Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM

460 posts, read 981,975 times

Advertisements

Quite a few people in the news media and in evangelical churches decry the decline in our moral compass. More crime, selfishness and more animosity all around. My theory is more nuanced- good people are getting better in a virtuous cycle while bad people are stuck in a vicious cycle downward. This argument about the decline of an entire society smacks of sensationalism.

Thoughts?

Last edited by AngusHsu; 06-29-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 AM

224 posts, read 828,229 times
Yeah I hear this on the news too. But the next day they will say how the crime rate is going down...though you'd swear it was going up with all the air time the media gives to what is suppose to be an epidemic of thievery of scrap metal ie: copper wires out of houses, manhole covers, holdups at pharmacies over painkillers, meth labs, all the murders & rapes, even cops getting arrested for such, several church elders arrested for pedophilia and city officials arrested for embezzlement. Because the media only talks about the bad it makes it sound like the whole country is going to hell in a handbasket. And I have had several scary instances of strangers threatening me in town so it seems scary. But then they said the crime rates are declining. I still meet about as many nice people as meanies. Even though they say today's youth are pure evil I have met several young lads this summer alone who spoke with such respect and friendliness it renewed my faith in the future. Its hard to not be steered by the media, but gosh darn it I don't think the world is all bad because I see some positive things I've not seen before in my lifetime becoming more prevalent like people being friendly to others of different races, religions, gender preferences and society taking a stand against bullying when nobody said or did one thing against it when I was a kid growing up. Its really hard not to get down about the state of things, but some of it I think is actually getting better!

Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I think there are an equal number of good and bad people, although thankfully ignorance and brutality isn't quite AS widespread as in the past. I don't buy for a second that the 1950s or earlier were some sort of 'utopia.' Not that things are all hunky dory now, some things are worse, but all in all, many who decry the 'decline of civilisation' should try living in the Middle Ages.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Most "news medias" and "evangelical" churches ARE to blame for declines in moralities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships