Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 11:25 AM

7 posts, read 43,390 times

Advertisements

I have skimmed several threads on this board and found a host of people who would rather live upstate than anywhere on the planet. I spent a year and a half in Rochester and loved it, despite the weather. I currently live in Charlotte, North Carolina (it’s bloody horrible here) and have family across the St. Lawrence River in Morrisburg, with dozens more in Ottawa (I married a Canadian).

Most defenders of the Upstate seem to claim the taxes are “high, but you get what you pay for.” I have read that the taxes “really aren’t THAT high, when compared to the housing costs.” I have read that the taxes are “put to good use, and it’s worth it.”

Here in Charlotte, my taxes hit at exactly .01275%. The homes are taxed not on sales price, but on estimated worth, and my 2700 square foot, 7 month old, $270,000 house was appraised at $191,000. My taxes will be $2,300 this year.

I’m finding lovely homes on realtor sites in Plattsburgh for roughly the same rate - $210,000 for a 2100 square footer I was particularly fond of, or roughly $100 a square foot. We’ve wondered what that would mean tax-wise.

According to the tax assessor’s office, Plattsburgh has a .0765 tax rate. On a $200,000 home, that’s $15,300.

Really? Is living in Plattsburgh worth about a thousand a month in property taxes? If I moved my home up there, I would be paying $2700-plus monthly, mortgage and taxes. Right now I can do it for right about $1,900. Am I missing something?

Flipside – being an “outsider” living in The South is no picnic. I don’t attend church, therefore I am viewed a heathen/pagan/sinner. I lived most of my life in California, therefore I am considered a sociopath, psychotic, and probably gay - maybe a hermaphrodite, definitely weird (Ayup. Y’all know them Cal-ee-fornians is a buncha freaks). I was born in Cleveland, therefore I am a d@mn Yankee and an evil sonofa****** who participated personally in the war of northern aggression and ruined everything. I feel about as welcome here as Mike Tyson at a ballet. And don’t get me started on Nascar.

And for all this, the schools are terrible, dangerous, and among the worst in the nation. The roads are littered, so narrow you can’t sneeze without taking out a string of mailboxes, and hey, let’s face it: if you see a GOOD reason to fly the confederate flag, you belong here. I don’t.

Sorry. I’m whining.

Tell me, folks: is it really worth it? Comment is invited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 PM

160 posts, read 565,103 times
Default Star

New York property taxes are high, but are not what they seem. There is a program called STAR that gives property taxpayers a break on their assessments. Here is a link to STAR info for Clinton County:

http://www.orps.state.ny.us/star/ex/index.htm (broken link)

Takes some of the sting out of the tax bill.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:07 PM

518 posts, read 2,015,057 times
Post Lived in both north and south.......

Yes, there is a STAR program and yes, it is definitely worth it. I also at one time was considered a heathen who had to put up with metal detectors in most of the schools. Bottom line: what most of us parents "saved" in taxes was more than made up for eventually sending one child to a private school......which is something you will NEVER have to do up here. Also, we would spend 45 minutes each morning commuting and longer in the afternoon, so that is time lost from your family that you can never recoup over the years......Traffic also tends to be a mood deteriorator so that by the time you actually get to work/home, wherever, you need another 30 minutes just to be able to relax (with family after the commute). No way to live in my opinion...... And children get such a great childhood here.......seasons with apple picking, fall, winter sports and teams and summers that are glorious....which of course, in my opinion is.....priceless. There is a real sense of pride and community since parks, streets and highways are truly clean and areas are well policed and people actually let you live your life your way, but are friendly and community oriented with a real sense of civic pride who will help you if your car breaks down without robbing you first....... I could go on and on, but it is late and I am tired.....Went hiking in the Adirondacks this weekend. What did your family do? Also remember that life is short and if you aren't happy there, there are plenty of places where you can be content! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York