Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 PM

6 posts, read 43,275 times

Advertisements

Thanks mom2gurls - I appreciate your forthright input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMover View Post
Thanks mom2gurls - I appreciate your forthright input.

No problem....there is much more to test scores and the grand idea of "revitalization" and what not. But as a resident of dutchess (and three kids later)...I drive by the massive prisons right down from the 84...and it gives me the heebie jeebies.

Honestly, if you ask a realtor "how are the schools in the arlington (where I live) district or "wappingers"..because of the legal stuff, they cannot steer you, but most realtors will say "do your research, but from what I hear they are good schools"--some will openly say (as in our case--when we purchased )--the ONLY school to consider is arlington.

If you ask about beacon or poughkeepsie schools...you usually dont get an answer or you just get the vanilla response of "do your research".

There are alot of wonderful mcmansions in the beacon area and I believe they go to the glenham elementry and their test scores are improving..but the concern of those parents is that what happens when middle school and high school roll around?

Most of the locals know that if you bought one of those homes instead of in the more desired family areas..that you probably got a good deal on it and schools or quality didnt matter---or you were private schooling.

I hate that we have to relo. I put my home up on the market only 4 days ago and I already have a showing and a brokers tour comming in...I think my big saving grace is the arlington schools name...its a private school education for free (and my dh went to prep school his whole life and he is amazed).

Old 06-02-2009, 06:45 AM

6 posts, read 43,275 times
Good luck with the move, mom2gurls. We have decided to stay in the NYC area and have put in an offer on a short-sale. Nerve wracking! Summer trips to the Hudson Valley are a must though, so beautiful.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,898 times
Default Did you move?

My husband and I are in a similar situation, considering a move from Brooklyn. I found your post and wonder if you did move and how it has been?
Thanks!
Margot

Old 03-13-2010, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,795 times
I've lived in Beacon for the past 8 years and I love it. It's affordable, it's fun, it's close to everything. However, I do have a 4 year old and I do not plan to send her to Beacon schools. While I love this town/ city, I just feel there is too much of a low-income, low-class element left in the schools and I want something better for my child. We really don't want to move, because as I said it is a great place to live, so we will have to pay the high price of private school. I don't think the schools are bad educationally, I just think there is an element that I would like my child to avoid. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:07 PM

30 posts, read 60,152 times
I grew up in Beacon and graduated from Beacon High School in the 70s. I even have relatives from the 1880s buried in St. Joachim's Cemetary. I haven't been back in years, but I see the bigotry lives on. That's one thing I remember most about Beacon.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM

71 posts, read 212,155 times
Schools in Beacon?

A NIGHTMARE! Please NO!

Special Education like me- Retards that must get a good enough education. (I know well I am not retarded)
Regular kids- Cookie-cutter education
Honors Society- Advanced classes to make our district look good

For Special Ed students, stay away from ALL districts in Dutchess.
For Regular students, stay away from Beacon and Poughkeepsie at least.
For Honors Students, it doesn't generally matter, preferably Wappingers.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowrue View Post
I grew up in Beacon and graduated from Beacon High School in the 70s. I even have relatives from the 1880s buried in St. Joachim's Cemetary. I haven't been back in years, but I see the bigotry lives on. That's one thing I remember most about Beacon.
Best said. I feel that's the most appropriate word for Beacon City Schools. Many other districts in Dutchess too.

I'd just say look for the best district to put your schools, and like I said before, if your kids are Special Ed, STAY AWAY FROM DUTCHESS. Special Ed (I am one, I'm not putting them down) kids only fit in certain places in Orange and Westchester counties. I don't know about Putnum or Rockland.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxosaryoxx View Post
ehh no. i just graduated from beacon high, and the schools are ALOT better.
the new high school began its first year 5 years ago, and the gang-fights have seemed to be almost non existant. the sports teams have been doing ALOT better, and the community is more involved. yes, there maybe poverty and there may be low-income housing, but they are respectable housing, and the highschool has alot to offer the kids. rombout was just renovated last year, and the elementary schools are doing better as well. so just because the "poor houses" are still there doesnt mean the education is the same.-
If the forum moderator is ready to kick my fancy, so be it, but I need to put my third and last cent in for one last topic.

As a Special Ed student, I will address my issues of felt hate, and discrimination towards me so those viewing this forum may see two different people and how they feel in they way they've been treated.

"and the gang-fights have seemed to be almost non existant"
Correct, but there's a fight every few weeks in the high school. RIDICULOUS. I've personally never encountered them personally or seen one.

the sports teams have been doing ALOT better,
Personally, I can object to that, but I really have nothing to say about sports anyways.

and the community is more involved
In what ways? The Special Ed kid's parents fighting for their kids to ACTUALLY BE EDUCATED. That's one of the biggest parent groups I've seen. There's a good deal of parents who don't want to be bothered.

and the highschool has alot to offer the kids
At last check, there isn't a single solitary group directed towards Special Education groups in Beacon, so that means "normal kids" only I guess. The district is a good deal bigoted and about the money. I'm very serious. If you're Special Ed, there's a song and dance all us Special Ed kids can go on the truth about employers to dinky part-time jobs in Beacon haveing a big problem with hiring us Special Ed kids, JUST BECAUSE WE'RE SPECIAL ED, nothing else, whether we can do the job or not, same with finding out we're Special Ed and then firing us. Yes seriously. I heard of something in Poughkeepsie, but they shove all the little bit of stuff for us Special Ed kids in the City of Poughkeepsie, resources, pretty much everything, that's the hard-to-fathom truth. Also, it seems everything Special Ed kids can do is usually in Poughkeepsie or Northern Wappingers. Pathetic.

rombout was just renovated last year
They built onto it. A few new classrooms, I'm simply jumping for joy. The teacher's still pick favorites in Rombout. Yes, a teacher said to my mother's face she shouldn't help me or change her ways because she treats all her students the same. She continued to take points off my average and refused to say way. I said if it's my fault for loosing points so be it, but please tell me why I lost the points is all. She refused to answer. Many other teachers in Rombout are like this. The Unification of Beacon City Schools obviously means there is a Teacher's Union present which prevents the incompetent teachers from being fired.

elementary schools are doing better as well
I certainly hope so. I originally attended J.V. Forrestal. I am Autistic and Anxietic (mental disorders), so change is the hardest for me, really hard at young age. What did they do? I'm comfortable with the school, finally, I attended J.V. for K-2. Grade 3, they split a whole bunch of Special Ed kids to Sargent, Glenham, and South Ave. I was one of them. That's the poorest decision, likely in the history of Beacon City Schools for at least Special Education students. I was in tears, and the district had no concern because they were unaware of how change of schools like that can harm Special Ed kids with disorders like I had. You're saying, well you must change schools for Middle School and High School, correct sir. Correct, but I was comfortable with the J.V. staff and the school and it's resources and I was being ripped away out of my will when I could have attended three more years comfortably at my home school. It's not a huge deal, but it's another something by the elementary schools doing well I hope you mean not mistreating Special Ed kids too.

so just because the "poor houses" are still there doesnt mean the education is the same
But my friend, judging by the bigotry of Beacon City Schools "back then", it has not changed, so the claim housing being crapping, but education has changed so much is certainly a false one, and I personally protest to say not much change is to be observed in Beacon City Schools.

Thanks for reading and I hope it helps.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
Schools in Beacon?

A NIGHTMARE! Please NO!

Special Education like me- Retards that must get a good enough education. (I know well I am not retarded)
Regular kids- Cookie-cutter education
Honors Society- Advanced classes to make our district look good

For Special Ed students, stay away from ALL districts in Dutchess.
For Regular students, stay away from Beacon and Poughkeepsie at least.
For Honors Students, it doesn't generally matter, preferably Wappingers.
I'd stay away from Wappingers too for the Honors program. After sitting in on parents night and listening to the teacher tell us our 7th grade 12-13 years olds are going to come home stressed, upset, and be laden with hours worth of homework, it was the worst decision I've ever made to let my child be in honors. They also will tell you not to let your child in honors do sports-they frown on it at Van Wyck at least. The other problem that the district didn't address due to the pressures that the teachers put on those kids were that many were cutting themselves. Is that really worth it? Another point is that after 11th grade there is no more honor classes. Only AP. Problem there is most of them have a wait list-my child was on one for history where 35 kids tried to get into in and never did get in. I've got another who I found out was being recommended for honors-but the information never made it home from school. Too late I was told-they already made classes for next Sept. So a kid with a overall average of 96 will be going into regular classes and be a much happier child without added pressure. Let's face it-after you get done with college-does anyone truly care if you did honors as a 15 year old? Nope, not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York