Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,020,385 times

Advertisements

Summer is chugging along for me. I just turned 22, I'm saving money the absolute most that I can, I want to leave for graduate school in August 2014. No dating prospects, however. Well, anyway, I have to maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout the whole next school year to meet the standards of most the Graduate Schools that I want to apply for, for example two of which are Ole Miss and Vanderbuilt, there are others to be certain because they have programs that work for me.

But, of course, what with my little sister about to get married after she graduates (I don't understand this, my sister has worked months shorter than me and has successfully moved out and got proposed to, while I can't even get a date or get up the money to do much of anything around here), my dad doesn't want me doing what I want to do. Now he's got my other grandmother "greatly concerned" about me going to a Southern school for college. The guy who used to verbally harass me late at night to scream "change your major or GET THE HELL OUT!" at me, now since cooled down since he has retired and recently became diabetic, wants me to stay living here for graduate school and doesn't want me to go to "N*ggerville" (Mississippi, in this instance) for college.

It's not as if he's even paying for my college anymore, I get financial aid for it, but he complains in and out about how I'm pissing college away and that I'll get stabbed if I leave town for college. I don't believe it for a minute. Some fun the college years are, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,019,524 times
Quote:
Some fun the college years are, huh?
Well, it'll be more fun once you get out of there.

Don't worry about the gf situation. Get out of that abusive household and on your own, and everything will get much better for you. You won't get stabbed and, eventually, you will get laid. Also you will get a decent career and a healthier psyche.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 PM

He's worried that he needs you, of course. If not for physical help, for companionship and for someone to pick on. Can he hire someone? Does he have health insurance or is there a state funded program?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,020,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
He's worried that he needs you, of course. If not for physical help, for companionship and for someone to pick on. Can he hire someone? Does he have health insurance or is there a state funded program?
I still live with both parents, mom isn't going to retire for at least another decade. He's on some form of retirement (can't remember) but it's through the state of Arizona. He should really stop buying and restoring houses, and just enjoy retirement. Always trying to keep some reason to keep me in town, much like how my sister moved into a house we were restoring for the last few years.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:07 AM

Scuse the third post. I had shut down my computer for the night, but now I am logging back on to say:

Your college where you are now, and the uni you will transfer to, probably both have free counseling available to students. Make use of it.

Growing up with that abuse will have taught you all sorts of messed up stuff about relationships and about yourself, that you need to unlearn before you can have healthy romantic relationship.

When you get out of school, counseling is expensive. And now is when your brain is young and flexible, and when you want to be finding a mate pretty soon. So make it a priority.

Good luck, and be kind to yourself.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:07 AM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Getting married too young, like your sister, is not a sign of success. It tends to be more a sign of a young woman who thinks marriage is her only option for a future, or for status in society. You're TOTALLY on the right track, Kid! Stay positive, don't let the home situation get you down. Find a group of kids to hang out with who support what you're doing and share interests with you.

But I'm not sure what you're asking. You should definitely go away to college (or grad school) and make a future for yourself. What are your other grad school choices? How will you pay for grad school? Choose carefully. Consider putting up a thread on the Education forum, on the Colleges subforum, if you want feedback regarding your grad school choices.

edit: I COMPLETELY AGREE with what Nila just posted! In fact, I probably posted something similar on one of your threads before. If your current school has a counseling center, make use of it. Consider it a form of mental and emotional housecleaning. It's very common for students to have baggage from home, and it's an investment in your future to address it. You'll be happier in the long run, trust us. And if you don't feel like you're getting anywhere with the first counselor, try another. It's about finding a good match, sometimes.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I still live with both parents, mom isn't going to retire for at least another decade. He's on some form of retirement (can't remember) but it's through the state of Arizona. He should really stop buying and restoring houses, and just enjoy retirement. Always trying to keep some reason to keep me in town, much like how my sister moved into a house we were restoring for the last few years.
Trying to keep control over you and your sis?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,249,794 times
The keyword is proposed to. You're a man, you can forget about a girl approaching you, because that doesn't happen often. Go out and ask out, man.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 AM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Your future is your own, kid! Congratulations on the financial aid, btw. Don't let dad guilt you into giving away your grad school dreams. You have an obligation to yourself to make the most of your education and your life. Dad needs to learn to let go. Good luck, Kid!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:18 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,708,909 times
Default What should you do?

Man up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships