Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:04 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,584,507 times

Advertisements

Wow! That sounds like my person too. She can't settle for a normal life. Always has to be stirring up some drama.

Plus she is a con artist and has sucked several people for money. One old guy for hundreds of thousands. She is fraudulant in her ''business'' practices as well. Any way she can get a buck she will do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 01:16 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,432,846 times
Avoid and ignore. If no other options, smile and tell them they are right. And, even when you tell them they're right, they'll still argue and say you're wrong.

Know-it-alls have a very difficult personality.

They have a vibe of Ursala from Little Mermaid, Cruella da Ville, and Oscar the Grouch, combined with an @sshole d-bag element about them like Aston Kutcher or Nick Lachey. Makes your skin crawl.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 AM

A strong element of Narcissistic personality disorder woven in with the Borderline.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:19 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,025,508 times
Oh lord just like my aunt,, you describe her very well. Nothing else to say. She lives in Germany. she do exactly the same. But I have accidentally found a way to deal with her. When she call I answer, when she starts talk with her all theory talks, I drop the receiver not hanging up, and I do my work after 10 or 12 min I take receiver and I " oh really " "ah gosh" "oh boy " or something what ever to match with what she says that is how I deal with my aunt. I am the only one she can call just for free. So she do every single after noon if I am not at home she call on my mobile, then I drop it on recorded voices. I don't know if you have ever notice this sort of people never conscious when they start talking they have no clue if the other one listing. Sorry about you going through the same as me.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:48 AM

Yeah that is SO funny but so true. I did one time set the phone down on speaker and walked away to do chores. Came back 15 minutes later and she was still yammering away. Never missed a beat.

Somebody ought to invent a device that you can hook up or set next to your phone like that. A little recorder that mutters phrases of agreement or pity. That's all they want really.

''Exactly'', ''uh huh'', ''oh my'', ''that's awful'', ''really!!'', ''omg!''.....ETC.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:16 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,280,903 times
Yes! That! I've done that with the motor-mouth I know too, just set the phone down and go about my business, come back later, she's still blathering on. I don't know when she takes a breath! I love the recording idea

Old 08-30-2014, 07:47 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,646,833 times
Ha! Best way to deal with a know-it-all is to know more then s/he does.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:53 AM

7,331 posts, read 6,960,726 times
Some times when one acts as a sounding board, in stead of help, it back fires into becoming a constant barrage of noise, because that is their only perception of significance.

If you encourage a dog to bark by rewarding it ,somethings even ignoring it ,it is almost impossible to stop.

Addressing the problem from the very beginning sometimes helps but not permanently .

Though it is assumed that women had better communications skills ,I think that value has diminished significantly in the last decade or two.

A great many things are responsible ,mostly fantasy in books and movies ,and the advise of other women.

Notice how few women can think for them self ?

They ( great many it seems ) don't even know who they are , they can't tell you what they believe, till you tell/answer them what you believe.

Some , rather than tell you what the really believe, tell you either what they think you want to hear, or find the opposite approach just for controversy, or to see how you will react .
It's a manipulation.

I have met only a few that will tell me what they really believe , not to be controversial but because they really do know them self, from an honest evaluation. Or as honest as they can for that matter.

Though I may disagree with certain issues, I have the greater respect for them.

What's scary is a woman the agrees with every thing I say , then the red flags go up .

I have been the sounding board for a few women , not a yes man ,merely to offer perspective from the evidence presented.
I have also refused to be a sounding board to some that are not really interested in bettering their situation.
Kind of like the video with a man and woman talking and she is complaining about the pain in her head which is a nail, but she does not want it fixed , it is all her ploy of sympathy for her problem . If you remove the problem sympathy may also be removed.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,298,688 times
I would just quit answering her calls. Or, if that is impossible......make a deal with yourself....on the days when you feel that you have extra energy and time, answer her calls.....and don't other times.
Dealing with someone who makes you feel like they are sucking the air out of you is not something that you have to do. So, quit volunteering.
Avoidance is not the best coping skill, but it sounds necessary in this situation for your own mental health. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships