Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 06:36 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,276,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Most good COL calculators use goods and property priced in their local markets. I don't doubt you have run across misinformation on web sites for taxes and housing prices, but that's not generally true of every resource.
Taxes are really the only local differance left. Most everything else costs the same.

I can walk in to a Walmart in Florida and pick up a half gallon of milk bottled right up the road from me. For the exact same price. And I can pick up a bottle of Indian river orange juice here in Oneida that's bottled right up the road from the Florida walmart for the same price.

I can spec out a house and take the materials list to the oneida lowes or the Largo Fl Lowes and the price will be the same.

Taxes make NY expensive. Everything else is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 06:44 PM

93,655 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Taxes are really the only local differance left. Most everything else costs the same.

I can walk in to a Walmart in Florida and pick up a half gallon of milk bottled right up the road from me. For the exact same price. And I can pick up a bottle of Indian river orange juice here in Oneida that's bottled right up the road from the Florida walmart for the same price.

I can spec out a house and take the materials list to the oneida lowes or the Largo Fl Lowes and the price will be the same.

Taxes make NY expensive. Everything else is the same.
How is everything else the same?

Old 12-29-2014, 06:50 PM

19,275 posts, read 17,147,017 times
Quote:
And if you can't make the higher wage such as in lower wage jobs, you are screwed. Using this argument NYC should be so cheap to live in because of how much wage inflation there is. But again, you seem to be missing the point. Everybody's situation is different. The south is not cut and dry cheaper to live in and focusing on one facet such as taxes to try and prove your point is a s serious logical flaw.
This is your reference not mine but while I was away I decided to examine the condo example that you said " a way to get equivalently low taxes for home ownership in Rochester. I gave you an example where you can pay the same taxes here and have a home that would be thousands to hundreds of thousands less than to have the same house in other states." This was for The Reserve that I guess is going to be built because I have not found any active listings yet but using the link you provided I found their Facebook page and on there was a flier:

This flier is really good because it shows that the condo has a significantly lower property tax than a regular home just as you said so BZ on that! I figured let me go ahead and see how the tax cost works out and realize that no HOA fee was shown so lets assume $100 a month maybe more / maybe less who knows.

The $295k price of the condo has a monthly tax obligation of $475 per month or $5700 a year that translate to a tax rate of $19.30/$1k assessed

The $225k home outside this community is burdened with a tax obligation of $764 per month or $11,604 a year (ouch!) that's a tax rate of $51.57/$1K assessed

Tax rates are available at Tax Tables | Monroe County, NY

Obviously as you said there is significant saving living in a town house/condo because of the way the laws are written up there. I decided to look here and found construction similar to what I think they are showing in the brochure for $244,900 Odessa - The Townes at Hunton Park by Ryan Homes is For Sale - Zillow except when comparing this to a single family home the taxes comes out the same each time $2130.63.....

Side note: I really want to commend Monroe County for finding the most variables to tax a resident on..

Last edited by VA Yankee; 12-29-2014 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 07:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,276,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
How is everything else the same?
For me and everyone I've ever known or will know it's the same. For you it maybe different.

Everything comes from chain stores or the inner web. Jeans cost the same. A Dewalt drill costs the same. My cell phone is the same price anywhere in the US. A house costs the same to build anywhere in the US. It's all the same.

Except the things they got us on. That would be taxes. It is expensive to live in NY.

If someone stomps there feet and says they love NY and will pay whatever it takes then that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. To compare NY on money is silly.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
For me and everyone I've ever known or will know it's the same. For you it maybe different.

Everything comes from chain stores or the inner web. Jeans cost the same. A Dewalt drill costs the same. My cell phone is the same price anywhere in the US. A house costs the same to build anywhere in the US. It's all the same.

Except the things they got us on. That would be taxes. It is expensive to live in NY.

If someone stomps there feet and says they love NY and will pay whatever it takes then that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. To compare NY on money is silly.
Can you explain this: http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf
Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

Old 12-29-2014, 08:54 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,932 times
By your own sources, it says that Raleigh and Durham-Chapel Hill are both cheaper than Rochester and Syracuse. What's the point in arguing with people when you are just going to post articles that disprove what your are relentlessly debating on here?

Old 12-29-2014, 09:31 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
This is your reference not mine but while I was away I decided to examine the condo example that you said " a way to get equivalently low taxes for home ownership in Rochester. I gave you an example where you can pay the same taxes here and have a home that would be thousands to hundreds of thousands less than to have the same house in other states." This was for The Reserve that I guess is going to be built because I have not found any active listings yet but using the link you provided I found their Facebook page and on there was a flier:

This flier is really good because it shows that the condo has a significantly lower property tax than a regular home just as you said so BZ on that! I figured let me go ahead and see how the tax cost works out and realize that no HOA fee was shown so lets assume $100 a month maybe more / maybe less who knows.

The $295k price of the condo has a monthly tax obligation of $475 per month or $5700 a year that translate to a tax rate of $19.30/$1k assessed

The $225k home outside this community is burdened with a tax obligation of $764 per month or $11,604 a year (ouch!) that's a tax rate of $51.57/$1K assessed

Obviously as you said there is significant saving living in a town house/condo because of the way the laws are written up there. I decided to look here and found construction similar to what I think they are showing in the brochure for $244,900 Odessa - The Townes at Hunton Park by Ryan Homes is For Sale - Zillow except when comparing this to a single family home the taxes comes out the same each time $2130.63.....

Side note: I really want to commend Monroe County for finding the most variables to tax a resident on..
Holy crap! You ain't kidding. Lighting districts, sidewalk districts, fire district, water district, sewer district. They figured out everything.

Great analysis, BTW.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:05 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,330,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

Your "similar" condo is similar except for location. The reserve is in a first ring suburb in Rochester with fantastic schools and right on the canal and right outside the city. So you get the best of both worlds of being in a suburb and also a very urban feel. Brighton does have high taxes compared to many towns in the area but is also a very desirable town to live in.

I'll say it again, there are many ways to skin a cat. The reserve townhomes are one way of skinning it and living in a fantastic location and lowering your taxes at the same time.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
By your own sources, it says that Raleigh and Durham-Chapel Hill are both cheaper than Rochester and Syracuse. What's the point in arguing with people when you are just going to post articles that disprove what your are relentlessly debating on here?
Barely and it is for goods and services. Check out the source. I was talking about FL, by the way. So, we're not talking about NC. Let it go.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:58 AM

19,275 posts, read 17,147,017 times
Quote:
Your "similar" condo is similar except for location. The reserve is in a first ring suburb in Rochester with fantastic schools and right on the canal and right outside the city. So you get the best of both worlds of being in a suburb and also a very urban feel. Brighton does have high taxes compared to many towns in the area but is also a very desirable town to live in.

I'll say it again, there are many ways to skin a cat. The reserve townhomes are one way of skinning it and living in a fantastic location and lowering your taxes at the same time.
I don't consider the 15 minute ride or less on a local road to Richmond to be a stretch for anybody. Our schools are also fantastic, extensive shopping 5 minutes away, bordered by woods and the Chickahominy River. I will concede that we don't have a canal running through the county but we have waterfront locations on the James River which leads to Chesapeake Bay and beyond for those that want it and that's just our county not going 3 counties over.

I will agree that the Reserve does allow a lower tax obligation than it's surrounding community but "skin a cat" as you put it I think it falls short. It's your governments mindset that is out of control, read the county tax page it's ridicules. I am surprised they are not being charged a view tax because they have the potential to see water......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York