Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM

511 posts, read 2,452,549 times

Advertisements

How well do you really know your close friends? And how well do they know you?

It is amazing to me how self absorbed most of the people I feel close to are. Really they are not all that curious about me. Most rarely ask me much about my work, my family, my other friends, my hopes, my dreams, my goals and aspirations. When I try to bring up subjects that would tell them more about me it appears they are really not that interested. Instead, they are more interested in what I think about the new TV shows, my bowling outing last night, the weather and other chit chat topics.

Rarely do even close friends want to know about me and they think it is strange when I want to know much about them.

Do I have an odd group of friends, or is the chit chat mode the most common form of communication among friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,125,811 times
Get new friends, problem solved. If your so-called friends aren't interested in the details of your life, cut them loose and invest in people you're going to click with

Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,402,957 times
I'll say I know them very well and they know me very well too. We're like brothers and sisters, haha...Well I think these days brothers and sisters aren't even this close.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Get new friends, problem solved. If your so-called friends aren't interested in the details of your life, cut them loose and invest in people you're going to click with
That is good advice in theory but over the years and after interacting with many friends I find few people are all that interesting in me and think it is strange when I show an interest in them beyond the chit chat level. These are people I spend lots of time with. I have never had friends who wanted anything beyond chit chat. I have always wanted to know about my friends and get to know them as people, not just chit chat partners.

Last edited by Workaholic?; 11-04-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM

936 posts, read 2,062,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post

It is amazing to me how self absorbed most of the people I feel close to are. Really they are not all that curious about me. Most rarely ask me much about my work, my family, my other friends, my hopes, my dreams, my goals and aspirations. When I try to bring up subjects that would tell them more about me it appears they are really not that interested. Instead, they are more interested in what I think about the new TV shows, my bowling outing last night, the weather and other chit chat topics.

Rarely do even close friends want to know about me and they think it is strange when I want to know much about them.

Do I have an odd group of friends, or is the chit chat mode the most common form of communication among friends?
I don't know your friends, so I can't say if they're odd.

Why do you think they don't ask about what's going on in your life? Do you tend to volunteer it before they ask? Are you in pretty frequent contact?

On balance, how much interest do you show in getting to know them? Is it possible that they think you're self-absorbed and only want to talk about yourself?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:39 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,580,749 times
Quote:

Depends on what you consider odd. Sounds like the normal day to day friends and associates discussions. Most of people you consider "friends" don't give a hoot about your goals and aspirations, its more common than you'd think. Things such as fb and who you're seeing and your social life are so much more important. You're not on the same wave length. Not all friendships will deepen into personal, meaningful dialogue

Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,255,294 times
Quote:

I think it is very telling that you feel close to people who, in your words, are self absorbed and not curious about you.

Second, I'm going to guess that you have a burning desire to share the most intimate details of your life with everybody, and it just annoys you to pieces that no one "cares". You are probably smart enough to understand that if you just blurt things out about yourself you will seem self-centered. Yet, this is all about you, not them. Sounds narcissistic to me.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 AM

You have figured me out. I think everyone I meet owes me an obligation to hear my deepest thoughts and my hopes and dreams! If they don't they are self absorbed. I should keep all my conversations at the tidbit and chit chat level at all times even with people I have known for years. Ya Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I think it is very telling that you feel close to people who, in your words, are self absorbed and not curious about you.

Second, I'm going to guess that you have a burning desire to share the most intimate details of your life with everybody, and it just annoys you to pieces that no one "cares". You are probably smart enough to understand that if you just blurt things out about yourself you will seem self-centered. Yet, this is all about you, not them. Sounds narcissistic to me.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:23 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
How well do you really know anyone? At best, you can hope to know one or two people to that degree.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:36 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,901 times
We know each other quite well.

e: But that's like two or three people at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships