Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 PM

33 posts, read 152,303 times

Advertisements

Still looking for towns for my son (7) and I to relocate to. Anyone know anything about Cold Spring in Putnam County? School district sounds good, but I can't find any other info. Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 12:54 PM

348 posts, read 1,364,372 times
Quaint, artsy village. On the metro north train line. Schools are good. Real estate a little more then Dutchess County (1 county north).

It's a great little village. Antiques galore.
Try this -
http://www.coldspring.com/

Old 05-09-2007, 01:06 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,925,033 times
Wow..you have posted on alot of areas in NY....all the areas in cold spring are expensive..anything in the hudson valley will be expensive...What specifically is your price range, and line of work..maybe that will help us guiding you.

You dont want to be too out in the boonies with a 7 year old..it can isolating I think?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:28 PM

Unfortunately due to money issue, I'm limited to areas with mobile home parks or affordable rentals.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:34 PM

10 posts, read 35,475 times
Wink I'm with Barefoot 14

Hey you guys alway have great responses. Thank you for all your help. I'm barefoot's neighbor. We live in a mobile home park in Syosset. I have a three bedroom mobile home and a lot rent of 565. I have a son with cerebral palsy and also a daughter with special learning needs. My husband is a tow operator, and can also do carpentry. Right now I have a Master's degree in Accounting, but am a stay at home mom. This limits us to how much we can afford, but the kids also need a good school. We got spoiled here. We are an 80 home mobile home park amist million dollar mansions. Luckily our kids get the schools and we can raise them the way would like to - after school activities, special camp etc. Sad to say a developer bought our park and is going to put condos here. That leaves 80 families, like barefoot, along with elderly, divorced, starter families, disabled etc. homeless. We have teachers hear, a firechief, undercover cops, you name it. I really feel bad for the ladies in back of me. They are up there in the years- a mom and daugher. 60 something daugher has three jobs to live here and will now lose everything. My home is worth about 95,000. Barefoot's is 125,000. We have no where to go. That's why anything helps!!!
Thank you alll and God Bless.
~Tday

Old 05-15-2007, 07:13 AM

Have you guys considered pawling and dover? Schools are not bad from what I have heard...very quaint....and about 30 minutes from danbury....Or the other other option is perhaps syracuse, or farther upstate....and if I may be so bold to ask (only because dutchess county is really the westchester as far as pricing)...

Why not consider moving south? You may be able to get into a nice condo or something....the carolinas, georgia? I feel for you as well....Its tough gang....everyone is prices out..I honestly have to say the developers and the towns that are building up..dutchess included..the mobile parks are the first to go...then vacant land...I think its for aesthetic (sp?) reasons...unfortunately, they forget that people live there too....farms are for sale..and while I personally welcome development....it would be nice to give the dislocated families some options....JMHO?

Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 AM

Unhappy RE: Going South

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Have you guys considered pawling and dover? Schools are not bad from what I have heard...very quaint....and about 30 minutes from danbury....Or the other other option is perhaps syracuse, or farther upstate....and if I may be so bold to ask (only because dutchess county is really the westchester as far as pricing)...

Why not consider moving south? You may be able to get into a nice condo or something....the carolinas, georgia? I feel for you as well....Its tough gang....everyone is prices out..I honestly have to say the developers and the towns that are building up..dutchess included..the mobile parks are the first to go...then vacant land...I think its for aesthetic (sp?) reasons...unfortunately, they forget that people live there too....farms are for sale..and while I personally welcome development....it would be nice to give the dislocated families some options....JMHO?
I was looking into going south and found some really nice communities in NC, but found that I would loose all my NYS disability (my only income right now) if I go out of state. My hands are kind of tied. Like my neighbor Tlwalch stated, we live in a really wonderful town with 2.3 million dolar homes being built across the street (and we wonder why someone bought the land?), everything is within 1 mile (shopping, LIRR, LIE) and the school district is top 5 in NYS. We don't want to leave, but are going to have to. Unfortunately, there is no law in NYS that says the developer has to compensate us for our homes. This means 75-80 families walking away from their homes without one penny for them, trying to find somewhere to live and only having whatever money they have saved to fall back on. I bought my home 2 years ago for 85000 (still owe about 80% of it) and have put over 15000 into it, planning on staying here a long time. My disability covers just enough week to week. How can I finance another home? I can't carry two mortgages. Let me tell you it STINKS! That's why I've been on here so much asking about towns, I really need to find somewhere safe, affordable and with a good school district. Sorry to ramble on, but this whole situation has me really frazzled.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:30 PM

Well then my vote would be for dover or wingdale..the schools are "okay"...not bad, not good...really middle of the line...There is a lovely town in orange county I believe called minisink....they RAVE about the schools there...and if commuting isnt an issue....take a looksie..its too far for us..but have heard nice things...or perhaps look into towns as close to the PA border as you can get...prices will go down
Or go further upstate...albany, lake george area? There are mobile parks that I do see..but very few..at least in the area we live in.

I did come across this website that may help though.

http://www.mhvillage.com/

Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 PM

TO mom2gurls- Thanks so much for all your posts and info. Am still keeping my fingers crossed that we do not get our 6 month notice anytime soon, but i keep a file of all the info I receive so that when the time comes I'll know (hopefully) where to go. Thanks again and God Bless.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,522 times
Default cold spring putnam county

just read your thread about needing to relocate. moved from L.I. 10 years ago to cold spring when prices cheaper. took time adjusting to rural area and though always thought we'd move back to LI, would never now. cold spring is part of philipstown which encompasses the villages of cold spring and nelsonville, and the hamlets of garrison, manitou, north highlands and i think continental village.cold spring and nelsonville are basically the town itself which is one long main street that ends at the Hudson River which is where the metro north train runs into the city. takes 1 hr. 15 mins.and is a beautiful ride as it goes along the river. many commuters into NYC. North highlands is the outlyling area where there are at least 3 mobile home parks - one i know the name of - Post Road Mobile Home park. they're all located on Route 9 which is 2 miles from the center of town. Rte. 9D runs no./so. along the river and is parallel to Rte. 9. Garrison and manitou are south of these 3 areas and doesn't have a real town center -mostly rural. former governor pataki lives there. Children from garrison/manitou have their own elementary school but no high school so transfer to Haldane school which is located in the town of cold spring or a school on other side of river near West Point. classes at haldane are around 60 per grade - very small - which has advantages. garrison was traditionally very white collar and cold spring and others more blue collar. has changed a bit in recent years with many from, LI, NYC moving up here as more affordable than places like westchester. has driven home and rental prices up. a great place to raise children. 2 full time daycare centers, 2 half day daycares. Recreation center located in garrison which has a large summer program and after school program. little league, pop warner football, soccer, and basketball programs. although sports facilities at Haldane can be limited as no track, gymnastics as building is small, although new high school just built 2 years ago. tons of environmental programs, hiking, kayaking, fishing, camping, etc. Streams and ponds everywhere and Fahnstock State park borders the whole area so kids get a great education in areas other than just their schooling.

continental village borders on garrison and Putnam Valley. think it's mostly smaller homes/more affordable as most were summer lakeside homes years ago. think children there go to Lakeland School District but some homes there may be in Haldane school district.

best place to find rentals without paying broker's fee is the local newspaper here called the Putnam County News and Recorder (PCNR) or the Yorktown Pennysaver. but for mobile home parks may need to find name of park and contact directly for rentals. maybe post road park can give you contact information for other parks. don't have their number though.

other options are putnam valley which might be more affordable. it's part of putnam county but on the northern border of westchester. has no real town center but nearby on route 6 are all the shopping malls. new high school built just a few years ago which is amazing - huge astro turf football field, etc. Most there use garrison or peekskill train station if need to get to city.Nearby is Peekskill but some very poor areas believe crime stats not so good.

just north of philipstown is dutchess county and there are towns of Beacon and Fishkill which are much larger school districts. Beacon has more affordable homes but is much like peekskill - some dicey areas . fishkill has some mobile home parks and lots of suburban developments with sidewalks, apartment units. both of those areas use beacon train station which is very difficult to get parking for if commuting to NYC. for rentals here there are the Poughkeepsie Journal and dutchess county news, or whatever pennysaver edition covers western dutchess county.

hope some of this information on the western side of putnam county can help you in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York