Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 AM

48 posts, read 191,028 times

Advertisements

Most ppl that i know are engaged/married, or have kids. I'm 23 and still in school. I want to have my degree, and have an established life style before i have kids, or get married. Alot of ppl from high school and some from college are having babies left to right, or getting married. People always ask me that why i don't have kids, or why don't i get married. I always get weird looks when i tell them my answer. So why ppl think you are weird if you are not married or have kids by 24?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Maybe you need to move. Where I'm from, it's weird to get married and/or have kids before 25. People wonder if they're making huge mistake because they're just kids themselves. Frankly, live your life the way you want to. It's nobody else's business.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-20-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,411 times
It's not that serious. People really need to do some serious self-examination and assess their own motives for doing what they do instead of projecting onto the whole world.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Well, seeing as how the latest studies indicate that nearly 1/2 the couples under 30 have decided to co-habitate rather than marry . . . and the age of birth mothers has gone up . . . I don't know who you are spending your time with, but they are not representing the "norm" these days.

Maybe it is a regional thing? My son is 29 and only a few of his friends have married and those that have married waited til they were 27 or 28. And most are putting off children (if they have any) til their 30s.

As others have said - who cares what your contemporaries are doing. If you are not interested in settling down, you just aren't. Your business, no one else's. Trust me, they won't be around to pay the child support or alimony or attorney fees if you get married in a rush, have a few kids quickly, and then divorce in a few years, lol.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,805,417 times
My first answer was going to be becuase they are insane. But there is something to be said for geographic areas or cultures where there is more of an expectation that people marry young.
Personally - I would advise against it.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 AM

12,780 posts, read 15,001,003 times
I don't have many friends at all or even people in general I talk to on a daily basis (at work, ets.), so for me personally, no one even cares about my not being married nor having kids & I'm in my late 30s. My parents have never pressured me not once. It's just the way things have turned out in my life.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,470 times
It's the mindset of our country. Just like how people think men are gay if they're not married by a certain age.....please believe it or not some people actually value their independence and are just fine being single. And I wouldn't say it's very common for people to be married and have kids by 23. 23 is still very young and people that age are still looking for a good time. A good number have just graduated college or still in college and focusing on getting a "real" job. Most people get married these days in their late 20's early 30's or later

Old 04-20-2013, 03:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsboy701 View Post
Most ppl that i know are engaged/married, or have kids. I'm 23 and still in school. I want to have my degree, and have an established life style before i have kids, or get married. Alot of ppl from high school and some from college are having babies left to right, or getting married. People always ask me that why i don't have kids, or why don't i get married. I always get weird looks when i tell them my answer. So why ppl think you are weird if you are not married or have kids by 24?

Where I am from you would be the only one who thinks you are crazy because no one else cares what you do with your life when it comes to boyfriends, marriage or children. If you are friends they would not question that choice because they are your friend not your Mother or Mentor.

You should worry more with your studies and your goals and worry less with what others "think" about you and how you live your life. If you get weird looks all the time so what, not their business in the first place and you really do not "owe" anyone an explanation as to why you have chosen what you have.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:51 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,735,499 times
Marriage was once a covenant ceremony performed for people who were God fearing and wanted to enter a covenant before him.
The the government got involved with licensing(contracting). Besides the $$ collected for the license/contract, it allowed them a fall back person in case of the death of a debtor. Then the Lawyers got involved seeing mucho $$ in divorce contracts(contract dismissal).

Nothing wrong with two people joining together if they take the responsibility seriously.
And that comes from a committed Christian.

I guess I'll see a bunch of hate thrown at me by the right from that statement.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsboy701 View Post
I think that is ridiculous for anyone to think you are too old and should be married and with kids. You aren't even out of school yet. You need the time to finish your education, live alone, begin a career and have some time to live your life before you have the responsibilities of marriage and parenthood. I was 33 when I first got married, and 34 when I had my first child, no regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships