Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,017 times

Advertisements

We just moved to a little village about 30 minutes from Binghamton. That's a big commute for these folks up here. I was born in NYC, lived right on top of the Lincoln Tunnel for most of my life and here we are in the boonies, and we love it. Binghamton is a good job market, for me anyway, as a legal secretary. We bought a 3-level home on 2 acres for $110,000. That's not even a down payment in NY or NJ. As the weather goes so far, we thought it would never stop snowing, and now it rains like we're in Ireland, or Seattle. But when the sun is out, it's the most beautiful green farmland you'll ever see. Upstate NY is one of the prettiest parts of the world, and I didn't know the skies had so many stars at night. We love it. Even with all the snow, the roads seem to be driveable the next morning. Commuting to Binghamton would be NOTHING compared to commuting to NYC. Good luck with your searching!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,725 times
Heh...this is a fun thread to read.
I'm born and raised in North Carolina and lived here all my life. That said--
If I won the lottery or the publishers clearing house sweepstakes or something like that, the FIRST thing I'd do is move to Manhattan! LOL

Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,159 times
I moved my family from Brooklyn to Schroon Lake, NY in the Adirondack Mts and unfortunately after 5 years, we're looking to move. I think if we'd moved to Queensbury, we would have been a bit happier, more activites, housing, anonymity. The locals in my town can't stand city people, or summer people, 2nd home owners or the other wonderful pet names "cidiots" or "transit trash" , and they have no problem voicing their opinions loudly. Around the 4th of July you can go anywhere in this small town and here locals crying and moaning about the traffic and noise. They forget that without the tourists their happy little gift shops and quaint bistros would shut down because the townsfolk don't even support each other during the winter. A mere 6 miles north is a town that has people that still use the dreadful "N" word in everyday conversation and are amazingly rude and obnoxious. We are very friendly people and expected that feeling to be reciprocated in a small town in NYS. Unfortunately we were mistaken. There are people who come here and enjoy all that this area has to offer, esp the beauty of the Adirondacks, but they are the smart ones who stick to themselves and don't allow themselves to be sucked into the whole rumor mongering atmosphere that exists here. My experience is that you are better off moving here if you don't have children, because with kids you just have to be more vocal and visible and that's when people start taking the 8+ months of sub-zero weather to sit home and create wonderful rumors to spread about you. I sound bitter - I am. I am so tired of hearing how bad NYC people are when right here exists the total opposite of small town hospitality and friendliness. Sorry for the rant.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:23 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,423 times
Default Got my fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
Heh...this is a fun thread to read.
I'm born and raised in North Carolina and lived here all my life. That said--
If I won the lottery or the publishers clearing house sweepstakes or something like that, the FIRST thing I'd do is move to Manhattan! LOL
Dude,

If you win the lotto, let me know and I will show you around.
Its big, dirty, noisy and I can't understand a word half the people are saying, but I love it!

Old 07-13-2006, 05:26 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,423 times
Default Yankee Rednecks

[quote=bklyngirl@heart] A mere 6 miles north is a town that has people that still use the dreadful "N" word in everyday conversation and are amazingly rude and obnoxious. QUOTE]

You have run into a strange animal that I call the Yankee Redneck. A more obnoxious creature does not exist.

Hope you can find a nicer town. Hang in there.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:06 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,770 times
Default I would DEFINITELY move north!

I was born and raised until I was 10 in Brooklyn, NY. It was, at least back in the day, a good place to live. Since then I've lived in NJ, VT, PA and back to NJ. NJ, as I'm sure all of you are aware of, is MAD expensive. Its a decent place to live still, depending on where you are in the state. If anyone here wants to know what its like to live down South, trying living in South Jersey first. Rent a place in Salem, Cumberland, or Gloucester county. I did- its a completely different world than North Jersey. It truly has a southern feel.

Pennsylvania is a mix of the Midwest, the South and the Northeast all mixed together, especially where I lived just outside Philadelphia. Its a mix that is quite strange. People are friendly, but not too friendly, just real and somewhat gritty. Philadelphia is big, noisy and dirty, yet quiet, green, and easy to navigate all at one time. Hard to explain; it's nothing like NYC, nothing like any other city I've been to. It grows on you. It doesn't have the pretentiousness and snobbery of Boston, nor is it nearly as high strung as NYC.

But my favorite place to live was Vermont. I also love upstate near Vermont. I plan to move to the Capital Region within one year. I love the snow, the isolation, the cold, the grey skies, the old industrial cities. The South is sterile, everything is new, convenient, impersonal. Buildings designed to get the job done, not to intrigue the senses. Modern geometric style isn't style. Endless chain resturants. Cookie cutter developments. I went to a gas station down in Virginia, and not only do you pump your own gas, theres no attendant to pay. You put your money in one machine, fill up, it gives you a reciept with a code that you punch into another machine, and it gives back a refund. It was a completely unmanned gas station. The woman next to me filling up loved the idea, I thought it was sad. Despite the cold, there was a warmth I felt living in Vermont and Upstate that I don't feel anywhere south of there.

If there is anyone also planning a move to the Capital Region within the next year, get in touch with me on here. I would love to share experiences regarding the move.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 80,808 times
Default Goin South

Need about 7 more years on job to retire Will not go south! I can't stand the heat in Yonkers now Maybe NH or upstate NY....Forget Long Island The Tri-State area is just to expensive.........

Old 07-18-2006, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 28,254 times
Charlotte, NC area - Beautiful affordable, people are great. try this website www.allentate.com

Charlotte Region then I like area 10 (Union County)- you will see what I mean by that when you get to that site. But south/southeast/north-northeast (area 1) are good. Stay away from West by the airport. You'llget the jist at least of what's there.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:07 PM

24 posts, read 127,293 times
Default Moving from NY

I am from NYC (lived in Brooklyn and Staten Island). In 1989 I thought the grass would be greener moving to the South. Boy was I wrong!! We moved to Phoenix Arizona and it was the worst place I ever lived in all my life. At first I liked it because it was clean and spacious. However after a few years I became sooo home sick and desperate to move back east. The heat there was unbearable. The expression "dry heat" is a myth. It is scorching hot and miserable and I now hate summers more than ever. I experienced enough heat to last a life time. I would also not recommend living in Florida. Although my dad lives there and loves it, I've visited several times and the humidity is oppressive (also being from the North you may miss the "4" seasons.)

I now live in Richmond VA - another BIG mistake. Although there is natural beauty here, the white southerners are the meanest and rudest people on earth (my personal experience). And since I have a strong NYC accent they totally avoid me. Also it is still too hot here and it doesn't snow as much as I would like it too. I am hoping to move to the Delaware/Philadelphia area as it is less expensive than NY and still close enough to visit NYC for the shopping and great food.

I strongly suggest you do not move down South. As mentioned on a previous message to you, a job can be found anywhere -and with some sort of experience it's even easier. I've done accounting several years and had no problems finding jobs in Phoenix or in VA.

Money is not everything. Hope you make the best decision for you and your family.

NYCGIRL

Old 07-22-2006, 04:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
I also strongly suggest NOT moving south.... having moved to NC from Upstate NY 11 years ago. I'm not trying to move back to Rochester. Imarcos.... I would suggest you look into Upstate NY as a place to live. If somewhat close to NYC is a priority; I'd suggest the Albany area. Upstate NY is WAY more affordable than anywhere in the Boston, NYC. Philadelphia areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York