Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 AM

373 posts, read 644,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well part of eating out with other people is talking to the people at the table. If you want to play with your phone than eat by yourself.

There is a serious disconnect going on in society today. I saw a young couple with three young children and all during the meal both parents stared at their phones, no interaction with their kids, no interaction between the two parents, they sat right across from us so it was hard to miss.

I found that very sad.

I find it kind of ironic that you're so concerned with tracking people down, do you actually want to see this person? I mean what is your endgame? Do you want to start socializing and getting together or do you just want another person to text and Facebook with?

I'm reminded of this TV ad for some car company. It shows a young woman who sits at the computer talking with her 300 "friends", while her poor middle aged parents only have a few friends.

The parents are shown out and about enjoying life, while the young woman has her 300 Facebook friends.
I would love to eat alone but I have young kids.

You really don't know the situation. I don't think people have to socialize with their children 24/7, but I can play a game and still maintain a conversation.

We ate out last night and the kids were coloring, SO and I were on phones. We had just spent all afternoon in the pool and stopped at the playground. We all needed a little downtime while we were waiting for our meals.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I hate it when people send me private messages on facebook because it takes me forever to get to that part of facebook. Private messages should be kept for things that you would not want anyone else to know you said to them. Hey to an old friend would work just fine on the friends wall. I only go into private messages once in a blue moon. Maybe your friend does too.

I like to keep my friends to a list of people who know each other and we all talk on the wall together. I don't think facebook is a private kind of place. I usually use e-mail for communicating private messages with friends. When I see someone that has more than 300 friends, I avoid them like the plague. They are not interested in talking to individuals; they are into popularity. I even sometimes put them on restriction. They can feed their own ego. I don't have time for that.
We are not Facebook friends. He is friends with my ex husband and I do not friend or post anything that my ex could potentially see. I message people for the sake of being discreet.

I do not have his email.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
maybe they don't know how to send/ read messages? I just showed someone tonight the purpose of the notification page! He didn't know he was getting tagged and that he could easily respond!! amazing, and Im certainly not a FB expert, lol
Could be but I would hope that's not the case. He is mid thirties and a police officer. He should have Facebook mastered.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Like the book and movie of the same name...."Maybe he's just not that into you"". Seriously, maybe this guy doesn't feel like restarting an old friendship with someone from his distant past. OP, maybe he is worried that his response would upset his wife or GF. Some spouses read each other's FB and so he just doesn't want to cause an upset at home. Or maybe since he is friends with your ex, he feels it would be better to keep his distance from you to maintain his relationship with the ex.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
We are not Facebook friends. He is friends with my ex husband and I do not friend or post anything that my ex could potentially see. I message people for the sake of being discreet.

I do not have his email.

Maybe you should have mentioned a few posts back that he is friends with your ex husband.

You also mentioned you have a SO, ever think that in most cases of divorce one of the things that gets split up is the friends? And in this case it sounds like he was your ex husband's friend and not really yours.

Since he is friends with your ex husband it would make sense he would remain friends with him and not you.

It sounds like he doesn't want to be bothered.

Sounds like you want to contact him for info on your ex husband, and he probably suspects that. Especially since he is a cop.

Doesn't sound like from your comment you have a good relationship with your ex, so why the need to connect with "his friend"?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Without going into too much detail. He is friends with my ex on Facebook, not so much in real life. I have known him most of my life and he would know that conversations about my ex would not be happening. I avoid my ex and anything to do with him.

However it may be a wife thing. He does have a new one of those.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
The worst feature Facebook ever added was showing what time someone reads your message. Stalk much? Sometimes I don't reply for days to someone's message. I've had people even on CD get mad at me for "ignoring" their direct messages. Sometimes I want to wait until I have more time to write, or I need some time to think about what I want to say. This person could still get back to you, and if not, is it really that big of a deal? Sure, the polite thing to do would be for him to respond, but for whatever reason he chose not to and there's no point getting upset over it. I deleted my Facebook a few weeks ago. It's not worth the drama. True friends get in touch with me over the phone and e-mail.

The chat thing on FB drives me nuts. I get on that site to laugh a little and look at all the pics. I have family all over the country (friends too), and I just don't have time to respond to every damn thing.

Like you, I prefer to set some time aside to respond to the in-depth questions, and I'll typically respond with: "I'll get with you later." Very important.....especially when an ex-girlfriend looks you up.

....and many of my DMs get lost in the game request mess anyway.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Maybe this should be a new criteria for friendships or relationships. Takes Facebook seriously or not. I think to a lot of people, Facebook connections are throwaways. If you knew that person well in real life, I would assume you would have some other means of contacting him.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,064 times
Default different social ettiquite

When i first joined facebook i was exstatic to see many old frirnds and aquaintences from yesteryear.i eagerly sent happy chearful messages with loving chearful joy to those who i had not seen in years.i had no idea of the completely different world i was entering.although many returned my sentiment.others unfriended me like i was a used cheeseburger wrapper while others said hello but did not accept my friendship request.my ego was bruised,but upon reflection i realized that i was playing by a different set of social rules.i was expecting what i considered common courtesy..rarely in my day to day life would i speak with someone who ignores me or openly disses or unfriends me.sorry for the typos.i couldnt find spellcheck.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:52 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I am SO glad I quit Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.