyway.
OP, if you are real, your sons won't forgive you right away. It'll take years, so forget it happening anytime soon. You don't deserve it. Why would you think they would so soon, when you've done it BEFORE?! You've cheated already, you've hurt them before, and hurt their mother, broken their hearts and their family. Hurt me once, shame on you, hurt me twice, shame on me! They are right to not just let it go. Sheesh. And you didn't have time for them but time for the other women and strip clubs. Yeah, don't give us that crap about caring for them the same. You didn't. If you did, you wouldn't have destroyed their family unit. Plus, if you were really sorry you wouldn't be coming up with these excuses. You keep defending yourself. There is NO defense. No "But" this and "But" that. Until you realise that, there will be no moving forward. If I were your kid, I wouldn't have anything to do with you either.

Last edited by Jaded; 11-15-2013 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 AM

88,905 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHenry View Post
While they were little, I did the best I could. I worked 12 hours a day for years and years and I certainly didn't do it for myself.

I know I probably have millions of faults but still, I'm their father, I watched them being born and I care for them as much as their mother does, even if they don't believe it.
That's great, but merely supporting them isn't being a father. Did you also take time out to develop a relationship with them and get to know them? It doesn't sound that way, and no, that's not the best you could. That's the minimum you could. And you badly hurt the person they probably love most in the world. "but still, I'm their father" doesn't cancel that out.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:24 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,222,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Does anyone think that these bombshell first posts by new users are really CD planting threads to keep activity high? Doesn't really make sense to be anything else to me.

Do you see the black helicopters outside? They ARE watching you.

Seriously, CD doenst need to do this and this is hardly a "bombshell". It happens everyday, just another affair and broken marriage. Going to have to be a lot bigger to be a bombshell by my definition.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,214,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I didn't speak to my dad for over 5 years and now our relationship is strained, I don't care much for him, his "wife," her extended family, nor my half brother. I speak to him 1-2 times a year and that's about it.
Would that be fair to a 1/2 sibling?? They are family and certainly did nothing to you.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:53 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,926,783 times
This probably is a troll thread, but an interesting subject anyway. Every time I hear this song it makes me sort of sad because it is so true of so many Fathers who missed out on their kids growing up. Once that bell is rung is is very hard to unring it.

Cat's In The Cradle - YouTube

Don

Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,711,900 times
When you want to keep some certain people in your life, treat them well - always.

After you don't treat them well you are on your own - forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships