Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 AM

954 posts, read 4,381,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
I live in Staten island. Moved from Brooklyn because brooklyn is a mess, high crime, over (shoddy) development w/o parking. .
Staten Island is for folks who really want to be suburbanites, but don't want to give up all the city has to offer or can't change jobs. I live in South Brooklyn, and absolutely love it. Most people I know who live on Staten Island, think it was better in concept than reality. Now they pay through the nose for tolls or spend half of their life on the ferry, just to get to Manhattan.
Unless you have to have a car, and travel in your work, I can't imagine Staten Island as being a good choice. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 07:43 AM

38 posts, read 124,510 times
I live in Ft. Laud., Fl. 20 years now and still hate it. Yes, it is hot, humid, hurricane manic weather. There are only Palm trees left, esp. after our last hurricane. There are no hills, flowers that bloom, or change of seasons. You have to drive everywhere and the scenery leaves nothing that bring you to nature. People are uptight and live in condo commando housing. Unless you have a ton of money and live near the water, which you will have to evacutate when hurricane panic comes, I say, go North. I am searching for where to go in that direction also!!
Anika

Old 09-24-2006, 08:11 AM

38 posts, read 124,510 times
hatethesouth too, I have been on this forum trying to find my way back North. I am single, 51, youngest 23 still home, also have 3 dogs. I feel us baby boomers and children have gotten a bad rap. We are really on our own and need to stick together in order to survive, unless you are rich. Has anyone heard of CoHousing as an alternate solution, to have a better lifestyle?

Old 09-24-2006, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,148 times
Came upon this website and thread in the course of looking for info related to my upcoming move to Hudson, NY (I'm in Manhattan). It'll be a major life-change, but the price of the house is equal to what I'd be paying in rent in 7 or 8 years. I wish this house had a bigger yard, but my two dogs will be glad for ANY yard! (Funny how one's frame of reference shifts depending on where one is, e.g., Manhattan vs. upstate -- the yard is small by "country" standards and yet if I could have that yard attached to a Manhattan apartment I'd be delighted.) Hudson is a stop on Amtrak (which I wish weren't so expensive -- I had to make a day trip in order to meet with a roofer, and the fare was $88.00 round trip.) I like the fact that one isn't surrounded by "Yankee rednecks" (to use a previous poster's phrase), and so far the people I've met are friendly, including others who have moved from NYC and NJ. Location is convenient: 5 min. to Columbia Memorial Hospital, 5 min. in the other direction to shopping (supermarkets, Staples, a great health food store, etc., etc.), and probably about 45 minutes to places like Tanglewood in MA. I'm divorced w/no kids so can't comment on the schools. Best of luck to all!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:01 PM

161 posts, read 1,050,282 times
Last Sunday I believe it was, NY Newsday had a big spread on where Long Islanders are moving to. Naturally all of the south locations such as Fl, NC, SC, MD and so on were all listed, but overwhelmingly nearly half of all Long Islanders who move, move to other New York destinations, mostly upstate.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:28 PM

262 posts, read 1,233,578 times
That's very interesting but where are all these people? Anyone I talk to who wants to move, is going south.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:44 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,347,388 times
I am also sick of the South. I live in Oklahoma now (wasteland) but grew up in St. Paul, Minnesota and have lived and travelled all over the USA. The South has become one big Wal Mart attached to an ugly strip mall next to a block full of baptist churches. I'm sick of the terrible heat and humidity, the lack of culture, the rednecks, ultra-conservatives, hardcore in-your-face christians, the whole shebang.

I would love-- LOVE to get my family to upstate NY or maybe somewhere in Vermont. My children have hardly even seen snow! And, unless you REALLY like (or give a crap about) high school or college football, there is nothing here except to do what most people do-- pretend you're in a gang, guzzle beer and trawl around in your big pickup.

People in the South have a pre-formed opinion of Northerners being snooty, pretentious jerks, but in my experience, Southerners are far less open minded and welcoming.

I'm still young and so is my family--is it so crazy just to want a decent job in a BLUE STATE?

Someone get me the hell outta here. Anyone got any tips on library jobs? (I get my masters degree this December...)

Old 09-25-2006, 06:13 AM

161 posts, read 1,050,282 times
NYMOM, Many are doing what I did and moving to smaller upstate cities. I relocated from Long Island to Syracuse, you wouldn't believe how often I run into former "downstaters" Many go to Rochester, Albany, The Adirondacks, Binghamton, Syracuse, the Catskills.(I don't know much about Buffalo) Some leave Long Island to the north suburbs of the city like Westchester and Rockland.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,611,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
That's very interesting but where are all these people? Anyone I talk to who wants to move, is going south.
That's because those are the people you socialize with; the ones who are in similar situations such as yourself. A lot of northerners, whether justified or not, simply don't like the idea of moving south without ever even going there. Nothing wrong with that, they want to stay closer to home. That's actually not a surprising statistic at all. Unless a person truly hates the area they live in; if they are looking to relocate for economic and affordability reasons; they are going to try and stay as close to home as they can. According to the census extimates from Wikipedia; the number one state that New Yorkers (meaning the whole state) are moivng to is Pennsylvania..... followed of course by Florida; then New Jersey, and in 4th place NC. There are tons of Long Islanders in the Rochester area; usually it's one spouse that is a Rochester area native, that met the other spouse, a NYC area native, in an Upstate college. They got married, and decided to stay upstate because it was more affordable, yet still close enough to the other spouse's family in the NYC area. Believe it or not; the South is not the utopic hopefull destination of everyone who wants to move from their hometown.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,347,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Believe it or not; the South is not the utopic hopefull destination of everyone who wants to move from their hometown.
Yeah, I think people have an image of a "Mayberry" South, with big antebellum plantation homes, rolling landscape, friendly simple folks and blueberry pies cooling in every window.

Well, maybe SOME parts of the South, decades ago. But it ain't like that anymore. Development is everywhere, the soul is gone (whatever there was of it), mega-churches and Wal Marts everywhere you turn, and if you want land and good property, it's as expensive as anywhere else.

And the weather is miserable. Gimme winter any day over the hellish summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York