Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 PM

94 posts, read 330,806 times

Advertisements

Poughkeepsie is a dump and known to be a drug hub. In the New York area, you are looking at SUNY at New Paltz (often compared to Boulder, CO or Burlington, VT) and Bard near Rhinebeck. One other possibility is Skidmore in Saratoga Springs but that's a bit of a hike. Other options take you into Mass., such as Andover and Williams and places like that which are about 3-4 hours from New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 PM

523 posts, read 1,681,731 times
Thumbs up New Paltz

Count this as a vote for New Paltz. A "bit" further from JFK than you'd like, but is just off of Interstate 87 (NY State Thruway), so it's accessible to NYC as well as Albany and New England.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:23 PM

136 posts, read 778,778 times
As for Poughkeepsie, If you teach at Marist or Vassar, you wouldn't be downtown or in bad areas, and you would live out in one of the Poughkeepsie suburbs, perhaps to the East (for Vasar) or North (for Marist).

Bard is located in a nice area -- Barrytown/Red Hook, not far from Rhinebeck (where I am).

If you're looking for a smaller town, there's a college in Delhi (Delaware County), and you could really live out in the country, perhaps in Bovina, Andes, DeLancey, etc.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,874,432 times
New Paltz is not that charming though is it? I find it to be a little grungy but I am not sure. I mean it has some interesting places but it is more college townie than cute and charming? I mean the downtown is pretty hussly but mostly college kids looking for cheap food or cheap beer. We do seem to like the feel of the "Rondout" valley.

Into the city a few times a week... that is a lot though. He would either have to drive, or take the bus from the bus stop?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,874,432 times
Bueller?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:05 PM

30 posts, read 123,936 times
Hudson Valley....ah there are so many beautiful homes I'm looking at online, wish I was there now.
I'm trying to find a spot to live in, where I could either walk or drive to an Amtrak to NYC.
Hudson looks ideal, there's an Amtrak right there, does anyone know much about it? Is it really like young or NYC transplants up there or is there a lot of unsafe areas or welfare struggle?
I'm looking for a decent somewhat village/urban type place not the country. But there are so many amazing homes in the mountains I might do that.
Woodstock seems kind of earthy & creative, does anybody know anything about Saugerties or Kingston? I'm trying to relocate to Hudson Valley and have another place in NYC, with an easy train ride or a drive to the train station.

Living around Williams college is beautiful, I remember it from way back near my college.
I was thinking of trying to be near Hampshire College, and I think with the winter snow it would be impossible to drive from Hudson Valley to western MA, and too far.
What is New Paltz like?
The thing is if you're looking at homes online, you're picking the house not the town!

Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM

222 posts, read 715,777 times
Have you considered Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, NY. Sarah Lawrence is an artsy college with a bit of bohemian vibe, and Bronxville is a beautiful upscale town. It's not really rural per say, but it's lovely. And it's a very convenient 30 minute train ride on Metro North into New York City. You could easily commute to the city if you needed to.

Galee

Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 PM

15 posts, read 85,710 times
New Paltz is a nice college town.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,875,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apples22 View Post
I'm trying to find a spot to live in, where I could either walk or drive to an Amtrak to NYC.
Are you planning to commute from HV to NYC via Amtrak everyday?

Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,910,504 times
Rhinebeck fits your bill..or you can go over the bridge and do New Paltz. I love the hudson valley, very wine and cheese, farmers markets...its such a gem.

Millbrook is another LOVELY town...Access to the city is served by the poughkeepise line and pawling line...and people do it everyday...if you are looking for a small town atmosphere, with a quiet feel, then the hudson valley fits your bill. I would drill it down further and just say dutchess county within the hudson valley area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York