Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times

Advertisements

My phone is on silent during the night. If its that important leave a message and I'll deal with in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,768,354 times
I don't deal with them. I silence my phone and call them back in the morning if they leave a message.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,183,462 times
I don't have friends who call too late, but I've had a couple "drunk o'clock in the morning" calls from strangers, so I just turn off my phone when I go to bed.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,357,724 times
turn my phone off

Old 06-04-2013, 01:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,203,782 times
We rarely get calls late at night and we normally unplug our bedroom phone. If it is a true emergency people can call and let it ring & ring we will (eventually) hear the downstairs phone.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:48 PM

606 posts, read 904,735 times
My phone has the option to send certain callers straight to voicemail. If anyone continued to call me after hours after repeatedly being told, i'm asleep, then they would get the voicemail treatment. Never answer your phone for them after hours. Like spoiled little kids, if you give into it once, they won't learn and will call you again after hours.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,547,234 times
My FIL always calls when we are sleeping - he is in a different time zone (not just geographically, but physiologically). So we stopped answering the phone until we were awake. Sadly, we have missed emergency calls.

We now remind family to leave a message AND a text message, if it is a real emergency.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,339,899 times
Everyone is entitled to sleep and we are free to keep our own hours. Anybody who has a "problem" with inappropriate callers made their own problem by answering the phone when they didn't wish to, whether the caller is a friend, relative, co-worker, business caller, etc. JUST DON'T ANSWER when you don't want to. Ever.

The OP is annoyed only because s/he assumes a ringing phone has to be answered. There's no law that says that. The caller can leave a message. We can retrieve the message when we want to and call them back when it's convenient.

People who insist on calling at times you've asked them not to are either completely self-involved or engaged in a power play with you. No matter which, arguing about it won't solve the problem and might make it worse. Completely ignoring unwanted calls is the best way for all of us to get our peace and quiet.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 PM

415 posts, read 765,807 times
funny... years back while working 2nd shift (and still do today ) my folks who are early birds would call me early 7-8am and wake me, and say things like, YOUR'' still sleeping...and I would reply, ya Hello I get home at midnight go to bed at 1 or 2..well they still would call me early..

till one night when I got home at midnight, I thought' Hmm wonder what mom n dad are doing.. so ya I called them, and I asked my pops who finally' answered what are you 2 doing?? pfft he said sleeping... I replied, this early, I just got home and im wide awake ...soo your sleepin'' weird...

funny they never rang me early after that...

Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,398,167 times
I have had a hard time with this in the past. I am not older than dirt but I will be 40 this year and when I was growing up you did not call our house after 8pm and we didn't call you either.

All these years later I have only added 30 minutes to that time. If my phone rings after 830pm I think it should be emergent. Not everyone I know follows those same guidelines.

I can't turn my phone off, well I guess I could, but there has been one time my ex husband called me at about 2 in the am because our son was in the er. I appreciated he called and was glad he did not wait til the next day even though it wasn't a real emergency, but it was my son.

My new phone has a feature where I can allow only certain numbers to call in after whatever time but I have not set that.

I had a friend from high school that would call me around midnight......wanna go to Dennys? Oh sure I wanna go to Dennys. I worked all day and will be getting up in the morning to work again and I would love to go to Dennys.

I am too nice. I went to Dennys. Once.

My friend will text me after ten at night and I hate it! I finally did tell her about how I felt, but I gave her a 9pm time. She has done it since but prefaced it with an I'm sorry but blah blah blah. She really doesn't do it much.

I had a barista friend who would text me around 2-3am. You sleeping?

You serious?

I never wanted to hurt anyones feelings so I waited til no one had offended any time recent and posted about someone having just called me late and I really don't like calls after etc etc etc.

I have not heard a peep from my Dennys friend since around that time so I think he took offense. =/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships