Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM

571 posts, read 1,202,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
When I was heavier, other women were nicer to me. Now that I've lost the weight, I have noticed that I get dirty looks from women pretty often.
That's absolutely horrible. That's why women tend to run in circles with women that are their "equal". It lessens the jealousy.

Very sad that it's this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,238,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
At the fundamental core of it all--it is competition. Don't take it so personally. In fact, I think you'll find it's much easier to let this slide off your back when you understand and think about it differently. You see, we are not unlike animals who are territorial, vying for mates when we are in our child-bearing years, and securing resources to raise our offspring (food/shelter/etc.). Men behave similarly for the same reasons. But instead of so much name calling and catty behavior, they posture like peacocks, butt heads like billy goats, and chest thump like gorillas. (Do you see what I mean?) Women do these things too, but in slightly different ways. Name calling is one of them. We sting with our tongues whereas a man uses his body. We can learn a lot about ourselves if we just observe nature. For me, I just laugh at such things now...
I think this is in large part correct.

I hear a lot about how woman hate each other but honestly haven't experienced it or seen it that much.
I think like many things people like to take the few behaving badly and get all wound up as if that is common behavior....talking about women and how they hate each other is its own juicy nastiness
and its I think over reported.

I like women. For general easy conversation and a fun time talking in social conversation, I have more to talk about with men. But for deeper relationships (non-sexual) I prefer women.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,166,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I think it's how they were raised. Some women teach their daughters that the "enemy" is other women. I have seen it in action.
Oh yes, I have seen this in action too. Do you know my in-laws? My MIL is very catty and she raised her daughters to be the same. Now that my SIL's have daughters I see a new generation of it. ack. My one 10 yr old niece already thinks she is better than me. I do feel the main components are insecurity and jealousy though. After years of studying my in-laws I see they get fired up about stuff that they would like to have or do. It is acceptable in their little world to just hate the other person. They do complain about men but there is definitely more venom towards women.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Women do seem very critical and judgemental of other women, what she wears.etc, I don't get why they're so damn interested, to be honest. Of course many aren't like that.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,583,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sounds like a classy crowd you hang out with. Where do you meet women like this? Too much drama.
The answer to the question is that "women" don't act like that.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,222,039 times
I confess! I think Kim Kardashian is a waste of carbon matter. Hate is a strong word, but the whole "famous for being famous" thing is absurd. Go save a life, build an orphanage, discover a cure, give until it hurts, and then I'll consider how great you are--man or woman. Serve a purpose other than self-indulgent excess, and then I'll respect you. Maybe. If you aren't self-promotional about it.

Anyway, I don't think the phenomenon of hatred of one's own gender is unique to women. Men do it, too. They'll question the sexuality of men who are better-looking or better-groomed than they are. On the Relationships board, a cadre like to try to insult men who are married, in relationships, or agree with women by calling them "white knights," when those men are really not. It's a gross exaggeration akin to women calling women who get along with men sexual epithets.

Overall, I think it's human nature for the insecure to lash out. I'm not saying that it's right. Just that it's what insecure people do.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,342,293 times
I'm disappointed to see so few people disagree with the basic premise of this discussion. I've never called anyone I know a name like that and I never would. I'd say the OP's friends might be watching too many reality TV programs. There's no doubt about it that those programs like Real Housewives encourage and glamorize women acting out in crude ways. But all reality shows heighten ridiculous, manufactured drama. Do you really think getting your car towed always ends in fisticuffs?

I think women might appear to be more critical than men in that women tend to put more store in interpersonal relationships than men do. Women watch behavior (of men and children, as well as other women) and draw conclusions about it. Ask a man if he noticed that the couple you're eating dinner with appeared to be cool with each other and he'll say, "Huh?" A woman will not only notice, but waste brain power wondering why.

Men seem to take each other on a superficial level more easily. They don't worry about whether or not they like someone, let alone articulate it. I think men are generally, with each other at least, are also more willing to forgive and forget. Men can have terrible ugly arguments and a week later they are golfing together as if nothing had ever happened. Women tend to internalize events like that more. But if a man is mad enough at another man, he won't INternalize it, he'll EXternalize it.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,559,160 times
I don't agree never see it oO. I mean teens yeah, but grown ass women nope. Either that or I turn a blind eye to such things....

Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,965,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
Hate them so much that they will call them every name in the but a child of God. Whores, ****, ugly, dirty, all kinds of mean things.

What causes such hate from another human to another??? One thing I noticed is that it usually stem from another man. If one woman has an advantage at meeting more men than the other, she gets hated for it, but I don't see men acting like this.

Example, Kim Kardashian, alot of women are promiscuous like Kim, but yet they hate her being that way.

What say you?
I don't have much input regarding the woman aspect.
But please don't underestimate how much and what ends men go to in similiar scenerios.
Men will literally fight, manipulate, lie, cheat, steal, back stab, and any combination of such when it comes to chasing a woman another guy has a chance with.

Guys usually just do things that people say "wtf?", but many times it is an indirect way at beating on their chest or being the peacock.

Guys are incredibly rude to each other, but most of the time, other people, including other guys, often don't see/ understand the situation.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,845,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I think it's how they were raised. Some women teach their daughters that the "enemy" is other women. I have seen it in action.
Some women teach their daughters that by being their first enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships