Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 AM

601 posts, read 759,533 times

Advertisements

Are friendships really any different than relationships..it almost seems to some that friendships are the exception. From what ive learned up to this point in my life..theyre really not..both withstand test after test after test..at some point you eventually outgrow them too...this picture seems to say a lot about the point ive reached in my life with most of my long term friends..I love them..but maybe theres something better waiting for all of us..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 AM

23 posts, read 20,929 times
Yes I have learned this from painful experience, friends are different from relationships. You can have the closest relationship with another person emotionally, be their soulmate, but a relationship is ultimately about the sex. When the sex fades, you look for another relationship, with another person who you find have sex appeal. Which is more satisfying to you depends on how badly you want/need the sex or not. Many people find it perfectly cool to have great friendships that last forever. One thing's for sure, friendships usually have a longer shelf life than relationships - until you find that perfect person where the sexual and physical attraction is so great that you are with them long enough to develop emotional bonds as well. Then that trumps everything - the panacea we are all searching for.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 AM

196 posts, read 232,056 times
I don't know if I agree sex is what defines a relationship. I think the main difference is feelings. You will not feel the same love towards friends that you do a partner. Yes, usually with love comes intimate physical feelings, but love is emotionally a deeper feeling than just a friendship.

I think FWB would not exist if sex is what defined a relationship.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 AM

23 posts, read 20,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzy View Post
I don't know if I agree sex is what defines a relationship. I think the main difference is feelings. You will not feel the same love towards friends that you do a partner. Yes, usually with love comes intimate physical feelings, but love is emotionally a deeper feeling than just a friendship.

I think FWB would not exist if sex is what defined a relationship.
I agree that a relationship is not only about the sex - obviously there has to be some kind of emotional compatibility, because otherwise what you have is FWB or one night stands or short term relationships that fizzle out when the sex gets stale. But you CANNOT have a relationship without the sex. I would go so far as to argue that the sex is what really drives a relationship, as you said it's what drives those intimate feelings towards someone you have exchanged bodily fluids with or coaxed an orgasm out of. The emotional side is what makes it stand the test of time, but without that physical attraction it's just friendship, which is a lower level of relationship than a physical relationship. A friend is someone you like but don't want to have sex with - a relationship partner is someone you like AND want to have sex with.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,695,547 times
I feel this way in a sense that my friendship and relationship where I don't really rank them above one another but just together.

Like I love my friends, my other , my family thats all love different kinds of love but I don't try to out rank them in terms of importance if that makes sense.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM

701 posts, read 1,564,873 times
Friendships are platonic relationships. What separates a "friendship" from a "relationship", i.e. dating, love, sex are the feelings that you have towards that person. I love my best friend, but I do not love my best friend the same way she loves her fiancée and vice versa. That being said, I don't believe a romantic relationship can last without friendship. You gotta like that person outside of the bedroom.

I would also disagree that relationships are centered sex. For sexual people, it is an important component but for people who are not, their romantic relationship does not need it. I mean, think about it, while I'm sure some elderly people are still getting some kicks in their old age, sex is not the reason some marriages are lasting 30, 40, 50 years (even longer). It's love and dedication that's keeping them together, and often you'll hear of married people saying that their s/o is their best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships