Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 11,768 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've been reading some of the posts on Warwick New York. We are thinking of moving to the town as well. We'd like to get something in the village on the public sewer/water/gas lines but one question that we have is about the center of the village. One home we are looking at around the park on South Street (not far from the Park Elementary School) is nicely maintained but on a small lot right next to the park. We'd like to be within walking distance to the center of the town (which this obviously is) but we were wondering about noise. The park of course has young children during the day, which is not a problem for us, but what we were concerned about is whether there might be any later night activity in the park, such as teens hanging around etc. And how late at night does that go, if there is?
Another question we have is whether the homes in the downtown area seem to be maintaining good condition (or going up in condition) or if there has been any signs of decay. Everything looks really nice to us, except of course the area near the CVS, but we'd like to know what others who live in Warwick think. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 11:44 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,878 times
The park generally isn't a problem. People are out of the park by dark, however kids sometimes hang around near the park's parking area. The cops keep an eye on the place and mostly it's just talking or hanging-out; nothing loud.

My one concern with South Street isn't the park, but the road noise. South Street is one of the main arteries into the village, servicing three housing developments, one of which is high-density. You will have cars passing by just about all the time including the night. Now that the village has unwisely dropped the speed limit on Forester to 20mph and put a completely useless stop sign in the middle of it to please the elderly voters living in the senior housing complex on Forester at the inconvenience of the other 30,000 residents (ahem), people coming from Homestead Village and Greenwood Lake and the city now avoid Forester and take South instead. You will want to make sure you have a/c, earplugs, soundproof windows, or a high tolerance for road noise and headlight reflections if your bedroom faces the street at all.

The area by CVS, including Spring and McEwen, used to be Warwick's ghetto. Since Warwick has become vaguely fashionable, however, the whole village has become nice. The mayor's house is on McEwen. I wouldn't worry about anything in that sense. The village houses are now better maintained than at any time in the past.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 44,931 times
Hey Jason, what's the commute to NYC like from Warwick? Bus or train? How much time does it take to get there?

Old 04-22-2007, 06:15 PM

287 posts, read 1,460,640 times
Im not Jason but Warwick isnt first choice if you are a commuter. Its a bit away from the direct routes, perhaps you would do better in Monroe or Goshen, they are a bit closer to major highways. Warwick is nice though.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcain View Post
Hey Jason, what's the commute to NYC like from Warwick? Bus or train? How much time does it take to get there?
We have a bus but no train. We used to 100 years ago, but not lately. If you want to take the train you're out of luck. The bus is pretty damn dismal, even the express. The roads are twisty and winding and the trip takes some time.

Here is a copy of the current bus schedule:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1196.pdf

We have a park and ride. If you want to take the train you'll have to drive to the park and ride, minimum of 10 miles on 2-lane roads, get the train to Hoboken, take the PATH, then take the subway where you need to go.

My stepfather worked in midtown and he got up at 4:30am every morning to drive to Tuxedo to take the bus from there rather than take the Warwick bus.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:28 AM

That's a huge bummer.

Any idea what the total commute time is if you take the train option?

Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 AM

Oops, my mistake!

You can take the MTA to Hoboken to go downtown or to Secaucus to go to Penn Station. This is good to know.

There are two reasonable station options if you live in Warwick, Harriman and Tuxedo. Tuxedo has a wait list for parking permits as their parking area is tiny and to get from Warwick to Tuxedo you have to drive over two mountains with hazardous roads. See the map below.

Driving Directions from Warwick to Tuxedo.

The drive from Warwick to Tuxedo is about half an hour if the roads are good and you don't get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle. In winter it can take much longer as the roads are trecherous just by their nature of being so twisty. If you look at the satellite image carefully, you'll see what I mean. Many people who drive over it daily choose an AWD vehicle.

Harriman is easier and just slightly longer to get to at about 40 minutes on a good day in normal moving traffic. The good news there is that Metro North is building a bigger park and ride facility as it had gotten so crowded people were parking on the highway.

You can get the MTA schdules for Tuxdeo and Harriman here:

http://www.njtransit.com/sf_tr_schedules.shtml (broken link)

Old 04-23-2007, 03:41 PM

hahah oh man, mountains and twisty roads...this is going to be quite an adventure from living in Orlando.....our highest peak is Space Mountain at Disney.

Thanks for all the info, we're going up this weekend to start our research. If you see babes in the woods, that would be us!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcain View Post
hahah oh man, mountains and twisty roads...this is going to be quite an adventure from living in Orlando.....our highest peak is Space Mountain at Disney.

Thanks for all the info, we're going up this weekend to start our research. If you see babes in the woods, that would be us!
Do yourself a big favor and run these commutes as a test drive. Warwick is enormous as townships go and the times I gave you were from the village.

The road from Warwick to Tuxedo is brilliant. On a clear day and with no one ahead of you, it's a blast to run. There are two magnificent chicanes, each going in opposite direction, one right after the other, preceded by a great decreasing-radius hairpin turn. People come from around to drive it just for fun. Right after the twisty part, comes a nearly empty bit of 4 lane highway good for all-out speed runs. With no cops or other cars around, it's one of the most enjoyable pieces of road I've ever driven. In winter it's different and during commuter hours in any season it's a conga line. Surprisingly few accidents though, perhaps it's so alarming for those who don't like to drive for fun that fear forces them to pay attention? Dunno.

We have some excellent restaurants and B&Bs. I suggest bringing a car GPS receiver with you so you can feel free to explore without getting lost.

You're very welcome, but don't go in the woods. They're infested with ticks carrying Lyme disease.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 50,697 times
Hello... We are considering a move to Warwick (from CT) and I have some questions. Where in town do families with children tend to gather? We're coming from a town that has an awesome park (complete w/ pool, tennis, basketball, b-ball, lake w/ swimming beach, hiking and biking trails) and it's definitely the place to meet and greet. We've been to Warwick on several house hunting expeditions and have played at the village park with our two boys (4 and 6), but haven't encountered many families with small children (even at the park, which was somewhat empty all three times we visited). I grew up in New Jersey (much more congested than where we are now) and still have some ingrained need to see crowds, large or small, now and then... Mostly, I wonder where my children will meet friends (other than through school). I would love to hear from Warwick natives, as well as transplants who might be in a similar situation. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York