Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,903,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I like facebook. It is certainly a way for me to see family members that I otherwise would not see or hear from. I get to see my nephews children growing up. I only see them personally about 1-2x a year, so it is nice to see them on fb.

I have recently unfriended and blocked a friend from high school and there will be more to come. Everything is racial to her. Everything is about white people treating black people wrong.

Paula Deen this Trayvon that. White people blah blah. Block.

I have hidden what I see from A LOT of people. That way they are not unfriended, but I also don't have to hear about every time they breathe, etc.

There are a choice few that I keep in a way that I see everything they post.
This has been a problem recently with me as well. I went to a majority black school and many on FB are black classmates. As of late so many are posting these things about Trayvon Martin and Paula Deen and it is driving me nuts. This one guy had a major crush on me and still sends me love emails yet he will then post things like "white people are always racist".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,455,111 times
Why, oh why, am I not surprised the OP has a list of what is an isn't acceptable to be posted on FB? I have only blocked one person-my ex-stepmother-so she couldn't try to contact me, after I found out she was bugging my brother. My BFF is constantly posting God this, God that. She and I are not on the same page where God is concerned but I wouldn't unfriend her for it.

Mostly I just skim status updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I actually love it when friends post vacation pics on FB. I don't consider it bragging, it's just a fun wa to share what you're up to.m

It's fun if they're vacationing somewhere I've been, and I can relive my own memories, smile if I see they found the little cafe I told them about, etc.

It's also lots of fun if they're vacationing somewhere I've never been; I can live vicariously thru them.
It's also a great and easy way to share pictures with people you were on a trip with.

A lot of the things I post on FB are things I want to remember and it's a handy place to do it.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:24 AM

806 posts, read 2,343,154 times
YES!! I am getting so annoyed with Facebook..
Especially when as soon as I log on, there are these 2 guys who must say hi immediately.. Any random time of the day also.. I can't even browse without being bothered. I try to just say Hi back, they want a conversation... I have been blowing them off more or just ignoring the conversation past a few comments.. I feel like I'm being watched...

Then theres the girl whos pissed at the world and her failures in life and wants to get back on track but constantly ******* about the same things...

Braggers-OMG, too many.. Esp guys and their trucks.. Or the girls trying to look HOT/Sexy.. Really....
Or the ones who are ALWAYS at the bar!! OMG, do they need to drink every night to be cool!!

I love the ones who are having fun, enjoying life, being active..

I avoided the Travon/Paula madness..

Its wearing its welcome.. I used to like FB and look forward to new posts.. Now its kind of depressing...

I need to delete people I guess!

Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,337,057 times
I can't stand when people post articles about political stuff from obvious biased websites and its usually always right wing. A few of the women are pregnant and every one of their status updates has to do with being pregnant, the baby is on their bladder, the baby is kicking etc.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 PM

21 posts, read 32,565 times
I have a friend on facebook who posts constantly about the most inane things you can think of. This is an actual example: "I was cleaning out the attic today and found this old magazine - and later I made this meatloaf." And, he adds pictures of them on top of that. What's really sad is that he actually got 12 "likes" and 19 comments for this junk - none from me. It just goes to show that he and his other facebook friends have no life.

Besides being a relative, I guess I haven't deleted him because his idiotic posts make me appreciate my own life a little bit more.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 PM

728 posts, read 1,901,505 times
These are the people of Facebook:

Baby Crazy: Posts hourly photo of their baby. The uglier the baby the more they seem to post.

Likes Everything: Pretty much likes everything you post. Every. Single. Thing.

Instagram Addicts: Takes pictures of anything and everything especially food they are about to eat.

Biole Thumper: Posts religious pictures, scripture etc and always has to pray for everyone.

The Attention *****: Takes millions of self portraits, usually with the stupid duck face

The Perfect Person: Always talking about or positing pictures of their seemingly perfect life

The Reposter: Never posts anything original. Just reposts what others post.

The Lurker: Never posts anything, likes anything. Just reads.

Feel free to add to the list

Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 AM

747 posts, read 1,683,997 times
See this is why I refuse to have facebook because people act dumber then heck with it. Everyone either gets offended over every little thing or they just use it as a gossip tool. Why is it so bad for people to post that they are happy or sad, or post vacation photos? Maybe they want to share with the people that they think cares, obviously some people have some really crappy friends on their pages and some really mean uncaring family members.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 AM

750 posts, read 1,435,564 times
I've only deleted one person that I can think of. I have "hidden" several.... mostly the endless game players, inviting me to play along.

The one I deleted was a dog breeder who I'd purchased a dog from many years ago. I liked her, saw her at various dog shows, and we had good conversations. I liked her sense of humor.

I got into rescue and working with shelters, and started to become somewhat annoyed by the whole breeding/dog showing "sport" and stopped attending dog shows. I still liked her, personally, though, and we kept up via facebook.

Then, with the election of Barack Obama, her rather mild right-wing-leaning posts changed. I had disagreed with her views, usually, but I have lots of friends whose views I don't necessarily agree with. They are my friends and we can agree to disagree. This woman's posts became mean, vitriolic, and horribly racist. I tried to ignore her, until the Sandy Hook shootings. She posted some incredibly stupid thing about how Obama was responsible, and had the blood of those children on his hands and I had just had it. She was deleted. I do not miss her.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,444,246 times
I really don't have any real problem with what other people post on their Facebook pages. I like looking at vacation photos, I wish people happy birthday, I hide all the game requests. I may roll my eyes at some of the more political posts or the people who treat their dogs like children, but you can't expect everyone to say and do exactly what you want at all times.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:02 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,126,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Oh, the irony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
To me, she's saying she's screwing a married man, or she's married and screwing around. That's not bragging; that's just wrong and I would unfriend her just for being a h0.

So what? Are you just a sourpuss who can't enjoy the fact that your friends have good lives that they enjoy? Get real.

Oh wait. Aren't you're the ding-dong that rollerbladed an hour & a half one way to his training at work, wouldn't shower after you got there, was habitually late, then fell asleep at his computer on the job, and tried to say it was because he had a low blood sugar, and was asking why he was wrongfully terminated?

Grow up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
See this is why I refuse to have facebook because people act dumber then heck with it. Everyone either gets offended over every little thing or they just use it as a gossip tool. Why is it so bad for people to post that they are happy or sad, or post vacation photos? Maybe they want to share with the people that they think cares, obviously some people have some really crappy friends on their pages and some really mean uncaring family members.
FB is what you make it - for you. When I friend someone, they are in full access; but as time goes on, I may limit that person's access. For instance, one of my step-daughters is a drama queen. Her loves go in and out of her life as fast and often as I change my underwear! She's in a "no-show" status. Friends are shop-a-holics - also no-show. Big deal - they don't know I don't want to know all the details of love-life or latest "win-this". BUT they and I can see important status changes and, of course, I can always tag them for something important. So now I am rid of the minute by minute descriptions of someone's boring day yet I am still involved with important stuff.

I had resisted FB for some of the same reasons posted above, but now I find it quite valuable - especially planning a small outing - 2 friends posting (not private) and a 3rd finds she's free to join - maybe a 4th & 5th. GREAT. So easy, all can see, and there's no one left out of the final plans.

So take it for what you will. If you don't like religious postings or notifications of important life events (such as deaths), then this and other social venues are probably not for you. A cabin in the woods with no neighbors, phone, etc. is probably going to work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships