Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,762 times

Advertisements

Over this weekend we drove to visit New Paltz and the college and camped at Mills-Norrie State Park.............in or near Staatsburg.....

The Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR Mansion sites were mobbed and we didn't have time to see much at all. There is a great path down by the Hudson River at the campgrounds and we looked across the river (east bank) and saw this massive grey non-ornamental looking building and it looked like it might be West Point, but got back to maps, etc..........and West Point is a long way south!

Does anyone out there know what we were looking at? On the maps, it looks like it is near or on Pell Road.........if that helps at all......It stuck out like crazy because it was so huge and built of grey stone with some curved areas on the roof (so it didn't look like a prison or hospital.........too nice a building) Thanks..............really neat area to explore without all the holiday traffic. The leaves were gorgeous..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Default Church Monestary ..?

P.B. Years ago use a few mtn bikes on those paths close to water . I believe a few of the larger buildings on the west side are different church retreats / monestarys. ?
. If asking on the East side, there is a MILLS mansion close to you . or even another hill top bldg that at one time was Bob Guiconni (PentHouse Mag) publisher I believe.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Thumbs up Thanks a bunch!

It is a HUGE, lengthy dark grey stone building with no ornamentation, but a sort of scallopped roofline on the EAST side of the river just across from the hiking/bike trail and that campgrounds that takes up a huge part of the riverbank up on the hilltop .............

I know it is NOT the Mills Mansion, Vanderbilt or FDR places......those are all on the WEST side and very well labeled on every single map that I have checked.....and also look like homes......this building just looks sort of imposing, old, and sort of creepy.

So your idea of some sort of monastery is a good one! When we got home I thought it would be so easy just to find out what it was because it is sooooooo imposing looking and impossible to miss when you look all along that entire stretch of the Hudson riverbank.............

Even looking for miles and miles across to that side of the river it is all you see, so I thought it would so easy to find out what it is.........now it's bugging me that noone knows what it is......Thanks for writing....somebody must know what it is though with all the boating activity and marina down at that area. Tons of local boaters were going past us the entire weekend......what's that saying 'curiosity killed the cat'? Meow

Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 AM

136 posts, read 778,445 times
Could it be this:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Talking You are wonderful!

Thank you, thank you. I can sleep now......................It wasn't the particular monastery that you named, but it was one of the other photos you
displayed!

It was the Mt St Alphonsus Summer Retreat Home and if you check out that particular photo it is all creepy-looking and especially so the day we were there......The sun was directly behind the buildings, and it looked even darker in silouette (sp????) so the roofline looked like something out of Dark Shadows or Transylvania........Also I never realized how many monasteries were/are in that area......Were they all placed there about the same time, I wonder? There must be very little taxable land in that particular county what with all the monasteries, federal and state tourist mansions, historic sites, state parks, etc..........?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York